General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Looking to get a new truck soon..

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2013, 11:41 AM
11.52 @116

Looking to get a new truck soon..

I would like some input on makes.
First off no dodge or nissan. Dont care for either but I like the look of the new rams.

I know ford builds great trucks but they are ugly and huge to me. Loking for more of a midsize quadcab pickup and ford killed the ranger and never replaced it with anything.

So I guess its between a doublecab tacoma, canyon, and colorado.

Not against a fullsize GMC quadcab thought.

Any input is appreciated.

Right now Im driving a 2000 GMC 1500 4x4 longbed with a 4.8 with 335k miles on it which is why I'm considering staying with gmc.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:53 AM
morgan

It make me cringe thinking about owning a japan truck... but the new tv. commercial with the toyota tundra pulling the space shuttle is pretty impressive
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM

My uncle lives in AZ, he's been driving Toyota since 1990. His V6 equipped truck still runs perfectly, and his new (2006 or so) V4 serves him well as well. He only does minor hauling nowadays, having retired.
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:00 PM

I've haven't been w/o a Cheby 2500 4X4 for longer than I care to remember. I beat them like a rented mule and they keep going. All I've ever had to do is change the oil and replace interior door handles [for some odd reason the plastic breaks rather easily after 10 years]
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:08 PM
11.52 @116

This is gonna be tough.

I get discounts on toyota, gm, and ford from work and through family.
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:59 PM

In the last few years I have owned a 2004 GMC 1500 SLE which was a great truck. I had that one for 2 years, it was my first truck and I bought it when truck values were really down. I only sold it because after 2 years of owning it was worth more than when I bought. Wish I would have never done that. I sold that and bought a brand new 2010 ram 1500, it was really sweet truck, the hemi is sweet but their claim of 20mpg is a bold faced lie, I was getting 15.5mpg on the highway just driving back and forth to work. I was spending $500-$600 a month on gas, so I sold that and bought a GMC Canyon with the I5 engine. Pretty good gas mileage but other than that it felt like driving a really cheap p.o.s compared with the fullsize trucks. I drove it for a year thinking I could get used to it but couldn't. Finally I sold that and have been driving a 2011 silverado 1500 for the last year and a half. It is very nice, comfortable, quiet and gets nice gas mileage. I did test drive a Ford before I bought the chevy, it was nice but they are really expensive. All the trucks I have had are not the full option models but mid-level. I don't like leather so I don't get the really loaded ones.

Last edited by Finn5033; January 4th, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
It make me cringe thinking about owning a japan truck
Be careful. The name on the side gives no indication of where it's assembled anymore. Some of the Toyota trucks sold in this country are built in Texas. By Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...acturing_Texas
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:31 PM

at the end of the day other than the looks and curiosity of the f150 eco boost .Everyone looks at the chev gmc. 1500 silverado its hard to find a ford fan that doesnt give the g.m its due. its pretty its quiet its just everything a car/ truck should be . now if you are really looking for a beast of a truck 3/4 ton up my vote goes to rot prone cheap plastic dodge, or the f250 350 diesels
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:45 PM

I work for Chrysler and I own a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4. I'm sorry that you don't like the Ram pickup. I purchased my Ram in August 2008, just as the economy was going into the dumpster. The list price of the thing was $42,000. I paid $21,000 plus tax. It was the first new ride that I purchased since my '74 Gremlin X.
I believe the GM is trying to sell off their tired pickup before they offer their new truck. You might be able to get the old model at a good price. They currently have many trucks they need to unload.
Maybe you could even obtain a low mileage used one and save even more cash.
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:40 PM
GM Enthusiast

I am really not brand loyal and have purchased pickup trucks based on the one I liked the best. I had an 08 Silverado(which was a good truck with no issues) and a Ford F150 before that. Last year I was looking to change body styles due to having kids. I test drove the Ford, RAM and GM brands. I didn't look at the Tundra since one of my friends had one and he complained about all the issues he had with it.

To me, the Ram was best hands down. The best looking, fastest, most comfortable and best riding of the 3. (Around here, I believe it is also the best selling pickup.) They gave me the best pricing with over 9k off sticker. Made in Michigan too. No issues, only downside is that the gas mileage isn't as good as the Chevy I had, but then again the Ram is MUCH faster so there's the trade off.

