General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

LED Signal Light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:02 AM

LED Signal Light Bulbs

Hey Guys,

I put in a LED dome light replacement for the bulb and really enjoy it. Bright off the bat when door opened and not running.

Been thinking about replacing the front signal bulbs and rear brake/signal/parking bulbs. Perhaps the side marker lights as well.

Has anyone done this? Like the result? Find an affordable outlet for the bulbs? General search yielded a pair of 1157 replacements for $15 and found a site where each bulb is $15

Might start with the important rear signal/brake bulbs as those are the lights you want people to not miss...
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

First, do not get the cheap LED bulbs that look like this:

The stock reflectors are designed for incandescent bulbs that radiate light in all directions. These LED bulbs that have the LEDs all pointed in one direction make a "hot spot" in the center of the lens and virtually no light from the rest of the reflector.

I've had really good luck with bulbs like these, where there are LEDs on the sides as well as on the end:

The LEDs on the sides make a big difference in how the light illuminates the stock reflector.

More recently, I've used bulbs like these for the tail/stop lights on my 67 Delta. The brightness increase is amazing.

Expect to pay upwards of $20 apiece for high quality LED bulbs, but they will outlast the car. Also, if you replace both front and rear turn signals, you'll need an electronic flasher module. The LEDs don't draw enough current to heat up the bimetallic contact strip in the original mechanical flasher module. And of course, be sure you replace the flasher for the turn signals, not the one for the four way flashers.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Wouldn't they need to replace both the turn signal and 4 way flashers?
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Wouldn't they need to replace both the turn signal and 4 way flashers?
Yeah, that's true. I've only put LEDs in the rear so far, and with the incandescent front lamps that's enough for the mechanical flasher to work.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:48 AM

While your at it, replace the ones in your dash. I did mine about 2 years ago and the difference is amazing.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:55 AM

are the good quality LED's available at most parts stores or do you have to go online to buy them? Is there a certain manufacturer name to look for? Thanks
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
are the good quality LED's available at most parts stores or do you have to go online to buy them? Is there a certain manufacturer name to look for? Thanks
I get mine from a vendor at the Carlisle Swap Meet. I'll see if I can find his card.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:24 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, that's true. I've only put LEDs in the rear so far, and with the incandescent front lamps that's enough for the mechanical flasher to work.
A electronic replacement flasher for LED lights is needed when replacing all 4, unless you like really fast blinking lights. But as Joe said, I used the front focus LED lights and it looked like light spots in the lenses on the Olds powered 4x4.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:13 PM

The LED bulb with LEDs on the end and sides was the one I was going to shoot for in the rear tail light housings. That one with a halogen on the end and leds around may be a spot light look in the large square rear tail lights of my 76.
Are those relays hard to come by, if I should replace the rear brake/turn light bulbs
I would be interested in your source to Joe on the LED source. I think the bulbs in the two instrument clusters are the same as the side marker lights. Can see how those would definitely be enhanced with LED s !

Last edited by 442fanatic; January 3rd, 2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:18 PM

Very helpful and informative thread. I have some "old" motorcycles that could really benefit from the brighter LED's. Thank you.
Ralph
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442fanatic
The LED bulb with LEDs on the end and sides was the one I was going to shoot for in the rear tail light housings. That one with a halogen on the end and leds around may be a spot light look in the large square rear tail lights of my 76.
If you are talking about the third photo I posted, that's not a halogen, it's a high-power LED with a lens over it. I've got those in my D88. They don't make "hot spots" on the lens. Check out this thread for comparison photos.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 03:04 PM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

One thing to consider that gave me a major problem, was the shape of the old 1157 compared to the LED 1157.
The LED's like Joe's second pic in his reply wouldn't fit my '71 Supreme taillight socket. Look at the shape of the old bulb, it gently tapers from the diameter of the metal into the size of the bulb. The LED's have no taper, but instead have a 'ledge' on them. This ledge wouldn't allow the bulbs to go all of the way in in order for the tabs to lock it in place.

If you have this same problem, you will need to replace the stock sockets. You will need a socket with with the ground wire already connected internally to the socket.
I used black RTV to help hold the new sockets in the housings, hence the ground wire. The RTV will not allow the socket to ground to the housing like the stock ones did. It worked like a charm.
I wish I would have taken pics of these kinds of projects for times like this. I need to keep better records....

Here are the sockets I bought. I had to bend the little tabs over and install them from the inside of the housing rather than thru the back. I RTV'd the back of the socket and 'MacGyver'd' a method to clamp them over night to allow the RTV to set up.
http://www.wiringdepot.com/store/p/5...CABEgJVXPD_BwE

Last edited by midrange; January 3rd, 2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old January 4th, 2018, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
While your at it, replace the ones in your dash. I did mine about 2 years ago and the difference is amazing.

Are the dash LED bulbs dimable?

Saw that video Joe posted, the plasma's darn near shine white through the red lense when either in brake or just on in park mode. wowser

Alex
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Cory

dimmable dash LED bulbs

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...e,Yes,38,1198:
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:13 AM

First, do not get the cheap LED bulbs that look like this:

The stock reflectors are designed for incandescent bulbs that radiate light in all directions. These LED bulbs that have the LEDs all pointed in one direction make a "hot spot" in the center of the lens and virtually no light from the rest of the reflector.

I've had really good luck with bulbs like these, where there are LEDs on the sides as well as on the end:

The LEDs on the sides make a big difference in how the light illuminates the stock reflector.

