General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Kiss

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Old School Olds

The old adage, blame it on the parents.

[QUOTE=MDchanic;580828]Yeah. This is a tough one.

When I was a kid, I used to like cutting the grass - I'd do it even if nobody asked, because I liked the way the place looked with the grass all neat and tidy.

After a while, I got paid for doing some adjacent areas, so that didn't hurt either.

My own kid now will do it if I tell him he has to do it right now, but he does what I call his "John McCain with the North Vietnamese" thing - "I will resist no matter what injustice you force upon me." He does it, but the absolute minimum acceptable amount and quality - absolutely no concern for doing any job well.
And this, in spite of seeing me work 12 hour days, and do all sorts of jobs very carefully and nicely.

Basically, I can force him to do it, but I can't force him to care.
It's very frustrating, really.

We have done what our Parents and Grandparents did
for theirs.
Try and make life a little better for our kids...
It all just backfired, that's all... Who's to blame? The kids?
You don't want to eat your carrots?
Fine, that's breakfast tomorrow!

No, those days have been gone for decades.
Hope and change went out with the election
before last... I don't know where we are going
in this country. It seems to me the younger
generation just wants to get by. Gumption seems
to me to be on the wane. Sad really...

Last edited by tru-blue 442; August 16th, 2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: It just didn't take.
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM

Just a little twist on the conversation regarding new cars. All the sensors, computers are there to run the car AND diagnose problems. If you look at a mechanics manual for a new car, there is no need for much in the way of thought process. It's a flow chart if "yes" go here, if "no" go there.
Techs only have to be able to operate test equipment and repair tools. Minimizes cost of training, but there's no need to understand the entire system. So you get cheap labor, but don't expect any in depth analysis.
Btw, I own a dwell meter, timing light, etc, but also have modern fuel injected, computer controlled LS motors in my 68 Corvette and 72 Olds. I also have carbed motors in my boat, although I swapped out dual point distributors for HEIs. If you really want to go old school, the genset on my boat is a 4 cylinder flathead with a magneto.
Another interesting aspect is in marine engines. There are fewer and fewer commercial marine techs that can service points, carbs, etc. So those mechanics are charging more now.
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Administrator

I am guilty of letting my wife coddle my son. I worked and she was a helicopter mom. I picked my battles and now only time will tell how he turns out. 2.5 years left of college and then he's on his own. I hope he can swim!
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by garys 68
Just a little twist on the conversation regarding new cars. All the sensors, computers are there to run the car AND diagnose problems. If you look at a mechanics manual for a new car, there is no need for much in the way of thought process. It's a flow chart if "yes" go here, if "no" go there.
Techs only have to be able to operate test equipment and repair tools. Minimizes cost of training, but there's no need to understand the entire system. So you get cheap labor, but don't expect any in depth analysis.
Btw, I own a dwell meter, timing light, etc, but also have modern fuel injected, computer controlled LS motors in my 68 Corvette and 72 Olds. I also have carbed motors in my boat, although I swapped out dual point distributors for HEIs. If you really want to go old school, the genset on my boat is a 4 cylinder flathead with a magneto.
Another interesting aspect is in marine engines. There are fewer and fewer commercial marine techs that can service points, carbs, etc. So those mechanics are charging more now.
I Guess the next logical twist in all this is I too have a dwell meter, timing light and feeler gauges. The problem for me is I do not know how to use all this to find out if it is the MAP sensor or TpS sensor that is malfunctioning?

Last edited by Sampson; August 16th, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Yeah. This is a tough one.

When I was a kid, I used to like cutting the grass - I'd do it even if nobody asked, because I liked the way the place looked with the grass all neat and tidy.

After a while, I got paid for doing some adjacent areas, so that didn't hurt either.