That being said, if I did not buy the Ram, I would have got another Silverado or Sierra. They are a good truck and probably get the best gas mileage of the 3. Also, I agree that they would probably give some great incentives right now too. Currently, Ford doesn't seem to want to give deals the way GM and Chrysler are. Good luck with your decision.
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:02 AM

Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins 4x4...once you go mega cab, everything else feels like a toy truck. It is the hardest working most spacious truck I've ever owned. And with a dpf delete and programmer it gets 22mpg and almost 1000 ft/lbs of torque.
Old January 5th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Be careful. The name on the side gives no indication of where it's assembled anymore. Some of the Toyota trucks sold in this country are built in Texas. By Americans.

Yes but where does the money go? Japan truck headquarters, or JAPAN. And before you start in with we should support the American workers building japanese vehicles, what about the American workers building American vehicles?

It's good that Americans are building cars in America. It's better when Americans are building American cars in America.

And yes American cars are built other places than America. But where does the money go? To America.

And the point of the thread in the first place, my opinion is GM has the best trucks out there.
Old January 5th, 2013, 02:48 AM

my 2007 colorado is OK, but does not hold front alignment very well. I have 105K on it... my 1988 S-10 was a better truck... aside from the v6 intake manifold issue... I am more inclined to find a good used S-10 and convert to 350....
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Administrator

I sell used cars and trucks, believe it or not they all build good trucks. Just buy one that suites your needs.
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Registered Luser

I've been driving F150 for 10 years now. I get a new one every 4 years due to the amount of mileage I put on them. All I've ever had to do is 1 set of brakes in the first 85k miles. I couldn't speak past that because that's when I turn them in. I did test drive a RAM 1500 Hemi, but seemed like a very heavy truck. Also, I thought the F150 seemed much quicker of the line. I should say, that I was comparing the RAM to the Ecoboost. Yes, the Ford is pretty steep in price, where I know the RAM and GM are lower priced. Guess they need to pay their loans back..........haven't had any experience with the smaller trucks you mentioned. My brother in law wanted to get the F150 also, but after seeing how much cheaper the Silverado was, he ended up getting that. The 5.3 in that isn't even in the same ballpark with the Hemi or Ecoboost though, as far as power....
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by jims2000lt

Right now Im driving a 2000 GMC 1500 4x4 longbed with a 4.8 with 335k miles on it which is why I'm considering staying with gmc.
I'd find another one of those in like new condition. Don't get a 6.0 chevy.

The Colorados aren't even trucks in my opinion. I had 2 455s in the back of one one time and the thing couldn't even handle it without feeling dangerous. I'm with Dave. S-10 and S15 were better.
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:49 AM

sorry this is so long, I copied it from another forum, but for anyone looking at a new truck it is interesting reading:

I have followed towing for a while but recently came across some interesting developments in the effort to unify vehicle tow rating standards.

"The problem, for as long as truck manufacturers have been promoting their tow ratings, comes when a customer wants to compare tow ratings. Without a standardized method of determining a number, with strictly defined terms and conditions, those advertised numbers effectively degenerate into which truck maker is more likely to take on the most risk when promoting the highest towing capacity. Clearly, that didn't necessarily mean any or all of those manufacturers were lying about their tow ratings, but without an apples-to-apples set of procedures for testing, truck engineers could simply make up whatever number their own specific procedures would allow them to comfortably (and sometimes not so comfortably) justify to a legal department."
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/06...for-j2807.html

First talked about in 2007, http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/sto...ing/page1.html
with standards agreed upon in 2009 for 2013 implemetation; http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/12...explained.html

SAE J2807 standards explained - http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...t/viewall.html
There are five engineering characteristics that strongly influence any tow vehicle's performance:
•The engine's power and torque characteristics.
•The powertrain's cooling capacity.
•The durability of the powertrain and chassis.
•Handling characteristics during cornering and braking
maneuvers.
•The structural characteristics of the vehicle's hitch attachment area.
--Cliffs notes as to the biggest game changers are
1. "One major change from past practice is what the SAE committee defines as Tow Vehicle Trailering Weight (TVTW). Unlike the past, a driver, a passenger, optional equipment purchased by at least one third of the customer base, and hitch equipment are now included in this calculation along with the base weight of the tow vehicle. Raising the TVTW figure automatically lowers the maximum permissible GCWR and TWR figures."
Compared to Ford's 2013 criteria - "Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight assumes a towing vehicle with any mandatory options, no cargo, tongue load of 10-15% (conventional trailer) or king pin weight of 15-25% (5th-wheel trailer) and driver only (150 pounds)
2. Second was a 20% pin weight where before auto makers used a number of 15-17%

