General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Lifts

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Justin

Lifts

Just wondering if this might be a good investment. My work is selling a movable scissor lift I was thinking it would be nice to have in the garage. I offered them a cheap price as they need it gone. Just wondering I guess is how useful is this style of a lift
Personally I feel just small jobs could be done.

It has a 6000lb Max
D444CD82-A0C5-43DC-8EB3-F074BCA5200B.png
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:55 PM

I have a max jax and it makes life in the garage so much easier.
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:57 PM

Worth every penny!! Buy a good one, your life isn't worth saving a thousand dollars.
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by jozw30
Worth every penny!! Buy a good one, your life isn't worth saving a thousand dollars.
I couldn't agree more, I guess I should find out the brand . I just figured it was a good one as the dealership bought it for every day use
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

This is the style I plan on buying . high enough to do a transmission and exhaust but can be collapsed at any given time.

https://excel-equipment.com/ranger-b...FS0Q7AodsHYAfg
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Justin

Thanks guys I put in a bid at work hopefully I get it

It looks like I could do front end work and a rear end if needed, but there's no way I could do a trans on it maybe exhaust work as long as I didn't need to weld in the middle
Old January 17th, 2015, 03:00 PM

Lift Height a problem?

Originally Posted by Stevec
I have a max jax and it makes life in the garage so much easier.

I like the concept and as long as you have air and space it will work. Looks great for tire and suspension work.

The question I had is working effectively under the 48 inch lift height. Seems to short to stand up under so what does one do if you need to work on something like driveline, transmission, exhaust etc.? I'm sure you must have solved that for yourself but I admit I don't have the imagination to see how you could work easily under it unless on a creeper and not lifting to the maximum height. Help smarten me up please as I currently just use jack stands which really crimp your ability to move about and work effectively on the underside.
Jerry
Old January 17th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Justin

My opinion is it would be good for body work to lift to your height as well as basic repairs front end work rotate tires brake repair just the basic like I said I don't see any transmission coming out in this style of lift
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Olds Fever

No matter what type of lift you choose.... the advantages of ANY lift, far out way the disadvantages of having no lift at all.........
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Cruzn66 makes a good point lol. For me the lift I posted is what I really need. I'm constanly swapping engines, or transmissions , taking the exhaust off and having an open center is a big huge plus. Versatility is everything.
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:36 PM

Hey 47 I have a nice seat on casters and I zip around underneath my car an I do trany and rear end work with ease. I wanted a full size lift but didn't have the ceiling height.

I bought the max jax for $2100 and have done engine, trany,rear end swaps with ease along with numerous brake jobs and fluid changes!
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:07 PM

You need to consider what type of work you intend to do to help decide the type of lift that would be best for you.

Scissor lifts have always struck me as being a bit awkward for getting in/out, lift height and general being in the way. No personal experience, just observations. Having said that, it's still better than no lift at all.

I've got a four post lift that I mostly use for storage now (out of necessity) but will give me good access to the underside of cars and good height (helpful as I'm 6' 3"). You need a good bridge span and jack to lift the car if you plan on doing wheel work. It's handy that I can move it around in my garage space on it's dollies with a car on the ramps.

My brother has a Max Jack and loves it. He doesn't have the floor space or ceiling height that I have so it's been a great solution for him. He's done brakework and transmission swaps on their mid '60s muscle cars no problem.

The great thing about buying it used is that it's unlikely to depreciate so if you find it's not working the way you want it, you'll be able to recoup your investment easily enough. Good luck with your bid!