General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Made a Pilgrimage to Lansing (and Detroit, and Toledo)

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2020, 08:59 PM

Made a Pilgrimage to Lansing (and Detroit, and Toledo)

Well seeing as just about everything Oldsmobile has been canceled this year, I decided to make my own trip.

Left Wednesday morning with my usual sidekicks, a 12 year out of date map, a full 8 track caddy, a pack of smokes and sunglasses. Headed out of Chicago via the Dan Ryan Expy, and headed into Indiana and points east. I didn't really have much of a goal other than seeing the old Admin building, and the R.E.O. museum, and finding somewhere good to eat (and drink!) Then heading onward to Detroit.

At my first rest stop in New Buffalo Mich.
egmluVs.jpg

I alternated between interstate, and backroads. Not really a fan of the big slabs, but boy can a guy cover some mileage quick on them.

Humming along I had found a good AM Motown/Oldies station to keep me comapny as I wound my way through some beautiful SW Michigan countryside. 80 degrees and passing clouds, couldn't ask for anything better. Traffic started to pick up, although not appreciably to this Chicago guy, as I neared the outskirts of Lansing. I saw my first sign of the General as I got into town on Lansing Road. I had a rough idea of where the plant(s) are and were so I just followed the road to its intersection with Main St and made a right. A little jog here and there and there I was.

jqU29DS.jpg

Hard to romanticize cracking concrete and half full lots of Cadillacs, but there was something special about being "here", in an Oldsmobile that I'm nearly certain hasn't returned to this region since September of 1974. If you squinted and hit your head against the A pillar hard enough,, you could almost pretend thats where we were..

Unfortunately time rolls on. we were here. August 2020, and this is what the Oldsmobile Administration Building looks like on a fine afternoon. Totally deserted, and a hideous chain link fence, but still a sight.

BXLOX9y.jpg
kCPlAhH.jpg

No security to speak of, and just a handful of passing cars, meant I took my time, had a smoke break and looked around. A few passers by waved but most seemed to not notice me which was just fine. Time to eat! Found a place calledLeRoys, near the plant. Good food and cold beer, can't complain about either, worth a stop. After filling up myself, it was time to fill the car, hit a station on the south side of town, and even with AC blasting, idling, and spirited runs to flirts with triple digits, I was averaging a nice 13.2 MPG. On to Detroit then.

Q0rS1ja.jpg

Came into town on the Lodge Freeway and hopped off to see the Motown building. Very cool stop, and I recommend it to anyone, friendly staff too. Then U-Turned on Grand Blvd and headed to the old (Pre 2001) GM Headquarters.

HJKtroA.jpg

Not an easy building to photograph by any means, and the State Troopers hovering around make sure you dont sit too long! What now? Well why not swing down Woodward and see downtown? Stopped for a drink at a place near the Fox Theater, which is beautiful and was highly impressed with Detroits rebuilding. New construction and rehabilitation everywhere, and great police presence. Felt safe in every corner of the city i went to. Drove down to the Renaissance Center and the plaza areas there, and enjoyed some public art and a nice stretch.

S9yLcme.jpg
Then went to Belle Isle Park, and wow what a gorgeous place that is. Great views and lots to explore.

8Vn0ae4.jpg
j1M3swx.jpg

Then my next stop was the old Michigan Central Station. Glad to see the ongoing rehabilitation of the magnificent structure. Along with the seemingly non stop new construction heading out of the downtown area, really nice to see.
SVsyo6N.jpg

And in front of Michigan Central

Ts9G4Jo.jpg

Then after eventually finding an open ramp to the Chrysler Freeway it was time to leave and head south, why? For no reason other than saying I was in Ohio today too. After exiting I-75 I continued on US 24 South to the Ohio line.

dEu6HKA.jpg
1gRvX0D.jpg

Decided my Toledo experience should consist of Ice Cream and that's exactly what I did. Pa Jollys on Sylvania Ave, goot joint!

CKD5KlI.jpg

I then worked my way to US 20 west and set on to Chicago. Dark at this time, but 20 is fairly quiet and much more interesting than the Turnpike. I crossed into Indiana near Angola
awjp6zX.jpg

After a quick truck stop windshield cleaning and a cold pop, I headed for the Toll Road. This area is one I'm quite familiar with so I didnt feel too bad about being on the interstate at this point. Plus it was getting late! About 1 AM I got my toll ticket, set the cruise at a nice 75 MPH and headed west to home.

UzRAccd.jpg

Well not before one more stop to stretch the legs and the lungs, still looking pretty clean at 635 miles on the day!

jQnS89l.jpg

After that, and paying my dues to the Toll Road system, I was greeted by the proverbial hockey stick to the teeth and made my offerings to the almighty Skyway Toll gate, which is astoundingly overpriced, but equally as convenient.

Oqs31FS.jpg

Then a short drive to the NW side where i keep my Oldsmobile, because my garage is full (thanks ma!) And that was all she, or he, wrote! 703 miles, averaging 13.3 over the trip. Innumerable bugs killed, one pack of Marlboros smoked, and a great time was had.

AEIyGJG.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the travel log, or at least the pictures, and if you didn't why the hell did you read it all anyway?

Thanks for coming along,

George

Last edited by Georges75; August 11th, 2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old August 11th, 2020, 10:37 PM

Good road trip, nice pics and a narrative to boot. Thanks for sharing.
Old August 12th, 2020, 06:04 AM

Thanks George. From someone who has never been to that part of the country, it was neat hearing about your jaunt.
Old August 12th, 2020, 07:10 AM

And that friends is a true Sunday or Any-days drive in the cars we so Love.
Very well done.
Old August 12th, 2020, 07:16 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Nice cruise! Thanks for sharing.
Old August 12th, 2020, 07:23 AM
Bfg

Beautiful car George! I have traveled that path to Southwest Michigan all my live (68 years). Where abouts are you on the NW side, I grew up around Nagle and Northwest highway.
Old August 12th, 2020, 09:18 AM

Thanks guys!

Bfg: small world! I grew up around Irving and Austin, my mother lives near Irving and Cumberland, and I'm on the South Side now, Beverly area.
Old August 12th, 2020, 09:50 AM
Bfg

Know the area well, went to the Patio theater many times!
Old August 12th, 2020, 10:16 AM

This was great living (traveling) vicariously through your adventure. Most enjoyable. I've done nothing myself in 2020. Appears that you saw a lot of chain link fences!
Old August 12th, 2020, 10:29 AM

Nothing better than a day with your ride...nicely done!
Old August 12th, 2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Georges75
Thanks guys!

Bfg: small world! I grew up around Irving and Austin, my mother lives near Irving and Cumberland, and I'm on the South Side now, Beverly area.
Georges,

Southsider here as well. 119th and Western/SW corner of Morgan Park
Old August 12th, 2020, 05:50 PM

Thanks guys!

Georges,

Southsider here as well. 119th and Western/SW corner of Morgan Park
Old August 13th, 2020, 09:53 PM

Thanks again guys. Nothing like putting hundreds of miles on the car the way Lansing intended!

Delta: you're super close! I'm at 103rd and Vincennes
Old August 14th, 2020, 05:29 AM

Thanks again guys. Nothing like putting hundreds of miles on the car the way Lansing intended!

Delta: you're super close! I'm at 103rd and Vincennes

Yes sir! Theres a Delta convertible that sits (and sits) at the repair shop on 105th and Vincennes (maybe 106th?). I've stopped to take pics of it when it wasnt covered by a tarp.