General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Michigan Olds Engine Builder Needed!

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Michigan Olds Engine Builder Needed!

I am fairly new to the forum and am looking for help with finding a good machine shop/engine builder for my 1970 442 W30 tribute rebuild. I live in Hartland, MI - which is north of Milford/Brighton & south of Fenton (NW metro Detroit).

I have a 1970 455 w/N crank, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Oldsmobile tall aluminum valve covers, Mezziere electric water pump, Fel Pro gasket kit, ARP rod bolts and more goodies. Not super confident in my rebuilding skills and would rather have somebody who has done this 100+ times than try myself. Ideally looking for somebody familiar with installing Olds cam/main oil restrictors, cam thrust button/spacer, cross-drilling mains, etc.

Thinking I might go with Keith Black Hyper pistons/rods, Comp Camshaft/lifters, roller rockers. Cloyes timing gears/chain.

Anybody have suggestions for a good machine shop and/or builder that really knows Olds around my neck of the woods?
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I went through D&S Engines /Motor City Muscle in Clawson.If you are familiar with thye WCSX Stone Soup project Mike Henderson and Al Mesyn donates a Motor Rebuild every year.They did me right..Ron Roth Orion Township Michigan 586-556-1234
http://motor-city-muscle.com/stone.php
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:17 PM

I used a guy near Lansing called thorsen racing engines and my motor runs real hard. He does all his own machining and building
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM

I'd say the above mentioned shops, should be a good choice. I built my 455 years ago, and had local engine shops do all the machining.
Did the actual assembly myself though, and took my time. Didn't do and electric water pump, but a rear mounted electric fuel pump. Didn't need the extra volume, but really for fuel management. Has an under dash switch, I shut off to drain the carb bowls on stall out when parking. Car sometimes sits for months, and hit the switch for carb bowl prime a few seconds before cranking. Engine fires up, like right now. Pretty nice.
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to keep researching shops in the area, but as you all know, positive word of mouth is the best endorsement you can get. There are just so few shops that do Oldsmobile work out there these days. Most guys doing dime-a-dozen Chevy and Ford rebuilds just don't know the subtle nuances required to get proper oil flow and durability out of an Olds engine.