General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Line Up - Part 1

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The Line Up - Part 1

I was going through some boxes I have in the closet (why was I going through my closet?? Not to find any skeletons, that's for sure) and I found an envelope that I'd tucked away many years ago.

Remember back in the day when your OLDSMOBILE dealer used to 'give away' promo things like post cards, key chains, dealer emblems etc? Well some time ago I bought these post cards. In fact I bought like 5 of each mostly because it cost less to buy multiples and ship than to buy just one of each. So today I was thinking about how many of the new folks to Olds missed out on this. You might have seen some of these in the past, but here's the ones I scanned. Each one has vehicle descriptions on the back.

They are all from Jay Chevrolet Oldsmobile, Inc. Utica Boulevard, Boonville, New York 13309. So if any of youse guys are from dat area, be sure to lets us know wedder its still dere, gots it?

Olds Cruisers. America's widest wagon selection. Striking elegance in the Custom Cruiser, our most luxurious wagon. Station wagon room with a view in Vista-Cruiser, our 11-windowed wagon with wood grain vinyl exterior trim. And Cutlass Cruiser, with room you can move into at a surprisingly low price. Olds Cruisers, every one with power front disc brakes standard. We didn't leave anything out. You don't have to leave anything behind.
OLDSMOBILE
ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD

Cutlass Hardtop Coupe / Cutlass Town Sedan. A pair of beauties with more features, and less price than you'd expect. Start with the standard Rocket 350 V-8 and add. The comfort of all-vinyl seats. The protection of Side-Guard Beams in all doors. The value of thermoplastic front-fender liners that can't rust. The 1972 Cutlass Hardtop and Sedan. Oldsmobile value is looking better than ever.
OLDSMOBILE
ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD

The new Olds 4-4-2 Sport/Handling Package can give your 1972 Cutlass an even younger look. It includes: Special hood and body paint strips, 4-4-2 grille. Louvered hood, Hurst Competititon Shifter. Heavy-duty suspension, and more. Now available on four Cutlass models with 350 or 455 cubic inch Rocket V-8 engines.
OLDSMOBILE
ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD

Cutlass Supreme. Our "little limosine". Formal roofline. Classic new grille. Flow-Thru Ventilation. Comfortable, handsomely appointed interior. Cutlass Supreme. The car you "would like to have someday" at a price that makes it possible now.
OLDSMOBILE
ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD

Last edited by Allan R; March 22nd, 2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: minor edit on font
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM

COOL those would look good on a garage wall in a poster size eh?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The Line Up - Part 2

Delta 88. The beauty goes deep. A new front fumpre helps protect its good looks. Themoplastic inner fron fenders that can't rust. Delta 88. the big beauty that's tough.
OLDSMOBILE
ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD

Delta 88 Royale. A big beautiful car, with features that make it big on comfort and convenience. Olds' exclusive "G-Ride." Power steering. Power brakes. Automatic transmission and more-all standard. Oldsmobile's Delta 88 Royale. And with four models to choose from, you also have the luxury of choice.
OLDSMOBILE
ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD

Ninety-Eight Luxury Sedan. Total luxury- with power steering, power brakes, power windows, power front seat, and Turbo Hydra-matic transmission - all standard. You go in comfor, and with confidence inthe 1972 Ninety-Eight Luxury Sedan
OLDSMOBILE
ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD

Toronado Custom. The unique luxury car from Oldsmobile. With all the advantages of front drive, greater traction, sure handling and superb stabilty. With new high-level tail lights for the added safety of increased visibility. the 1972 Toronado. Oldsmobile's very personal luxury car.
OLDSMOBILE
ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:17 PM

Boy those are some biggggg lannd yacchtts !!!!Wonder what the retail was of those in 72?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
70 Cutlass SX

alan - those are great.
They make me want to go out and buy a brand new 1972 Oldsmobile!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 61reoldsman
Boy those are some biggggg lannd yacchtts !!!!Wonder what the retail was of those in 72?
Wonder no more. Prices for the cars and all the available options are in the 1972 SPECS booklet on Wild About Cars. Along with more info than you could imagine.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=26

Free

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and a home page for you online with your own garage where you can show off what you have.
Free to join, free to learn.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:37 PM

All the guys are with hot looking women except the 98 guy, that sucks. The front door fit doesn't look too good on that Cutlass sedan.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:03 AM

BTW Thanks for sharing, took me back to simpler times.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Last98
All the guys are with hot looking women except the 98 guy, that sucks. The front door fit doesn't look too good on that Cutlass sedan.
I have the paper brochures of these and I always thought the ladies were very attractive also...
In fact, the more I look through my old books, catalogs, and brochures to all sorts of stuff, I have to admit I like the way women looked and dressed back then in the 70s, 80's, and even some of the 90's!!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:02 AM
Registered Thread Killer

Back in '75 when I was 17 I had a GF who's parents owned a simular looking '72 Custom Cruiser as the first photo depicted. Partying big time and driving around town with her GF aboard, she decides she wants to drive. Well, it IS her car sort of, so I pulled into a grocery store parking lot and scooted over. She was a 'dink' and didn't look right behind that massive dashboard.

What happened next totally ruined my buzz.

She puts the selector in reverse, backs up without looking, and shoved another car into an entirely different parking space, then came to a stop against a light pole. Undaunted, she put the beast into drive and sped out of there like she was in a demo derby.

I inspected the car later that night in my Dads shop, and after gluing some of the woodgrain back down and working out a few minor other things it actually looked pretty good. So good in fact that we never heard anything about it from her Dad, who just happend to be drummed out of the Army as the catalyst for the killing of 500 vietnamese in MyLai.