My own kid now will do it if I tell him he has to do it right now, but he does what I call his "John McCain with the North Vietnamese" thing - "I will resist no matter what injustice you force upon me." He does it, but the absolute minimum acceptable amount and quality - absolutely no concern for doing any job well.
And this, in spite of seeing me work 12 hour days, and do all sorts of jobs very carefully and nicely.

Basically, I can force him to do it, but I can't force him to care.
It's very frustrating, really.

- Eric
X2 Eric! I remember being allowed to do those things: Cut the grass, wash the car, etc was. Right of passage. It was a privilege to be allowed to do the task and you wanted to prove that you could do it well.
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Sampson
It was a privilege to be allowed to do the task and you wanted to prove that you could do it well.
Exactly. I had to prove to my grandfather that I could cut the grass properly.
Then I had to prove to him that i could mix the gas properly and start the lawnmower.

My kid can't start the lawnmower.
I don't mean that if I leave him alone, he will flood it.
I mean that if I stand right next to him, open the fuel tap, press the primer the right number of times, and have him pull it repeatedly, it won't start.
If I then give it one pull, it starts immediately.

By the way, same lawnmower. My grandfather bought it in 1970, I still use it every week-and-a-half today.
Pick a good machine, maintain it, and fix it when it breaks.
Oh, wait. That's what we're talking about.

- Eric
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:37 PM

What kind of hobbies does your kid have, Eric? I'm seeing a lot of similarities to myself when I was 17 (well, not THAT bad).
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:15 AM

Kiss

Originally Posted by gearheads78
This is a big pet peave of mine. My washer and dryer have maybe $75.00 in them and both have been in my house 10 years after being thrown out by someone else. Don't get me started on radioas, cell phone and bluetooth integration in cars. I waste so much time with that crap with customer complaints I don't duplicate or computers logic locking (mulitple modules trying to do something at the same time and since they use the same serial data lines locking up entire systems)

The bigger issue I see coming is there are no up and coming techs. I work for a large dealership and 80% of my techs are with in 10 years retirement or less and I see the same thing in other dealerships. Due to government and manufactures wonderful idea of oil life moniter systems that take people 7, 8,9,10K and more between oil changes we have more internal engine work that we have ever had. We have been trying for 6 months to fill an opening for a qualified line tech and have not been able to find anyone to hire.

There is a huge future problem with workforce in this country. The everyone gets a trophy generation walk out on the the first time you even slightly try to scold someone or raise your voice out of displeasure because they screwed up. I have had kids out of college literly start crying and quit because they messed up and have to answer for it.
I couldn't agree more, been at it for 30 years before eec systems, fuel injection etc,the young guys in the business today have no clue about carbs or points for that matter.They expect top dollar entry level from what the instructers have told them they will make,seen many fail.Also the reason all the technology thats caused by the feds looking for zero emissions and 50 plus mpg.When you have 25-30 modules most of them using hs-can network and one of them sneezes they all point fingers,ya diag that have several hours and not get payed for your time by the factory,hell why would any newbie what to get into the feild,let alown 35k+ in tools.Thats 1980s dollars.
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Seff
What kind of hobbies does your kid have, Eric?
Video games. He's very good at them. "Hangs out" with his friends on-line, talking, yelling, hooting, but has no interested in hanging out with them in person.
I think it's a generational thing.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:12 AM

If he only hangs out with them electronically, not physically, then there is a lot less chance that he will get in trouble with them. The majority of kids today are good kids, it is just that we see the world differently then the way that they do. It was the same with us and our parents 60 years ago. They saw things that we only read about in history books, just like our kids today. Man landing on the moon was a event in one day of our lives, but to them, it is an abstract fact in a history book. Can you remember what you were doing on the day that Kennedy was shot? I know that I can clearly, and that is coming up on the 50 year mark in a few months. Each generation sees the world in a different light than the previous, and that is called progress, even if we don't agree with the "progress"...
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Junkman
If he only hangs out with them electronically, not physically, then there is a lot less chance that he will get in trouble with them.
I agree. He doesn't drink, do drugs, or get into trouble.
That itself seems weird to me though.
I mean, it's great, and I would never encourage him to misbehave, but he's 16, and when I was his age, I was drinking in bars and doing other stuff that we all did back then (and so was my father, who used to do his homework sitting at his local bar, and so was my grandfather, who was pretty much on his own from the age of 7 or 8).
I never thought I'd be scratching my head in confusion over the "generation gap."

