General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Let's talk engine oil and additives.

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Amzoil is a good product and I do believe they make a product for older engines but the catch with the new cams and valvetrains is they are now all roller so that friction of a flat tappet cam is not there
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
One of None W-31

Ken, 442 Stang makes a solid point. With the rollers some are using, the zinc worries are not the same as with a flat tappet. Having said that, Amsoil is the best stuff I have ever tried, and that includes Royal Purple.
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
I wonder about Amsoil. My engine builder has mentioned Amsoil and said it is a good oil. I have a question.

If you are building your engine using modern cams and components, didn't the manufactures of these new engine parts take the lack of zink in modern oils in effect? I mean a cam for a 455 Olds will not work in a V8 Aurora so these cams are specifically made for old cars. Knowing this, you'd think that the new grinds would be made to handle lower levels of zink, just like the cams in newer cars can handle it.
Your Intrigue and Aurora do not run flat tappet cams. Zinc is a requirement for those engines with flat tappet cams. Your 455 would need it and was manufactured before zinc was removed from motor oil. If you use a flat tappet manufactured today, it is still a flat tappet cam and the failure to have that metal on metal lube will cause premature failure. Go into most sportsman class racing pit areas and you will find most of those racing will have zinc additives in their oil or an oil with zinc in it. There is a reason. If you want to chance it, have at it. For me, I have seen the results of no zinc, and I'll spend the extra $5 per oil change to save a $5000 engine repair.
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
Amzoil is a good product and I do believe they make a product for older engines but the catch with the new cams and valvetrains is they are now all roller so that friction of a flat tappet cam is not there
Give that man a cigar!
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

O wow! this thread has exploded with tons of great info and some links.
I was so very confused when I started this thread.Now I have my choices narrowed down to about 3.
I just got home from a long day at work and need to get in bed to do it all over again.Hopefully I will have more time tomorrow to go over this thread with a fine tooth comb.I will also research info at the websites listed in the links and then make my choice.

Thanks much to each and every one of you for the info provided. I really do learn alot from you guys. thank you!
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

For more background on flat-tappet vs roller cam perceived advantages and disadvantages, these guys take their discussion pretty seriously.

For an equally serious (and lengthy) thread on oil contents, you could spend some happy hours here.

Please forgive me for posting information involving engines with displacements other than 330, 350, 394, 400, and 455 .

- Eric