General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Kraco Radio Challenge

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2013, 08:35 PM

The Kraco Radio Challenge

OK, let's see who really knows their stuff.

Part One: Who knows how to set the clock on this damn thing?

Part Two: Who knows how to set the preset buttons on it?

IMG_7061_zpsb8c756a7.jpg

IMG_7059_zpsee381559.jpg

Whoever gets both right will be crowned ClassicOldsmobile King (or Queen) of Very Trivial Knowledge.
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:57 PM
car guy

Can't help but you reminded me of the lyrics in this song

Old October 9th, 2013, 09:15 PM

Ok, I am going to guess here.

1. Set your channel, then hold down the preset you want for a few seconds. If it blanks or beeps or something, it may have done it.

2. I would guess the clock would get done via the radio being off and holding down two buttons for a few seconds till it hits clock mode, then adjusted via others. Try holding down the scan and seek buttons for a few seconds with the radio off or maybe on. Maybe the tuner adjusts the time in clock mode.
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Ok, I am going to guess here.

1. Set your channel, then hold down the preset you want for a few seconds. If it blanks or beeps or something, it may have done it.

2. I would guess the clock would get done via the radio being off and holding down two buttons for a few seconds till it hits clock mode, then adjusted via others. Try holding down the scan and seek buttons for a few seconds with the radio off or maybe on. Maybe the tuner adjusts the time in clock mode.
Yeah, I've tried all the combinations of two buttons I can think of for setting the clock, both with radio on and off. No luck. I tried setting the stations by holding down the preset as that is the way it is usually done, but that doesn't work. I eventually want to replace the unit with a modern one that has a USB or input jack. It's just driving me nuts having the wrong time on the clock and having to tune by hand all the time.
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:52 AM
"me somebody" site member

Until you get an answer or figure it out, can you simply unplug it and then plug it it at 12 o clock sharp or something? Alternatively, you may find instructions online; perhaps google "kraco radio instructions" or somesuch. Good luck.
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:30 AM

To set the radio station presets, tune the station you want, hold in the "ME" button just above the preset buttons, and then push the numbered button you want to set the station to.

I have an Audiovox radio of similar vintage in my '67 Delta 88, and it, too, has a button labeled "ME," which I'm guessing stands for "memory."

To set the clock on my Audiovox, the radio does need to be off. I then hold in a button labeled "CALL," which is the button that switches the display between showing the time and showing the station frequency, and use the tuning **** to set the time, with the tuning **** turned one way to advance the hour and the other way to advance the minutes. I don't see a button labeled "CALL" on your radio, but I'm guessing the procedure is similar. Maybe it's the button labeled "FMM" or "FREQ"?

When you find the button that switches between the time and the frequency, with the radio off, hold that button in while turning the tuning **** or possibly pressing one or more of the other buttons and see if that doesn't change the time.
Old October 10th, 2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
To set the radio station presets, tune the station you want, hold in the "ME" button just above the preset buttons, and then push the numbered button you want to set the station to.

I have an Audiovox radio of similar vintage in my '67 Delta 88, and it, too, has a button labeled "ME," which I'm guessing stands for "memory."

To set the clock on my Audiovox, the radio does need to be off. I then hold in a button labeled "CALL," which is the button that switches the display between showing the time and showing the station frequency, and use the tuning **** to set the time, with the tuning **** turned one way to advance the hour and the other way to advance the minutes. I don't see a button labeled "CALL" on your radio, but I'm guessing the procedure is similar. Maybe it's the button labeled "FMM" or "FREQ"?

When you find the button that switches between the time and the frequency, with the radio off, hold that button in while turning the tuning **** or possibly pressing one or more of the other buttons and see if that doesn't change the time.
That might work for the time. I didn't try that. The on/off/volume **** is pushed in to change between time and frequency. I didn't try pushing that in and turning the station changing ****. I'll give that a try.

I thought the "ME" button was for using metal tape. It's not a momentary switch, it's a position switch. I'll try pushing it in and then pushing in and holding the station button.

I'll check it out and report back.

Aliens, I tried googleing it. No results whatsoever.