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Video games. He's very good at them. "Hangs out" with his friends on-line, talking, yelling, hooting, but has no interested in hanging out with them in person.

- Eric
Wow, this my kid!
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Ya, I know, we all walked to school 3 miles uphill both ways. The parents make or break the child in most cases, there's always exception either way. I was a hardhead as a child. Even though I had an absent/alcoholic father I don't use that as an excuse. Luckily I had an Uncle named Sam who turned me around. I felt my childhood was a plus because I learned to do/count on myself and my Uncle Sam taught me the disciple/responsibility. I had a plan for my children before I even had them. I was a firm father, always there never drinking. I didn't try to be "buddy", as many do. I kept them busy with activities/school and some chores. It's always easier to do something yourself than follow up on something they are supposed to do but not for me. My Son and I went around a bit but I never Joe Paterno'd it. (That's my saying for not following up/taking the easy way out. My kids were never in trouble, Teacher and Lawyer both married, 2 grandchild plus one on the way. It's a great feeling when they tell you that they are thankful for me pushing education and the childhood they had. So basically I'm trying to say put in the time/effort with your kids, young workers/trainees. It's reward enough to see them successful. By the way, no disrespect to Papa Joe. I always liked him but one can't overlook anything like that. Ken
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:01 AM

- Eric
Oh, so he's a gamer. Is he reasonably fit, or has the lifestyle taken over? I've played a lot of games, but it's never been my only hobby. My technical inclination came from my early years playing with Lego, and later from helping renovate our house. If he hasn't done stuff like that, then he's not inclined to think "I can do that, it's easy" but rather "damn, how do people do that?". That'll leave him working with, and honing, the skill he DOES know; computers. I'm sure he also frequents online communities, be it reddit, forums of various kinds, imgur, or 4chan.

It's quite possible that most, if not all, of the people are too far away to hang out with any frequency. I had a bunch of US and British friends on Skype at one point - never met any of them, but we talked on/off for a year.

Furthermore, IF he's introverted to some degree, he only interacts with people when he has a purpose - rather than interacting with people to find a purpose or spend time. Hanging out is taxing for introverted people - they'd rather stay in, and go out on occasion. They need to 'recharge'.

17, that puts him in the middle of High School? The US system is a bit obscure to me.

I agree. He doesn't drink, do drugs, or get into trouble.
That itself seems weird to me though.
- Eric
He finds escapism in other things, be it games or something third. I started drinking before I could get into bars, but it wasn't binge drinking. Never did drugs, I'm a square like that.
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Oh, so he's a gamer. Is he reasonably fit, or has the lifestyle taken over?
That's the crazy thing - he's so naturally fit that sitting on his butt for hours a day doesn't seem to cause a problem. He did all of the things he had to do in gym last year (running a mile, and stuff like that) with no apparent effort at all.
He also doesn't eat when he's not hungry.

If he hasn't done stuff like that, then he's not inclined to think "I can do that, it's easy" but rather "damn, how do people do that?".
He hasn't, but it's not for a lack of me trying.
I make him help me with stuff, and I fix everything, but he's just got no interest. He'll stand there bored, and do what I ask, but he's completely disengaged.

It's quite possible that most, if not all, of the people are too far away to hang out with any frequency.
Some are, some aren't. The problem is that where we live, there are no kids right nearby - it's all old people, so his friends from school are all miles away.

