General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Master cylinder help

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2018, 03:26 PM

Master cylinder help

Hi
I have a question my 64 f85 has power drum brakes with a single bowl master cylinder. I would like to upgrade to a
dual bowl master cylinder. Can I use and GM master cylinder? When I google 64 f85 / cutlass master cylinder the dual bowl had a note to use with disc brake only ?

Thanks for any help
Larry
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Larrysolds
Hi
I have a question my 64 f85 has power drum brakes with a single bowl master cylinder. I would like to upgrade to a
dual bowl master cylinder. Can I use and GM master cylinder? When I google 64 f85 / cutlass master cylinder the dual bowl had a note to use with disc brake only ?

Thanks for any help
Larry

I don't know what site you got that from, but there are no disc brake options for 1964.

In any case, the easy way to convert to a dual circuit master cylinder for drum brakes is to use the 1962-66 Cadillac master cylinder. It will bolt to your power booster and has the correct "deep hole" for the pushrod on your booster. Obviously you will need to re-plumb the brake lines. Raybestos P/N MC36373 is about $62 at RockAuto.

Old July 4th, 2018, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the info. Others sites said there m\c was for use with disc brake conversion.
Old July 5th, 2018, 08:12 AM

a dsic brake master is diff than drums..so if you are swapping discs to your car, you need a disc master...its about volume

go here..from basic info to pro touring stuff..lots of info and questions answered like yours

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...sion-steering/

you dont have to be a member to use their site..the chevelle swap stuff works on a cutlass..you can find anything you want...at any price point, for your conversion..youll spend hours there..be prepaired..they have prob the best archive ive seen anywhere for brakes and suspension...its been around so long..some of the swaps are no longer favored or available..but "stock" type conversions are very popular.
Old July 5th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by marxjunk
a dsic brake master is diff than drums..so if you are swapping discs to your car, you need a disc master...its about volume

Actually, it isn't. The calipers neither know nor care what the M/C looks like. They only care about piston diameter and stroke. The difference in reservoir volume is only for the convenience of the operator, to minimize the frequency of checking the fluid level. The only functional difference between a drum and disk M/C is the residual pressure valve in the outlet port of the M/C for drum brake systems. You can remove the residual pressure valve from a drum M/C if you want.