Last edited by starfire; October 10th, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old October 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by starfire
I thought the "ME" button was for using metal tape.
Could be. But if it were, I wouldn't expect it to be positioned right above the station preset buttons but rather up above where the other buttons having to do with the cassette player are located. But you never know.
Old October 10th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Could be. But if it were, I wouldn't expect it to be positioned right above the station preset buttons but rather up above where the other buttons having to do with the cassette player are located. But you never know.
Agreed. I thought the placement odd for a metal button. I'm hoping you're correct the ME stands for memory.
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Try pushing the tunner fader button in then when clock flashes turn left or right ? Try the fm/am button also
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:10 AM

I thought the placement odd for a metal button
Those low-end radios back in the day (Audiovox, Kraco, Sparkomatic, etc.) tended to not be very sophisticated, and having a button for metal tape would have been a relatively high-end feature.
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM

I did a little math just now, and, not counting the 5 station preset buttons but assuming that the two ***** can be pushed in as well as being turned to cause something to happen (you already mentioned that pushing in the left **** switches the display), there are 11 buttons on your radio. Assuming you have to push two of them to set the time, the number of different combinations of two buttons when there are 11 of them is 110. So there's not more than 110 different button combinations to check before you find the one that works!
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Thats sound like Math to get the old lady started LOL 110 buttons to push pull and twist
good luck
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
110 buttons
Not 110 buttons, but 110 combinations of 11 buttons. That's a maximum of 220 button presses!
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Wow, I either had that model or one very close to it. It was my first radio install in my first car a 67 cutlass. I think you only need to push the ME button, not hold, then push the preset once you have the station tunned in. Do the ***** pull out just a tad? Seems like you pull out just little to set the clock. But then again it was 30 yrs ago, and a countless radios. So, I may be wrong.
Old October 10th, 2013, 10:09 AM

Jaunty, you're a freakin' genius. The ME button was the button for everything. I was wrong about the ME button, it doesn't stay in when pushed. Radio off, push and hold the ME button and turn tuning **** right adjusts the minutes, turn tuning **** left adjusts the hours. Turn radio on, tune to station you want, push ME button and release, push station button and release and voila, radio station is set! Life is good.

Thanks everyone!
Old October 10th, 2013, 10:30 AM

Troy, you would have had me one the right track also, but I didn't see your post until after my success using Jaunty's ideas.
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Now as a thank you ... your homework is to do a write up of how it all works and post it to google books so others can find it.
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Jaunty, you're a freakin' genius..
Don't worry. You'll get my bill later!
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Professur
Now as a thank you ... your homework is to do a write up of how it all works and post it to google books so others can find it.
Sorry, Professur, I don't see anywhere on google books where I can post or publish anything. Looks like we'll have to rely on google search. Right now it comes up 4th when I google "Kraco setting clock". I did go to the first result on ASK and answer someone's two year old question on how to set their Kraco clock. Enough do-gooding for one day for me.

Last edited by starfire; October 10th, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old October 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Troy, you would have had me one the right track also, but I didn't see your post until after my success using Jaunty's ideas.
So do Jaunty and I get to be co-kings of useless trivia, or does he get to be King because he answered first? If there is a tie breaker. I think the squares behind the ***** are reversible to black with white lettering if you want to fancy it up a bit.

I suppose I would be just as happy with a knighthood.
Old October 10th, 2013, 02:56 PM

The only thing I'll add here is that there are typically two different wires on a radio that connect to 12V, one to constant and one to key hot. If you screw-up and don't get it right you can have one of two things happen. 1. Radio doesn't turn off with the key (both or wrong one hooked to constant) or 2. The radio looses all power when the car is turned off and therefore you have to set your clock and presets every time you get in.- Steven
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Steven, not the problem at all, I've just been disconnecting the battery as I've been working on the car. But thanks for the suggestion.

Troy, you might be able to get a knighthood, but you will be required to bring me a shrubbery!
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Ni, Ni, Ni, Ni, Ni

Now see that is why car people and particularly Oldsmobile car people are great. They have an unique sense of humor.
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This was an entertaining thread that brought back some memories from a lots of years ago. I had not thought about the Kraco name in a long time. I had Audiovox but never a Kraco.

Thanks guys.
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=gearheads78;600905]Can't help but you reminded me of the lyrics in this song

I clicked this thread with this song specifically in mind.. I have both versions on my iPod, as well as heard it live.
Old October 11th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Oldsdruid

Glad someone here figured it out. I can say from experience that although Kraco is still in business they would be no help on any of their radios. I called them several years ago about a schematic and they said then they hadn't produced radios in over ten years. Think they concentrate on floor mats and such now.

The old Gray Ghost wagon has a pushbutton tune analog Kraco in it now. It functions well except dial light is out. Even the cassette deck works fine.

I don't think Kraco ever made much but low-to-mid end stuff, but Sparkomatic was a different story. They produced a few models that were comparable to Kenwood and Alpine in the mid 80s- but you wouldn't find those in the discount stores that typically sold Sparkomatic. A stereo shop in Chapel Hill NC carried the high-end Sparkomatics and I was amazed.