General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

looked at a junker tonight

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2009, 06:39 PM

looked at a junker tonight

looked at a 70 88 convertible tonight. it was a junker. not really a good part on it. i just stopped to look because i seen it by the road. i ask him what he wanted for it and he told me $5000. i said I'll be on my way home now. he stopped me because i was in the 72 cutlass. he said that the car is not for sale because it was a family car from new and was tired of people stopping for the car. he ask about my car and we got to talking more. before i left he said he only wanted the car for memories but he had the owners manual i could have if i wanted it. i got it home and looked in it and found the original window sticker. i think i would have kept that more than the car. this car was very bad.
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:13 AM

Seen that scenario several times, the I don't want to part with it because it has sentimental value or it is a car from my youth or I am going to restore it someday. It's like if I can't drive it nobody else can have it, all the while mother nature slowly steals it away from them.
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:20 AM

You should ask him to drive it to a local show and shine! Then when he realizes it doesn't drive he might come to his senses and sell if for a decent price.
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:48 AM

These guys are all over the country. I have stopped a number of times to be told "I am going to fix it up someday" It will rust away before that day comes in most cases.
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:14 AM

Next time I talk to someone with a car like that I should offer them a .22 rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun so they can take pot shots at their car.
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Seen that scenario several times, the I don't want to part with it because it has sentimental value or it is a car from my youth or I am going to restore it someday. It's like if I can't drive it nobody else can have it, all the while mother nature slowly steals it away from them.
I have a Similar situation taking up the other half of my garage in a 1958 Chev Convertable.. I try to talk my FIL into restoring it.. I think once I get my olds and he drives it .. (yes I plan to let my FIL driv it) he may get the bug in him to restore it.