General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

License Plate info

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2011, 08:30 AM

License Plate info

I'd like to know what the "SP" stands for in license plate and/or what type of plate is on back of car as posted in my pictures. Can anyone please help me on this? Thank you! I apologize that I am not able to post picture here with this question.
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Moses
I'd like to know what the "SP" stands for in license plate and/or what type of plate is on back of car as posted in my pictures. Can anyone please help me on this? Thank you! I apologize that I am not able to post picture here with this question.
Looked at your album and there is no way to determine the plate from the size of the pic and the blurring that occurs with a flash. Turn off your flash and take a picture that way, but get a close up.

re: SP. I suspect that is in regards to re-issuing a set of expired licence plates by your state DMV office. If the plate was expired for more than 18 months, a previous owner could have applied to have them 're-issued' and they would be stamped SP (in small letters somewhere on the plate) in addition to the regular numbers/letters. I'm not 100% sure on this, but it's a good guess from what I know.
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks for your reply. Sorry 'bout pic, that's how it turned out on here. When I bought the car, the gentleman gave me the picture cd (of the car) that I downloaded to computer. I can maybe PM you an email containing all the pics, providing it's kept private and not sent elsewhere. The plate reads SP (in vertical stance) with numbers 12995 (read horizontal). The picture you see of back of car with plate in question, is how it looked at time when car was in dealer storage in '08. Maybe I can talk with you more on this via PM.
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Moses
Thanks for your reply. Sorry 'bout pic, that's how it turned out on here. When I bought the car, the gentleman gave me the picture cd (of the car) that I downloaded to computer. I can maybe PM you an email containing all the pics, providing it's kept private and not sent elsewhere. The plate reads SP (in vertical stance) with numbers 12995 (read horizontal). The picture you see of back of car with plate in question, is how it looked at time when car was in dealer storage in '08. Maybe I can talk with you more on this via PM.
It would be logical to read the SP 12995 as plates that were re-issued, effective date December 9, 1995. A lot of states (and provinces) use the same plate 'forever' and validate them with tags showing the expiration month and year. Does your state use the same plate from a long time ago in this manner? Wouldn't surprise me because it saves metal in the license plate issue/renewal process. Up here we have had the same plate color since 1984, and have gone to only 1 plate on the rear of the car...
and the newest: There was going to be a new plate designed and issued (with input from 'the people') but that was scrapped to save money. The new plate gives 7 permutations and the Gov't expects it won't need any change for at least another 10 years.
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks Allan. Yes, in IL. they keep using same metal plate and renew stickers. The plate on car in question is California plate on a car registered to California while it sits in San Diego, California dealership.
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

PM sent.