General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Mother of All Road Trips, coming to a town near you

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:18 AM

The Mother of All Road Trips, coming to a town near you

Well the plan is to leave the thriving metropolis of Forest Ranch Ca. about the 8th of next month in the 55 and head north east till we hit South Dakota.The agenda is purely to be a tourist voyager and wander around mostly back roads till I am or wife is bored or we are broke (witch ever comes first).The Idea is to hit as many of the popular places of interest like Yellowstone the Cody museum, Custers Last Stand, Wounded Knee, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis. then wander around just taking in any local sites that are of interest, may even do a local car show if I can find one.

If anyone has any ideas on points of interest or car show in the areas I have mentioned please post them and I'll make up a list and if there is time (we are allowing for three weeks) we will check them out. We both like historical things but anything fun will do just fine.I hope to here from Y'all.

With any luck I will be able to do a few update posts on the road using hotel internet connections and such. More to follow i.m sure....Tedd
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Sounds like fun Ted, hope you guys have a trouble free trip.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:31 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

If youve heading to Deadwood and Sturgis SD I highly recommend going thru the black hills if youve never been. Devils tower in Wyoming, The hot springs (chico) in Livingston Mont, just outside of yellowstone is a great place to stay after a long road trip. If you end up going north into montana, Glacier nat park is a great drive.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:57 PM
MOTORHEAD

Mister Tedd
wish you the best on your venture east
happy motoring
Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:23 PM

Crazy horse is very close to Mt. Rushmore. You should couple that in. Also, make sure to go to Custer State park (also next to Rushmore), a great scenic drive past and through buffalo herds. You'll go by Scott's bluff Nebraska not too far south of Rushmore. Another good stop. If you exit yellowstone from the Silver gate (Montana), the shoshonee highway (spelling?) back down to Cody is very nice.
Make sure you go to the rodeo in Cody. The museum is lots of fun too.
I just love the west!
Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:32 PM

Chief Joseph Highway, Bear's Tooth are great roads. Stayed at Wild Bill Cody ranch one night. If you get up to Salmon,ID stay at the Syringa Lodge. If you can't get into Syringa Lodge, try 100 Acre Ranch. Lolo Pass is a nice ride.
Joseph Oregon is a beautiful place and is close to Hell's Canyon (jet boat ride). After Glacier Park head down to Lewiston Idaho and try the spiral highway a couple of times. Have fun Ted!
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:

I admire how you take your car out on the road and enjoy it. Have a good trip.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:27 AM

Sounds like fun Tedd, Looking forward to pictures and stories from you on the road
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Tedd:

I admire how you take your car out on the road and enjoy it. Have a good trip.
x2. I've never understood trailer queens. That's like dating a beauty queen that won't fool around with you in case she messes her hair. Can't help you out on locations ... you're still further west than I've ever been. But take lots of photos ... we want to share the fun. Also, don't make my mistake ... if you need help, hit the web. There's always someone close enough to lend a hand. I blew the engine out of my old pontiac transport pulling our camper back to montreal from Atlanta going through a toll booth on the NJ turnpike. Wasn't until I got home and went back online that I discovered that I was less that 15 minutes from a guy I talked with daily. A guy with a rig more than capable of getting us home. Expensive mistake.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:54 AM

Thanks guys, I'm making a list of the places you guys have recommended, some were on my list already.

I have been working on the car all winter doing mostly small stuff and at this point I know of nothing that needs to be looked after repaired or adjusted., It's probably the best ever for the car since the first year of the restoration 13 years ago. I feel pretty confident that it will hang together for the trip or as confident as one can be on a almost 60 year old car.This isn't our first rodeo and she has taken us over many long trips but this will be by far the longest probably 3500 4000 miles so our fingers will be optimistically crossed.

If someone knows of a car show or a publication that lists car shows in the Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana area please let me know as I think it would be fun to do a show sometime during the trip. ...Thanks again ...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:11 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You are taking off on a 3500 - 4000 mile trip and I am nervous about doing a 200 mile round trip this weekend to the Oldsmobile show in Granbury. Of course I have actually only owned my car for a little less than a year even though I have been involved with it for about 12 years. It has not seen any road time in that period. I think I will be fine but it is a 60 year old car. I am really looking forward to the trip and show. My 50th high school class reunion is in October this year and I want to go in the car. It is about 300 miles each way. Me and the car will be ready but I have not convinced my wife.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:35 AM

Have A great trip Tedd! I hope to have mine travel throught that neck of the woods in a couple years...
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
You are taking off on a 3500 - 4000 mile trip and I am nervous about doing a 200 mile round trip this weekend to the Oldsmobile show in Granbury. Of course I have actually only owned my car for a little less than a year even though I have been involved with it for about 12 years. It has not seen any road time in that period. I think I will be fine but it is a 60 year old car. I am really looking forward to the trip and show. My 50th high school class reunion is in October this year and I want to go in the car. It is about 300 miles each way. Me and the car will be ready but I have not convinced my wife.
We often go on 1000- 1200 mile trips and I have never limped home or had to be towed( I have good tow insurance for that should I need it)but the farther away from home the more concerned I become naturely.It's been my belief that when you put a car together do it as though you were putting it back as if it were new.... Then drive it as if it were new. There is hardly anything on my car that goes around and around or up and down that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced and it has fewer actual miles than any of the daily drivers we have so in theory we should be OK......Tedd
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:19 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun - I await doing that after retiring on the left coast. Pretty sure you have AAA, right? I have and never used it but it is great peace of mind.
Look forward to hearing about it and seeing the pictures!
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:46 AM

I do have AAA long distance plus Grundy's also has a policy that I can use if I run out of AAA.

On the left coast we have a publication called The Cruisin News which list most of the local car shows does anyone know of a like publication for the central US or anything similar? I'm still looking for a car show to attend on this trip ....Tedd
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

Tedd, Your trip sounds like alot of fun. Ive seen ads on craigslist for car shows (usually around sturgis) Hope this helps some. Were kinda in a vacume out this way, and end up travelling alot of distance for larger type shows. Some of the larger towns have friday or saturday night cruise ins with local car clubs. Im looking forward to any updates you post.

http://www.ndsra.com/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=1149

http://www.ndsra.com/events

I know your not hitting ND but it may lead to other links...

http://carshownationals.com/wordpress/may-car-shows

I recommend back to the 50s if youve never been (minnesota)

Last edited by barnfind; April 24th, 2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old April 24th, 2014, 02:50 PM

Thanks Brian, GEESE there a bugger batch of shows on that link! It will take sometime to sort them out but that is what I was looking for...Thanks again.... Tedd