IF he's introverted to some degree, he only interacts with people when he has a purpose - rather than interacting with people to find a purpose or spend time. Hanging out is taxing for introverted people - they'd rather stay in, and go out on occasion. They need to 'recharge'.
Well, that's actually a fine point, and well said.
I was no social genius in high school but I enjoyed talking to people - my girlfriends would get annoyed because I'd stop and have conversations with bums on the street. My wife is a smooth talker who could sell ice to the Eskimos.
So, really, I have no idea how to deal with someone who's not naturally good with people, and he kind of isn't.
Even as a little, tiny kid, he used to hate going out to other places, like restaurants.

17, that puts him in the middle of High School? The US system is a bit obscure to me.
16, actually, and, yes, two years down, two to go.
The first two years of high school tend to be an awkward time for most, but the 16-18 year old years tend to be where they start to figure out who they are, get friends they'll keep, and get laid, which tends to motivate them to get out of the house.

I started drinking before I could get into bars, but it wasn't binge drinking.
Exactly. In NY in the '70s, there was nothing remarkable about a kid in a bar - We'd go, have a few drinks, and leave.
Too expensive to get really drunk when you're a kid with no money.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Yeah, he has a physique like me. I ate myself to a sixpack, and coasted through basic training.

He's disengaged because it's not HIS stuff he's fixing. It's just more "boring house/car stuff", even if it keeps bread on the table or a roof over his head (we kids are ungrateful sometimes). Has he held a (real) job yet?

No friends nearby doesn't help, of course.

I believe you're right in thinking he needs to 'find' himself - the introverts I know will find a small social clique that they identify with, which doesn't tax them like other people do.
If he's a smart, logical (albeit maybe a bit cynical, like many young internet frequenters) guy, he won't be going out until he has a 'game plan' of some sort, something to 'offer' that'll impress the ladies and earn him a place on the social scene. Instead of just jumping into it 'naively', as he likely sees it, which to his mind is a waste of time and effort. He'll gain some confidence at some point. Probably concurrently with the first hairs on his chin. :P

As for any bonding, remember; girls bond by talking, guys bond by doing. That's why the wife always wants to know how ones day was, and why you aren't friends with a guy until you've gotten drunk/had a beer/fixed a car/had a fight.
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, he has a physique like me. I ate myself to a sixpack, and coasted through basic training.
I was the same way. When I was 18, I tried sitting around, doing nothing, and eating all day, just to see if I could gain weight. I couldn't.

He's disengaged because it's not HIS stuff he's fixing.
Yes, but, he's the same way with his own car - I keep asking if he wants to wash it (never mind the repairs I forced him to help with), and he just doesn't care.
Chicks don't like dirty cars that smell like wet dogs.

Has he held a (real) job yet?
Nope. Thought he'd get one this summer, but he wasn't 16 'till halfway through, and he wasn't about to get one unless he was very persistent (which he isn't ).

If he's a smart, logical (albeit maybe a bit cynical, like many young internet frequenters) guy, he won't be going out until he has a 'game plan' of some sort, something to 'offer' that'll impress the ladies and earn him a place on the social scene.
You may be right.

He'll gain some confidence at some point. Probably concurrently with the first hairs on his chin. :P
Well, that's another thing. At 13, he had a voice like Barry White and hair on his legs like Sean Connery. When he was about 12, I accidentally saw him getting out of the shower, and was shocked by something else, which, if things have taken their normal course, could really be something that sets him apart in the locker room.
He's a very low-key and laid-back kind of kid, so I guess that what I've always observed about who makes the most noise and who sits back still holds true. I don't think he feels he has anything to prove.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:45 AM

Well, then you'll just have to see how he turns out. I don't hold all the answers, oddly enough.

If he's laid back and doesn't have confidence issues, then maybe discovering a girl he finds worthy of his time and effort will motivate him to pick up the slack?
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Well, that's another thing. At 13, he had a voice like Barry White and hair on his legs like Sean Connery. When he was about 12, I accidentally saw him getting out of the shower, and was shocked by something else, which, if things have taken their normal course, could really be something that sets him apart in the locker room.

