General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

moment of truth

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2022, 04:17 PM

moment of truth

i am about to start ordering parts and obviously, the decision is ultimately mine, but i would like to feel out the group on a some opinions about my 65 442 rebuild. this car is all original, 400 4 speed, manual brakes, manual steering, i have the protecto plate, albiet hard to read, it stamped the previous page perfect and all the important info is there. i am struggling with the decision to stay factory original and go for overall restored value, or i do i add options such as power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning? this car isn't a flip but value is always a priority for me if i do ever sell. i plan on driving this car often, it will not be a trailer queen, nor will it be a garage ornament. i plan on painting the car the factory ocean mist paint color but it came with a black top, and black seats. i kinda like the idea of a white top but will most likely keep the black seats. i am going to keep the dash factory original and probably just bring a blue tooth speaker while driving. i will most likely go with a bigger tire to fill the wheel well, but my go to has always been a corvette rally wheel, just something about the way they make the these cars stand. once again, i'm building the car to enjoy, but i'd like to keep original value in mind to a degree. thanks in advance for any opinions,
Old March 24th, 2022, 04:26 PM

I’d say do what you want and if you’re worried that adding comforts will take away any original value in the future, throw the original parts in a couple plastic totes and put ‘em on a shelf.
Old March 24th, 2022, 05:20 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Add the accessories, change the top color and enjoy the ride - if it's really your plan for it to be a driver, build it like one and you won't look back. What you put in can always be taken out if it becomes a resale issue later.

If it wasn't an a/c car originally, the Vintage Air kit is great add-on, minimally invasive, essentially a total bolt-on that won't take up a lot of space
Old March 24th, 2022, 05:21 PM

Like said above, if you make changes, keep the original parts and they can go with the car if you ever sell. That way you can advertise complete originality.
Old March 24th, 2022, 06:13 PM
Oldsdruid

Power steering and brakes and airconditioning could all be dealer installed back in those years. If they make the car easier for you to live with I don't see any problem adding them.

Chevy rally wheels? I don't like them even on Chevrolets, but your car.
Old March 24th, 2022, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Agreed

"Adding value"? Meh, anything you do can add value if done correctly and tastefully.
Old March 24th, 2022, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 68cutlasssss
I’d say do what you want and if you’re worried that adding comforts will take away any original value in the future, throw the original parts in a couple plastic totes and put ‘em on a shelf.
gospel right there !! As long as your not cutting up things and it can be easily returned have at it, and have a much more enjoyable ride my 2 cents
Old March 24th, 2022, 06:31 PM

Change the Master cylinder to a dual circuit. Makes the car much safer
Old March 24th, 2022, 08:05 PM

yea, i agree with what you guys are saying, and i was thinking the same, i just needed the nudge to say it was ok to change an all original car. i have looked in to the vintage air system and it sure is nice, but i also have a 66 4 door that has air, and power steering, that i was considering cutting up for parts. at least that way my upgrades are factory correct. only thing that would probably be after market would be a disc brake kit, but, it's a bolt on option. thanks guys, now for the fun part, finding parts. door panels and seat skins from OPG are one year out...guess i might be sewing my own seats and re-using the door panels for now.
Old March 24th, 2022, 08:32 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

White tops... you will e a slave to keeping it clean. Vinyl that is.
Make it how you want it.
K code Ocean Mist poly, very cool color,
Do your homework on the Corvette rally wheel as far as offset; Jegs & Summit have them new ~$70 ea for 15". 18 are ~240 ea.
Jegs sells a whole kit 15" with the 68 & up derby caps

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/6812...hoCKhUQAvD_BwE
Old March 24th, 2022, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Agreed

"Adding value"? Meh, anything you do can add value if done correctly and tastefully.

i despise the Chevy rally wheels. Why do they end up on everything GM? Unite possibly the ugliest rally wheel ever made. And those center caps are probably by far the heaviest made. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if the NHRA rule against non bolt-on center caps on the track are due to the Chevy rally caps. One of those comes off at speed, ouch!!!
Old March 24th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Rocket Renegade!

You sound like a guy who is honestly concerned about doing right by your car and being a good steward of its provenance. Within that framework, make yourself happy. Adding factory-style options that are period correct won't hurt anything and if it bugs a potential new owner, well, it can be easily put back. That's the rule of thumb: don't do anything that can't be undone.

I personally draw the line at putting anything on a car that couldn't have been ordered from the factory for that year. If I had your car I would look at optimizing the drum brake system rather than swapping for discs. The way most collector vehicles get driven, the extra fade resistance from a disc set-up won't be noticed anyway.

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; March 24th, 2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old March 24th, 2022, 09:11 PM

As others mentioned, it’s your car. Do whatever you want to ensure you enjoy it.

The world has enough “garage art” meaning people who never drive their classics. Anything that encourages you to get the car out of the garage and actually drive it is a winner in my book. As for the disc brakes, I’d definitely upgrade to a dual braking system, even if you keep the drums. The single pot master cylinder should have gone away long before 1965.

Since I’ll never be in the market for a 100% original muscle car, I’m probably the wrong person to offer an opinion. Every vehicle I own has something modified to fit my personality, I have never owned anything 100% stock. Some people are into that, and while I can appreciate it, it’s not high on my list of interests. I do understand the appeal, how many people really did leave their cars alone? For a car to have made it almost 60 years with the original engine,trans, and in unmolested condition has got to be pretty rare.
Old March 24th, 2022, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
gospel right there !! As long as your not cutting up things and it can be easily returned have at it, and have a much more enjoyable ride my 2 cents
Originally Posted by 70sgeek
Add the accessories, change the top color and enjoy the ride - if it's really your plan for it to be a driver, build it like one and you won't look back. What you put in can always be taken out if it becomes a resale issue later.

If it wasn't an a/c car originally, the Vintage Air kit is great add-on, minimally invasive, essentially a total bolt-on that won't take up a lot of space
Originally Posted by 70W-32
Change the Master cylinder to a dual circuit. Makes the car much safer
Originally Posted by 68cutlasssss
Originally Posted by rocketraider
Power steering and brakes and airconditioning could all be dealer installed back in those years. If they make the car easier for you to live with I don't see any problem adding them.

Originally Posted by matt69olds
As others mentioned, it’s your car. Do whatever you want to ensure you enjoy it.

The world has enough “garage art” meaning people who never drive their classics. Anything that encourages you to get the car out of the garage and actually drive it is a winner in my book. As for the disc brakes, I’d definitely upgrade to a dual braking system, even if you keep the drums. The single pot master cylinder should have gone away long before 1965.

Since I’ll never be in the market for a 100% original muscle car, I’m probably the wrong person to offer an opinion. Every vehicle I own has something modified to fit my personality, I have never owned anything 100% stock. Some people are into that, and while I can appreciate it, it’s not high on my list of interests. I do understand the appeal, how many people really did leave their cars alone? For a car to have made it almost 60 years with the original engine,trans, and in unmolested condition has got to be pretty rare.
yes sir. very rare. mine is all there, but it was in pieces when i got it. i can see both sides. my car won't be garage art, it will be going by you on the road, my garage art is on the wall, and all though accepted by the majority, is probably not appropriate to post. lol . i'm thinking stock look for sure, the motor is going .030 with step up from stock roller cam, hei ignition. will do the dual master cylinder and front disc brakes at minimum.