General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Made my nephews day

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Made my nephews day

I just finished cleaning waxing and deatiling the car for its first show tomorrow. The best part is my 16 year old nephew is entering it into his high school car show. Although he is nervous wreck about driving it to school, he is also smiling so hard his cheeks are sore. The weather has been poor here for a month but tomorrow will be perfect.

Thought I would pass on that another generation will get to enjoy The Cutlass all day Friday.
Kevin
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM

That will be a great thrill for him.
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:52 AM

my 5 year old LOVES going for cruises in my 65.....she thinks she is so cool and gets all excited when people give me a thumbs up or comment on it at a stop light or gas station or something.

i started working on my car when i was about his age, i am 27 now, so i have alot of time and effort into it. and i will say that having the car as a hobby has kept me out of alot of trouble and kept me busy, which is crucial to any teenager staying on the right path. i would say keep him interested and support his enthusiasm in classic cars. my parents would always say i was crazy for ripping apart my 65 and doing the work to it. alot of people told me i was ruining the car and it would never run again. i am now also a parent and really feel that the best way to keep your kids on the right path and out of trouble is to share common interests and use that to lead by example. so when other people are going out to a bar on friday night and getting trashed, i'm under the hood of the cutlass or taking my kids for a ride to get ice cream.

ps....does your car have a governer on the accelerator?? LOL!!!
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I think that is awesome! He is going to make up the next generation of enthusiasts and this will a lasting impression that he will remember for a long time and will be more apt to extending his pride and joy in the same way down the road. As a father of four and an uncle to several, I'd say you trust this young man dearly. He must take after his uncle. Good man. I just hope he is extremely careful and doesn't let peer pressure persuade him to act foolish.
Scot
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Cutlass Lover

That's great!!! Something he'll remember forever! Make sure ya give him "the talk" about not showing off and driving sensible! It's so easy to be teased into doing stupid things at that age. Nicole used to love it when I'd take her to school in the Cutlass. Of course we'd have to arrive as the kids were getting off the busses, lol!!
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Awesome. When my son graduated high school, the last day the seniors drive something other than their normal daily driver. He drove my 70 convertible. He also got more comments on it than he did the day he showed up in his 07 Shelby GT Mustang. Nothing cooler than the old muscle cars. Next up, once he is done with all his treatments and is officially in remission, a 68-72 Olds Cutlass or 442 for us to do together.
Old May 20th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
That's great!!! Something he'll remember forever! Make sure ya give him "the talk" about not showing off and driving sensible! It's so easy to be teased into doing stupid things at that age. Nicole used to love it when I'd take her to school in the Cutlass. Of course we'd have to arrive as the kids were getting off the busses, lol!!

Make sure you give him "the talk"

not about driving sensible though. The amount of girls that are gonna be on him when he pulls up in that 65' is gonna be overwhelming! now thats real olds power! haha
Old May 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM

My 11yr old daughter actually wanted me to drive her to middle school in my old junker so she could show off to her friends. She was proud. Can't wait to see how she reacts when I get it done and it's perty. Now I have to convince her to help me with the work
DSCF4489.jpg
Old May 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 455man
My 11yr old daughter actually wanted me to drive her to middle school in my old junker so she could show off to her friends. She was proud. Can't wait to see how she reacts when I get it done and it's perty. Now I have to convince her to help me with the work
Attachment 28785
Lot of potential in that "junker". If I were in her position I would bargain....I'll help if it becomes mine when I can drive!
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM

The day went off without a hitch. I showed up at about 11am and Jake was engaged in a rap-off with a big block el Camino. I will have to admit the Cutlass sounded pretty good. He brought it back with one of his buddys in the car. These guys were living large. I didnt get much of a chance to talk with him but I will call tomorrw to hear all of the stories.

Its funny how rare it is to see or hear your car from someone elses persective. I was standing in the driveway watching it leave and that was the first time I saw the car from a distance.
Kevin
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

That's a great story Kevin. I'll bet he'll be asking for the keys again real soon after he found out how cool it was to drive it.
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by KevinBN7
The day went off without a hitch. I showed up at about 11am and Jake was engaged in a rap-off with a big block el Camino. I will have to admit the Cutlass sounded pretty good. He brought it back with one of his buddys in the car. These guys were living large. I didnt get much of a chance to talk with him but I will call tomorrw to hear all of the stories.

Its funny how rare it is to see or hear your car from someone elses persective. I was standing in the driveway watching it leave and that was the first time I saw the car from a distance.
Kevin
You're a good man and a great uncle Kevin. He'll remember this day until he's an old man. Thumbs up!
Old May 21st, 2011, 05:00 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Originally Posted by Bayou Olds
Awesome. When my son graduated high school, the last day the seniors drive something other than their normal daily driver. He drove my 70 convertible. He also got more comments on it than he did the day he showed up in his 07 Shelby GT Mustang. Nothing cooler than the old muscle cars. Next up, once he is done with all his treatments and is officially in remission, a 68-72 Olds Cutlass or 442 for us to do together.
Don't know any details but I'll pray for your sons healing!

Keith
Old May 21st, 2011, 05:41 AM

Adding to the prayers!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:37 AM
Certifiable car addict...

Originally Posted by 455forgedsteelcrank
Adding to the prayers!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank
x3

I just lost a close friend this year to the big "C". Ugly stuff there. Best thing to do is keep up the good spirits. Get a project if at all possible. Something he's REALLY interested in and will keep his mind working in other directions than his health. Doesn't matter what it is as long as he's gung-ho about it. Work with him on it and keep him smiling! I hope things turn the corner and he's on the upswing.

-Jeff