General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Laser cnc pros and cons ?

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2020 | 09:02 PM

Laser cnc pros and cons ?

Is there a downside to CNC laser cut parts say a halo?
Compared to a CNC cutting bit cut halo?
Old July 28th, 2020 | 05:33 AM

Are you worried about heat being generated? Water jet it.
Old July 28th, 2020 | 06:52 AM

I think CNC manufacturing with cutting bits & cutting fluid would be the gold standard.
I came across a halo girdle that was gut with a CNC laser and was wondering if there is any downside to this process, as I'm unfamiliar with CNC laser technologie.
I'm looking for the best made big block 5 main halo and came across this process.
I would like a Canton quality halo but they do not make a 5 main halo. They require X number of units for a new halo offering.
Old July 28th, 2020 | 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
I think CNC manufacturing with cutting bits & cutting fluid would be the gold standard.
I came across a halo girdle that was gut with a CNC laser and was wondering if there is any downside to this process, as I'm unfamiliar with CNC laser technologie.
I'm looking for the best made big block 5 main halo and came across this process.
I would like a Canton quality halo but they do not make a 5 main halo. They require X number of units for a new halo offering.
CNC machining, Laserjet and waterjet cutting are very similar because they require a computer program to make the equipment work and follow a prescribed path. How they create the outline of the halo is what sets them apart. Obviously the CNC machining will require tooling and "program stops" or fixturing to remove "drop out" pieces of material (steel).

CNC machining with "cutting bits" isn't necessarily the gold standard. It does allow for machining pockets of different depths and is more common equipment.
Laserjet cutting can only cut outlines of parts using a laser. This can produce a hard crust along the outline and some warpage.
Waterjet cutting can only cut outlines of parts using high pressure water and an abrasive. Warpage is minimal.

With any of the above, you will want a part that is ground flat in a free state (unconstrained) on both sides after machining/cutting.

With a "full Girdle", the laserjet and waterjet are automatically eliminated because they can only cut outlines.

I guess, I would want to know what steel they use and the hardness of the steel.
..........Just my two cents worth.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; July 28th, 2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: correct typo & correction
Old July 28th, 2020 | 09:33 AM

I don't see anything on a halo or a girdle that a water jet couldn't do. What am I missing?
Old July 28th, 2020 | 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I don't see anything on a halo or a girdle that a water jet couldn't do. What am I missing?
The water cut halo worked, so well there are a lot of copies. Some thought there was room for improvement with the water cut version.
Old July 28th, 2020 | 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
CNC machining, Laserjet and waterjet cutting are very similar because they require a computer program to make the equipment work and follow a prescribed path. How they create the outline of the halo is what sets them apart. Obviously the CNC machining will require tooling and "program stops" or fixturing to remove "drop out" pieces of material (steel).

CNC machining with "cutting bits" isn't necessarily the gold standard. It does allow for machining pockets of different depths and is more common equipment.
Laserjet cutting can only cut outlines of parts using a laser. This can produce a hard crust along the outline and some warpage.
Waterjet cutting can only cut outlines of parts using high pressure water and an abrasive. Warpage is minimal.

With any of the above, you will want a part that is ground flat in a free state (unconstrained) on both sides after machining/cutting.

With a "full Girdle", the laserjet and waterjet are automatically eliminated because they can only cut outlines.

I guess, I would want to know what steel they use and the hardness of the steel.
..........Just my two cents worth.
Thanks for the reply.
I would think that a tool bit cut halo would have tighter tolerances if all other factors were equal.
The mounting hole accuracy and fitment is what some have questioned with the water cut version.
Old July 28th, 2020 | 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Thanks for the reply.
I would think that a tool bit cut halo would have tighter tolerances if all other factors were equal.
The mounting hole accuracy and fitment is what some have questioned with the water cut version.
The main reason for a halo is the added thickness (strength). A machined halo could produce more accurate hole sizes and hole shape. A lot of the halo is just open areas for crankshaft clearance and oil draining which doesn't require precise sizes.
What is the fitment problem with the waterjet problem ?
Old July 28th, 2020 | 09:07 PM

The main reason for a halo is the added thickness (strength). A machined halo could produce more accurate hole sizes and hole shape. A lot of the halo is just open areas for crankshaft clearance and oil draining which doesn't require precise sizes.
What is the fitment problem with the waterjet problem ?
By reducing play around the main studs one might improve the halos effectiveness.
A halo that is flat might reduce the risk of adding an uneven load that could possible have a negative effect.
Old July 28th, 2020 | 11:14 PM

The waterjet versus machining is so incredibly small that money is best spent on performance elsewhere. You won't be able to locate the girdle via the bolt holes as tight as you think you would. Professional applications don't do that with bolts, they do it with dowel pins. The best thing to do to avoid walk would be to drill holes for pins in the caps, then hand fit the girdle to those pressed in dowels. The bolts are only good for clamp force. At that point, you're better off fabbing new main caps that are concentric and are one piece via an integrated girdle. This is obviously about 2 counties beyond ridiculous at this point.
Old July 29th, 2020 | 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
The waterjet versus machining is so incredibly small that money is best spent on performance elsewhere. You won't be able to locate the girdle via the bolt holes as tight as you think you would. Professional applications don't do that with bolts, they do it with dowel pins. The best thing to do to avoid walk would be to drill holes for pins in the caps, then hand fit the girdle to those pressed in dowels. The bolts are only good for clamp force. At that point, you're better off fabbing new main caps that are concentric and are one piece via an integrated girdle. This is obviously about 2 counties beyond ridiculous at this point.
Bernhard wrote:
I understand the limitations of the halo and my build is staying within those limits. True, a refined version of the original may not yield any advantage, but more manufacturers are making halos and I was just weighing the pros and cons of each.
Old July 29th, 2020 | 07:26 PM

What halo's are you considering ? What are the main cap hole sizes ? What material and hardness are they using ? Whats the price ?
Old July 29th, 2020 | 08:19 PM

What halo's are you considering ? What are the main cap hole sizes ? What material and hardness are they using ? Whats the price ?
I'm still waiting for a reply back from two of the manufacturers. The laser cut one is a no go because they only make a small block version and manufacturing method.
I will reply when I have more information to share.

Old July 29th, 2020 | 09:28 PM

What do you mean by "manufacturing method" ?
Old July 29th, 2020 | 10:36 PM

What do you mean by "manufacturing method" ?
CNC laser cut.
Old July 29th, 2020 | 11:09 PM

https://store.prw-usa.com/0940311-oldsmobile-350-403-billet-steel-main-girdle/https://store.prw-usa.com/0940311-oldsmobile-350-403-billet-steel-main-girdle/https://store.prw-usa.com/0940311-oldsmobile-350-403-billet-steel-main-girdle/

This one is a 4 main halo and appears to be well made. I would source one without hardware and use ARP studs
Downside is that it is only a 4 main halo

Last edited by Bernhard; July 29th, 2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old July 30th, 2020 | 12:21 AM

Here is another halo that is CNC machined it also is a 4 main halo.
https://oldsperformanceproducts.com/...le-400425-455/
Old July 30th, 2020 | 12:24 AM

Her is another halo
This is a 5 main and looks to fit very well.
https://dickmillerracing-com.3dcarts...-BB_p_119.html