Gee Al, thanks for bringing that all back.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM

Curious to read on the '72 442 brouchure "Now available on four Cutlass models with 350 or 455 cubic inch Rocket V-8 engine." I knew this to be true with the '64 model but was not aware also for '72. Did that ever come to fruition? Sometimes these brochures are printed and distributed way before final decisions are made and are sometimes erroneous - I have never heard of a '72 442 with the "442 Appearance package".
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by mfgusa
Gee Al, thanks for bringing that all back.
Hey, anytime...It musta been mostly good memories if you still remember them. Sorry to hear about the 'Nam stuff. I lived through that era. It was scarey even for us up here in Canada. A very unpopular war where too many young lives were lost unnecessarily. I don't like wars. I understand why they're fought, but I can't help but think how much better the world would be without them. Ok, this is getting off topic......I'm really glad you had the opportunity to drive that big ol land barge. Still got yer Captains hat and megaphone???

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Curious to read on the '72 442 brouchure "Now available on four Cutlass models with 350 or 455 cubic inch Rocket V-8 engine." I knew this to be true with the '64 model but was not aware also for '72. Did that ever come to fruition? Sometimes these brochures are printed and distributed way before final decisions are made and are sometimes erroneous - I have never heard of a '72 442 with the "442 Appearance package".
Well, let's do one thing at a time
1. The 442 package was available on ANY of the 2dr Cutlass line up in 72. But you are right - there are really only 3 levels of trim involved; with 5 different body styles F87, G77, G87, J57 and J67. You could also get 350 or 455 engines in each. The U code 455 was the standard BBO in most of these, the X code 455 was reserved for the W30 packages.

2. The brochures and promos do have a tendency to predate the actual production. Note the 442 front license plate? 14 M344? Translate it like this 1=71 production, 4 = 4 speed, M = Lansing; home of 442 production, and 344? It's the VIN code for 71 442. So you're probably right about the brochures - there will be some flaws. Remember also that 71 was suppossed to be the last year of this body style, but it was carried 1 more year with minor mods due to the UAW strike delaying production of the new colonade series of cars. The information I presented was only to mimick exactly what was on the back of the postcard - right down to the stylized fonts for Oldsmobile and the year slogan.

3. The 442 in 72? Wasn't really a model like it was in previous years. It reverted back to being an option you could buy for any of the 2 door car bodies. The 442 was branded in W29 Appearance package or the W30 Performance package. Most of the W29's came with 350's. If you'd like to review the W29 option, here's the link for the SPECS that will show you the option and cost as of Jan 72. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ECS_Jan.72.pdf

Does that help any?
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I have the paper brochures of these and I always thought the ladies were very attractive also...
In fact, the more I look through my old books, catalogs, and brochures to all sorts of stuff, I have to admit I like the way women looked and dressed back then in the 70s, 80's, and even some of the 90's!!
There is definately something to be said about the Ali MacGraw sweaters and plaid skirts with black hose look. My problem with the brochures is all the other guys have these cars that cause them to be with pretty girls. The 98 guy has his car parked in front of a work site. It is almost as if this guy has to work to make the big 98 Regency car payments while the other guys are off having fun. I'm not sure that is a good message to send.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The 98 guy has his car parked in front of a work site. It is almost as if this guy has to work to make the big 98 Regency car payments while the other guys are off having fun. I'm not sure that is a good message to send.
Naw, you're reading something into it that's just not there. He's a suit. A high stakes investor who 'controls' investments with the stroke of a pen and a blueprint. He holds other peoples financial committments at a distance by demonstrating his superior choice of ride - The 72 Luxury Sedan. See how the car can go to a job site and not even get the tires dirty?? The car has the power of the rocket, the Man has the Power of the car. Together they are INVINCIBLE!!! Mwah ha ha ha!! What you can't see is his woman checking out the kitchens in the already built condos to the right
Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Naw, you're reading something into it that's just not there. He's a suit. A high stakes investor who 'controls' investments with the stroke of a pen and a blueprint. He holds other peoples financial committments at a distance by demonstrating his superior choice of ride - The 72 Luxury Sedan. See how the car can go to a job site and not even get the tires dirty?? The car has the power of the rocket, the Man has the Power of the car. Together they are INVINCIBLE!!! Mwah ha ha ha!! What you can't see is his woman checking out the kitchens in the already built condos to the right
Thanks - I don't feel like a 98 nerd now :-)
Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks - I don't feel like a 98 nerd now :-)
No worries. I love them too!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

hate to say this BUT, looking at pic of the 88,iam starting to feel old-it REALLY was not that long ago, that these cars were running all over the neighbourhood!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:24 PM

There is definately something to be said about the Ali MacGraw sweaters and plaid skirts with black hose look.
And the "big hair", the poofy sleeves, flowing dresses, etc....
You should see the ladies in the old Magnavox TV and stereo brochures - woo-hoo!! I have yet to see TV's and stereos in them though...
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
new waver

That Delta 88 coupe is bigger than most sedans today!!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sammy
hate to say this BUT, looking at pic of the 88,iam starting to feel old-it REALLY was not that long ago, that these cars were running all over the neighbourhood!
Ted, chin up - those pics should keep you YOUNG at heart. They work for me, and I'm way older than you are.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Registered Thread Killer

Bet ya the '72 silver Cutlass got stuck when they tried to drive it out (not yours Al, the 4door).