General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Minneapolis stuck on stupid

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Minneapolis stuck on stupid

Have you ever wanted to slap the stupid out of someone? There is a guy that is driving a 68 cutlass convert in the winter I saw the salt all over the sides of a fire engine red Cutlass. Makes me want to cry it's a cherry car but not for long, one slippery road and crunch.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Mine won't see even any water, unless it needs washed 1 or 2 time's a year!
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM
GM Enthusiast

x2

I wouldn't even think of taking mine out in weather like that unless I absolutely had no choice.
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Cutlass Lover

As Ron White would say... You can't fix stupid! God what a shame that is. The guy ought to be beat!
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ziff396
Haven't "washed" mine for over 2 years. Last time I did though, it got thoroughly dry. Use compressed air to get the water out of moldings, mirrors, beltline etc.

Why anyone would drive a cherry 68 in the middle of winter is beyond me. Must be either desperate, or willing to spend money to rebuild it later. I do remember when my car was new. It was great in the winter. Held the road really nice in deep snow, but skidded like a bugger on ice. I'd rather smack up a rental....most of the newer cars have ABS and traction control. Yup, I'm with Sandy, beat on this guy till he learns!
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM

I have seen a guy driving a Vette during a decent size snow storm. I was getting pretty pissed because I was driving behind him and he wouldn't go above 15 mph.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by trainfixer2
Have you ever wanted to slap the stupid out of someone? There is a guy that is driving a 68 cutlass convert in the winter I saw the salt all over the sides of a fire engine red Cutlass. Makes me want to cry it's a cherry car but not for long, one slippery road and crunch.

Never judge a man if you haven't walked a mile in his shoes.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM

It could have been the only car that would run was the 68 so he had to drive it. You never know. If it's cherry than you have to think that's the case.
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:17 AM

I'm with Blue on this one.

"There but by the grace of God go I"

Ya know, ya never know.

Years ago, My 69 drop top 442 was my only transportation. But of course we don't get that much snow down here. IMHO the torque makes it awful to drive on slipper roads.
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by dan2286
I have seen a guy driving a Vette during a decent size snow storm. I was getting pretty pissed because I was driving behind him and he wouldn't go above 15 miles per hour.
That reminds me of a story my good friend who has been a mechanic for almost 30 years told me. He was working for an import business and he repaired a lot of Porches. This old rich guy comes in and says his Porche is running poorly and chugging a lot. So my friend gets in and test drives it and it runs a little sluggish right at the beginning but then is really great, no problem at all. When he gets back he reports this to the owner and while looking at the records notices that the mileage is only about 14 miles more than the last oil change about half a year ago. He suspects the owner doesn't get out much with the car and is onto an idea. He asks the owner to take it for a drive with him and the owner gets in and begins in first, then second, then third, then fourth and then tries to shift into fifth when they are approaching about 35 miles per hour. My friend hollers WHOA WHOA! The old man pulls over and my friend say let's switch, they do and he starts in first and brings it up to about 6 grand before shifting to second, then on through the remaining gears. At top speed the he looks over at the old man and sees the guy cringing, grabbing the dash and crying in fear so he winds it down. The old man is beside himself but my friend tells him that his Porche is a SPORT car not a hearse. This is a true story.
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Captain of my ship

Minneapolis , Minnesota Why would someone only have a cherry 68 cutlass to drive in Minnesota. When I lived in Regina I had a cherry ( brand new ) Yamaha FJ1200. I would have loved to be able to drive it around all year but.... My Olds is put away for the winter ...period...end of story. even if the truck breaks down and I have to get to an important appointment I will find a different way there. If it's his only car then he is crazy to not have a beater for the winter. I know lots of guys who have really nice cars that they drive in the summer when the roads are nice but their winter cars are real beaters. One guy I knew used to buy a $200 car every year cause it had a sticker on it to get through the winter then he would sell it for $100 or scrap it.
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by trainfixer2
Have you ever wanted to slap the stupid out of someone?
MANY times! If I did so, I would spend most of my time around dallas, just doing that! I DO wish that would actually work though...

That guy was grazy to be out with such a nice car. Had to have been a desperate situation.
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I had to drive my car for 2 winters when I first got it......it sure isnt the same car it is now but it did see some winter driving in the late 80's........As soon as I could I bought a beater so I could park the ole girl!
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM
71 cutlass convertible

It would have been alright if it was an old furd because they don't rust.

Larry
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM

I drove the Olds the beginning of this week because the VW was in the shop. The high was in the low 50s though. It ran great, the heater worked well too.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Captain of my ship

Road salt is a car killer. When I came back to the east coast in my 87 mustang the underneath was pristene but in two years of the salt on the roads down here she rusted all to crap. And that was with it being undercoated , though they were using an oil byproduct and I don't think it stuck very good. I do it myself these days and spray on grease twice a year.
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Life is short, drive them as much as you can.
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MN71W30
Life is short, drive them as much as you can.

I agree, At 64 years young I gotta get my fix when ever the chance! Who knows if I'll wake up in the morning. I check the paper every day just to make sure I am still alive. So far so good
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM

check the paper every day just to make sure I am still alive.
Why check the obituaries? Most people end up waking up one morning and find out they died in their sleep.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:34 PM

It is a shame,but nobody knows this persons situation or reason for driving the car.Who knows it could have been a life or death situation that forced him to drive it. I have a friend that has a mint 72 Cutlass and his saying always is my family comes first the car will always come second.
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM

That snow picture reminds me of the Dec. picture ont he current olds calendar - the one of the snow-covered 68. A beautiful photo indeed. Hopefully that car did not see the evil salt crap.
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM

My 62 had 44k miles and it was my main car the winter of 81-82. We had record snow that winter and good thing it had a posi rear.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:23 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I'm with Blue on this one.

"There but by the grace of God go I"

Ya know, ya never know.

Years ago, My 69 drop top 442 was my only transportation. But of course we don't get that much snow down here. IMHO the torque makes it awful to drive on slipper roads.
I got stuck at a friends ranch when it started raining ...

I waited a few but it would not stop so I had to drive out before the dirt road became too muddy ...

I step on the gas it would posi-walk and if I let off it would want to swap ends ...

I had to drive with just the right pedal pressure and speed ...

Old December 18th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Captain of my ship

I did drive my 66 Impala SS for 3 winters here in N.S. when I was young and they were my only wheels but we lived close to a carwash and I was there an average of twice a week I am sure washing off the salt. I took the car out to saskatchewan when I moved there and they only used sand , NO SALT.
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM

I work in St. Paul and there is a guy that drives his 37 Buick all the time weather it's snowing, raining or nice. I wouldn't do it but hey they are his cars and he can use them how see's fit right.
Pat
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Cutlass Lover

This morning on the way to the school, my daughter and I had a guy on a motorcycle pull up beside us at a light! It was 27 degrees... bet he was cold! I'm sure that was a "have to" case!