Toyota stepped up to the plate in 2011
GM released their numbers for 2013 but then withdrew.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/05...m-pickups.html
http://www.gmc.com/sierra-2500hd-pic...ndard_box.html
http://www.gmc.com/sierra-3500hd-pic...abilities.html

Dodge was ready to release but has since balked given Ford's flat denial "Ford's earlier statements that the automaker will not implement the J2807 standards on its full lineup of pickup trucks until its all-new models come to market, which is not likely to be anytime soon."
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/06...ent-j2807.html

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/07...for-years.html

I was reminded of the latest HD showdown where the big three one tons duked it out. Equal trailers totaling 19,400# plus 5 men yeilding a GCVW over 28,000#. They put these heavy hitters through a battery of towing challenges.
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....roduction.html

GM was declared the "winner" but looking back all three exceeded the J2807 standard by a good margin.
They all had solid power. The most interesting differences were Ford's notably better city braking from 40-0 in 142' vs 163', credit given to Fords better ABS braking system. While GM was the clear winner in decent braking and control with the Duramax/Allision combo to the point one tester commented on Ford's white knuckle feeling.

What strikes me is not the heaviest one ton dually hitters which I dont think the J2807 will have much effect but in the more popular (and lucrative) 1500, 2500 and SUV catagories.
Segments where more corners are cut in making that buck and more boasting is seen for average Joe consumer.
GM demonstrated how significant that cut can be "The largest drop in tow ratings came in selected 2500 models with 5th-wheel and gooseneck hitches. For example, a two-wheel-drive regular-cab long bed with the Duramax diesel and 3.73:1 axle was rated at 17,800 pounds using a 5th-wheel hitch. For 2013, the rating drops to 14,400 pounds. A four-wheel-drive Extended Cab long bed with the diesel and a 3.73:1 axle saw its rating drop from 15,700 pounds to 10,900 pounds."

I suspect the standard is one reason Dodge rolled out air bags standard on their new 2013 release.
Toyota has been criticized for "sand bagging" on thier ratings in some tests when actually they are following J2807.

It will be interesting to see if the Auto makers eat crow on prior claims, go back to the drawing board to make changes or just abandon any claim to J2807.
At least the independent test community will have a uniform testing procedure...........
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:38 PM
11.52 @116

Im off work neaxt weekend and I plan on checking them all out.
Ireally want a 4 door with 4 wheel drive and hitch. These are my main concerns.
Tacoma is 1st on my list then GMC.
There is a dodge dealer in town that moves alot of cars and from what I hear they make good deals so we'll see what happens.
I can read online and ask around but its time to see whats out there first hand.

I think I'm looking for a reliable gas sipper like my old ranger with the HP as my old Lightning 475rwhp/580 rwtq with room for atleast 4 with 4 wheels drive.
Guess I should start building my own truck yo get this, HaHa!

Thats for the input guys.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
And before you start in with we should support the American workers building japanese vehicles, what about the American workers building American vehicles?
What about supporting AMERICAN workers, whatever they're building and whoever is paying them? Are they less American because they ultimately work for a non-U.S. company? I don't think so.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:24 PM

What about supporting AMERICAN workers, whatever they're building and whoever is paying them? Are they less American because they ultimately work for a non-U.S. company? I don't think so.
always an interesting argument. 60-70% of a GM vehicle is built in canada, mexico or china so that money leaves the country. 80% of a Honda is built in the US so that money stays here. the profits from Chrysler now go to go to Italy so those profits leave the country along with Toyota, Honda, etc. Ford profits go to their shareholders mostly here in the US. GM profits go to shareholders and to the UAW. If you want to make the argument that you should support American Workers then you would support more of them buying a Honda or Toyota than a Chrysler or GM. there is a difference in supporting workers and supporting shareholders.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
there is a difference in supporting workers and supporting shareholders.
All of your points are excellent, but I would not single out shareholders here. Shareholders are you and me, too. If you have a pension or are in a retirement plan, or if you just put money in a mutual fund at your local bank or your company's 401k plan, chances are your plan purchases stock as part of their portfolio, so that makes you a beneficiary of the performance of that stock, whether it's an auto company stock or Exxon or General Electric or whatever. In short, most stockholders are everyday Americans, too. We just don't often realize it.