More recently, I've used bulbs like these for the tail/stop lights on my 67 Delta. The brightness increase is amazing.

Expect to pay upwards of $20 apiece for high quality LED bulbs, but they will outlast the car. Also, if you replace both front and rear turn signals, you'll need an electronic flasher module. The LEDs don't draw enough current to heat up the bimetallic contact strip in the original mechanical flasher module. And of course, be sure you replace the flasher for the turn signals, not the one for the four way flashers.
Is it a 2 pin or a 3 pin?
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ELY442
Is it a 2 pin or a 3 pin?
What's a "3-pin"? These are replacements for an 1157.
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:36 AM

What's a "3-pin"? These are replacements for an 1157.
Im talking about the "electronic flasher module".
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ELY442
Im talking about the "electronic flasher module".
Ah, got it. The stock flasher has two blades, but the electronic versions have an additional ground wire.

Old January 4th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Rodney

Wccc 1157

I bought these LED1157s from the West Coast Classic Cougar website, but as Midrange posted, they don't fit the '71-'72 tail light sockets.

WCCC1157R

Old January 6th, 2018, 08:24 AM

If you are talking about the third photo I posted, that's not a halogen, it's a high-power LED with a lens over it. I've got those in my D88. They don't make "hot spots" on the lens. Check out this thread for comparison photos.
I have these for my 1969 Cutlass brake lights, and they are amazing. I tested fitted them in the front turn signals and they won't fit, just like midrange & cdrod said. I may have to look into replacing the socket so I can install the orange/amber LED's up front. They really are that good.

Last edited by Mr Nick; January 6th, 2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old January 6th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Rodney

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
I have these for my 1969 Cutlass brake lights, and they are amazing. I tested fitted them in the front turn signals and they won't fit, just like midrange & cdrod said. I may have to look into replacing the socket so I can install the orange/amber LED's up front. They really are that good.
Nick: I have the exact opposite situation, the WCCC LED bulbs fit the 71-72 front sockets just fine but they won't fit in the tail light sockets. I have some rusty tail light housings that I'm going to try flaring the socket to see if I can get them to fit. If it works, I'll come back and post my solution.
Rodney
Old January 6th, 2018, 10:38 AM

Hi Joe, thanks for the info you posted with the pictures of the LED bulbs. Maybe, I missed it somewhere in the thread, but do you have the name of the company that makes the ones you use on your '67? On our '66 Ninety-Eight, the tail lamps are quite big, but only the center section acts as a brake lamp, and is a ridiculously tiny size. You can see by the picture, brakes obviously not applied, but you see what I mean! I have even been thinking of a way to modify the backlit section surrounding the lamp with bulbs that have stop lamps. One has to wonder what manufacturers were thinking, because by 1966, there were many high speed roads in North America. Sigh.

Tiny brake lamp area on 1966 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight.
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:04 PM
70 Cutlass SX

I too have used https://www.superbrightleds.com/
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by pcard
many thanks Peter, I will check out the site, regards, Howie.
Old January 20th, 2018, 05:16 AM
1967 442

Other than the plasma in the front, are the towers really brighter? I just replaced my dash bulbs and am very impressed. Now I want to move on the exterior, but I am getting stumped on lumens.

The 1157 LED listed here https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...fit/2625/5699/ shows the amber with 70/280 lumens. The standard Sylvania bulb is 28/302. The LED gains quite a bit on the low side, but loses a little on the high. I am not sure which is on the low, the park or signal. My goal is to get the park lamp brighter.
Old January 20th, 2018, 06:59 AM

Park/Running lights are the less bright of the two, turn signal flashes between low and high.
Old January 24th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Anybody know which electronic flasher unit works in a 69 Cutlass when using the SuperbrightLED.com front (amber) and rear (red) 1157 turn signal bulbs (4 total)? I used their 2 prong CF12ANL-01 flasher but these do not produce a flashing light (only a solid bright light), even after reversing the wires in the harness. Other CO posts on LED lights refer to a 2 prong flasher with a separate ground wire hanging out, but was unsure what year those were applicable for.

FYI, The light bulbs themselves make a huge difference in brightness, but obviously need them to flash. I did have to file down some of the solder on the bulb base to get it to fit properly.
Old January 25th, 2018, 08:53 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Just about any flasher unit from a car built in Germany should do the trick. Seems they are required to meet Germany's TUV regulations.

Roger.
Old January 25th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Just about any flasher unit from a car built in Germany should do the trick. Seems they are required to meet Germany's TUV regulations.

Roger.
Don't know anything about German flashers, but any electronic two prong flasher module with a separate ground wire coming out of the case will work. There are many on the market. They all work the same.

Old August 14th, 2021, 02:20 AM

Considering a switch to LED for the rear tail lamps.
Which tail lamp LED bulb will fit the 70 Cutlass.
If you switch just the rear tail lamps to all LED, do you need to swap out the turn signal flashed..
Thank you
Old August 14th, 2021, 09:21 AM

I can't speak for a '70, but on my 66 my mechanical flasher still works fine after installing LED 1157's in the rear.
Old August 14th, 2021, 10:02 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

I swapped all interior and exterior in my 72 to LED and didn't have to add flashers.
Old August 15th, 2021, 02:24 PM

The only filaments on my turns are the front 1157s. Everything else back is LED, and they work with the traditional flasher.

*they work as long as my acc wire doesn't fall out of the ignition switch. Fix is on the way.