General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

License plate retainer question

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2012, 04:34 AM
New 2 Olds

License plate retainer question

Kind of a dumb question but the plates on my F-85 are held on with screws and metal nuts. Originally on this were there those square plastic push-in nuts? Reason I ask is the holes on the metal brackets are round.
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Oldsdruid

I think there should probably be plastic square nuts on the rear bumper as my 64 Starfires have those.

On the front, the bumper was usually not drilled for front license plates and the dealer did that as part of dealer prep in states that required front plates. Again, the Starfires have round drilled license plate holes in their front bumpers. An NOS front bumper would have small dimples in the plate area to show the prep guy where to drill.

Thinking back, the Toronado and the Hurst/Olds both came out of North Carolina which does not require a front plate. I lucked up and both of them still had their front plate mounting brackets in the trunk, and the Hurst's bumper and the Toronado's lower valance both had the drill spot dimples. I sure did hate drilling out that Hurst bumper for a front license plate.