We all benefit when companies do well, and that includes shareholders and workers. Let's not play the class warfare game.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:34 PM

Isuzu is building colorados now. Saw one at Sams club. Could not believe it
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM

Now is the time to grab a leftover 2012. I can tell you that when I bought my 05 Silverado, it had been sitting on another dealer's lot for 120 some days and it was everything I wanted. When it showed up it also had the Bose premium sound system.. Anyway, I ended up getting nearly $9K off of a $29K truck when all was said and done. I just traded it in this past May for a GMC Sierra... I would have driven the wheels off the 05 but the offer on the 2012 was too good to pass up. I got 0% for 72 months...with a payment for less than $400. I did pretty damn good both on price and payment. My ONLY regret is that I was $1200 shy of paying off the old one...

I have a 9600lb towing capacity, Z71 package (on a 2 WD) crew cab. It hauls and pulls my car trailer like there is nothing back there.

Anyway, I guess the point is you should look for a leftover 2012 no matter what brand. I'm GM loyal so you won't find me elsewhere unless it's just absolute crap. . You should be able to get a huge discount, and you are 15K miles ahead of the game when it ever comes to trade in or resale

John
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:07 PM

yes there is a difference in workers and shareholders. shareholders can invest in foreign companies whether they build stuff here or not. workers only make money if the foreign company builds stuff here. my point was that many of the foreign companies employ more americans when you count suppliers than the US makers who sub most parts out to china or mexico. no class warfare intended, especially when I am at the bottom of the class list, just that there is a difference in supporting american workers vrs american brands. personally my DD is a 2001 Lexus that was built here and a 1996 GMC 3500. both have been great vehicles with nearly no issues.
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:50 PM

just that there is a difference in supporting american workers vrs american brands.
Not necessarily, but you have to be extremely careful as every situation is different.

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota. I didn't buy it new, but when it was sold new in 2002, Dodge, which is a Chrysler brand, was owned by Daimler-Benz, a German company. So in buying this vehicle new, who was the original purchaser supporting? Certainly he was supporting American workers as the truck's final assembly point was Warren, Michigan, and the both the engine and transmission, according to the window sticker, were U.S.-built. Certainly he was supporting an American brand is there is no more American a brand than Dodge. But the profits from the sale of that vehicle ultimately flowed back to Germans, just as they ultimately flow back to Italians now.

So should he have bought that truck? Many on here would argue no because the situation is not much different than buying a Toyota or Nissan that's built in the U.S. by American workers. Ultimately, the money flows back to a foreign company, and for that reason alone they won't buy it. But if they're going to stay true to their convictions, they shouldn't be buying Dodge, Ram, Jeep, or Chrysler-branded vehicles or MoPar-branded parts today.

Remember this the next time you see one of those nifty-looking Dodge Challengers or Chargers racing down the road. They're made by a company that is 61.8% Italian-owned.
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:59 PM

but the new tv. commercial with the toyota tundra pulling the space shuttle is pretty impressive
Well, Jack LaLane pulled an airliner with his teeth, his teeth! So, that ad doesn't impress me. Dodge has been advertising their Ram with the 3.6 V6 and the mpg, but you can't get one yet, a co-worker tried for two months, got tired of waiting and bought a '12 Silverado 4x4 crew cab w/the 5.3, and is very happy with it and the displacement on demand. With the yearend model sale he got $6k off of the sticker price. he drove and liked the Fords, but said the pricing was way too high. By the way, the salesman from Dodge called him two weeks ago, and said that they still are unable to get the V6, he told them that he had made the Chevy purchase.
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:03 PM

GM recalls 68,000 SUVs, vans, trucks

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:06 PM

Not uncommon for any of the brands.
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p
more impressive would be a list of manufacturers that have not had any recalls.
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM

Not necessarily, but you have to be extremely careful as every situation is different.

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota. I didn't buy it new, but when it was sold new in 2002, Dodge, which is a Chrysler brand, was owned by Daimler-Benz, a German company. So in buying this vehicle new, who was the original purchaser supporting? Certainly he was supporting American workers as the truck's final assembly point was Warren, Michigan, and the both the engine and transmission, according to the window sticker, were U.S.-built. Certainly he was supporting an American brand is there is no more American a brand than Dodge. But the profits from the sale of that vehicle ultimately flowed back to Germans, just as they ultimately flow back to Italians now.

So should he have bought that truck? Many on here would argue no because the situation is not much different than buying a Toyota or Nissan that's built in the U.S. by American workers. Ultimately, the money flows back to a foreign company, and for that reason alone they won't buy it. But if they're going to stay true to their convictions, they shouldn't be buying Dodge, Ram, Jeep, or Chrysler-branded vehicles or MoPar-branded parts today.

