General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Miller Meet / Norwalk

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM

Miller Meet / Norwalk

I went to the Miller meet last Sunday at Norwalk. Lets just say it wasn't what it used to be. I don't know the official numbers but I would guess it to be about 50% off of previous years. I'm not sure if it is because of the economy or the lack of "new blood" or just the drag racers getting out of racing. Time, money and lack of "energy" has kept me from drag racing the last couple of years. Even the car show was small this year, about 15 cars. I suppose having it the same weekend as the OCA meet was a bad idea also. I don't see many "younger" guys getting into Olds plus the costs are getting high and the drag strips fewer. Might be the time for me to start unload racing stuff. Just my opinion, Ken
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM

Nothing stays the same, younger generation is into the imports, drifting, and Chip Foose mentality. Get a 60-70's Olds and lower it and put some 22's on it and rubber band tires. Another portion contains computer geeks and video game geeks that wont get any dirt under the finger nails. Walk Carlisle, Hershey or another big swap and see who is there. Visit a cruise nite and take note of ages of the people there. I see a lots of gray hair and shiny heads, oh, some do where hats...Yep am showing my age here. Economy is making a dent everywhere too. I used to race but life seems a little more fragile now. Times are a changin...When I am ready to sell mine they probably will be worth more for scrap....Time will tell....PS. Did not attend the Nationals but from the pictures it seemed that was down too!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM

I believe the economy is the biggest reason shows and racing attendence is down. This forum alone has gained a lot of younger members who learned about the muscle cars from their dads, uncle, etc. At our local hang out on Saturdays I am seeing some younger guys showing up with american iron for the 70's and 80's not a lot but some. This is an expensive hobby and with the cost of starting a family, buying a house, daycare etc. cars are most likley further down the list for them then what it was for us

Just my opinion
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Its not cheap to race a Oldsmobile,Ask me how I know!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM

I think the economy and the fact the OCA deal was in the same region of the country didn't help. I was the Norwalk event like usual, only missed a couple since 95.
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I just heard turn out was better this year than the last two??.......when I went in 04 there were alot of cars................