Remember this the next time you see one of those nifty-looking Dodge Challengers or Chargers racing down the road. They're made by a company that is 61.8% Italian-owned.
that was my point. rather than looking at the brand name and saying 'no' simply because they are a foreign corp is foolish to me. where they are based does not equate to where they spend money or who they employ. my Lexus was built here by Americans at a plant that Toyota spent a lot of money on and employed a lot of people to build it. I appluad them for that rather than just importing them. Chrysler is now an Italian company but they still employ lots of Americans and invest lots here, also great. I am all for "buy American" but that to me means where it is built not where the parent company is located. I would rather have American jobs with foreign companies than American companies with foreign jobs.
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Olds Nut

i prefer GMC
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM
GM Enthusiast

more impressive would be a list of manufacturers that have not had any recalls.
That's for sure. I haven't seen a list of who recalled the most vehicles but Toyota and Honda are definitely up there.
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:34 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

F250 SD hands down. Get the 6.2 gaser 2011 and up. I've had em all the Super Duty puts all of them to shame IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00456edited.jpg (87.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by droldsmorland; January 5th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:41 AM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
F250 SD hands down. Get the 6.2 gaser 2011 and up. I've had em all the Super Duty puts all of them to shame IMO.
Very nice truck...
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:25 AM

New Truck

Your original post states you are looking for a new TRUCK yet this thread is mostly about vehicles that are not really TRUCKS.

REAL TRUCKS don't have spark plugs & and they start at 3/4 ton ratings.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:54 AM

Jim if you're concerned about fuel savings, stay away from the 3/4 ton trucks.
I've got an 08 Silverado 2500HD Crew cab with the 6.0 in it. I absolutely LOVE this truck and it tows my 28' enclosed trailer very well. I've have'nt really had any problems with it either. But then again the truck only has 28,000 miles on it due to it getting at best a 12.5 mpg average.
I have an Impala for commuting back and forth to work.
If you don't have a huge trailer to tow, go with the 1500. Get the Crew Cab for your family and suffer with the 5 foot box.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Registered Luser

I believe the OP is looking for a "smaller" truck....he said Ford doesn't make the Ranger anymore so that's out....was talking the Canyon, Colorado or Tacoma. IMO, the small GM's are ugly and cheap looking. So if it's between those three, Tacoma hands down....why not check out the Nissan?
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:16 AM

I recently traded my '09 F150 FX4 on a new 2012 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercab. I wouldn't have any other truck. Wiith about 4,000 miles on it, I drove it from Kansas to Oregon in about 36 hours and averaged around 20 mpg. I rented a trailer and loaded a '70 442 convertible on it I had purchased earlier in the year. I towed the load accross the northern US to Wisconsin and averaged about 17 mpg all the way. This was about 1800 miles in a little over two days. I left the car in Wusconsin and drove back to Kansas agin averaging over 20 mpg. My truck has the 302 V8 - same engine as the new GT Mustang. The only thing I will do different on the next one is to get the Ecoboost V6. I love the truck and would never buy anything else.

Besides, I will never forgive GM for the taxpayer bailout they took and wasted. I owned two GM cars at the tiime, sold both of them and will never buy another new one.
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:10 AM

i have a 05 dodge ram 1500 with a hemi and 4+4 short bed.and it gets like 12mpg.must be the way i drive.i an a big fan of gm .canyons and colorados.have there problems i wouldnt buy one.1500 gm.my vote.the jap cars are having oil sludge problems did a motor in a 09 infinity Q56.with just over 100k.and there more comon problems as well.i work in a shop and a majority of the trucks are fords.sorry to the ford owners.
Old January 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by ent72olds
I believe the OP is looking for a "smaller" truck....he said Ford doesn't make the Ranger anymore so that's out....was talking the Canyon, Colorado or Tacoma. IMO, the small GM's are ugly and cheap looking. So if it's between those three, Tacoma hands down....why not check out the Nissan?
Thanks. I'm going to look into them as well. A friend of mine has had a frontier for atleast10 or 12 years and I've never heard him complain.
I plan on going to Toyota in the morning when I get off midnites to start checking things out up close.
I want a smaller truck since m at the point of hardly needing a truck anymore. My comute is 30 miles one way, mostly highway. I need 4 wheel drive so I can get there when I need to. And 4 doors cuz extended cabs really arent that big to me and a pain.

Quick Reply: Looking to get a new truck soon..