- Eric
I think I'll just leave this here (begin @ 8:30)

http://www.familyguyepisodes.tv/fami...wiener_is.html
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:43 AM

I'll let you know that teenage girls around here swear there's such a thing as "growers" and "showers". For whatever it's worth.
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Wow has this thread meandered off course...
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... Which reminds me of an old nautical saying regarding the tonnage of the vessel versus the movement of the sea...

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by m371961
Sooner or later a manufacture is going to realize there is a big market for autos and trucks with only the basics needed to meet fed regulations and basic transportation. I don't want to pay for a car that talks, parks itself, has traffic and blind spot warnings, heated seats and steering wheels etc. Some company is going to build a modern Model T and make a killing, then screw it up by eventually making that car larger and fancier.
Look at the first mini-pickups, the Geo Trackers, etc.
My Dad went through this a few years ago. They live in Northern Michigan and get some deep snow in the winter. They have their car they drive in the summer but Dad wanted a full size pick up with 4wd for the winter. He likes the F-150 for some reason..Went to the dealer and told them he wanted a regular cab basic truck 4wd, am radio, crank windows, no tilt, no cruise, no a/c. Just a basic truck. Would not even mind a manual trans.

The sales person pulled out a 2010 F-150 club cab loaded with everything he did not want...He went to another dealership and found an older sales guy. The guy told him straight up they don't make those anymore except you are a municipality or if you are the state...Everyone wants everthing...

So...he kept his old Dodge Dakota and had some work done to it to keep her on the road.

Last edited by cutlassjoe; August 18th, 2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM

To pull this back on track I have another story (I'm sure you're saying WTF not again at this point)
While in the Marine Corps a good friend of mine decides he wants a muscle car after repeated drives in my 12 second 70 Cutlass. I'm overjoyed because now he can get rid of the pos Euro trash he's driving. He finds a 67 GTO and after looking it over with him he decides to buy it. I'm extolling the virtues of my friends GTO (from my earlier post) about how fast it was etc. etc.
We drive this thing home and it's a pig. I'm so embarrassed after spewing these great tales of how awesome the GTO is. I told him no problem we'll figure it out and I'll make it right.
I started with the basics, timing, dwell, carb tune..............still nothing. Now I'm worried. I remember that the valve train is similar to a Chevy with the lock nuts on the rockers, etc. It can't hurt so let's try a simple lifter/rocker arm adjustment.
Cracking the first nut greets us with a 100 rpm increase in rpm! I'm like wtf! I have to turn the idle down it's so high. This repeats itself 15 more times. The previous owner had torqued the rocker arm nuts down to 25 lb/ft instead of the rocker studs to the head. He probably had .100 inch of lift if that with all the lifters collapsed fully.
Needless to say the thing ran like it should after that and all was well with the muscle car world.
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:40 AM

I was a hard learner of the kiss method. My wood shop teacher was the first to use this method, their is no benefit in doing an operation that takes 6 steps to complete and turn it into 12 because you think it will work better. It normally doesn't turn out that way. I am also in the generation you guys are talking about, (22) but I like to consider my self an exception. It was sad in school how many guys couldn't even change a tire. I think it has a lot of what you are exposed to while younger. I have been exposed to cars/heavy equipment/ machines welders, since I could walk. I was always given opportunity's and allowed to fail with consequences and that was "you f$%#ed it up you fix it, call me when your done". that was how I was taught. I do believe when the work force has to rely on my generation as a whole we are in trouble. I have finally learned the kiss method, It makes my life so much easier.
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:11 AM

I think it's a dumb name, myself. There's nothing stupid about it, or you, or me. It also seems like it's some sort of trendy new name applied to a logic principle that's been around since Greek times, but was really named in medieval times by a guy named Ockham, although it's popularly known as Occam's Razor, with the definition being that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

As for work ethic, my grandmother used to say, among her stock of eternally quotable life lessons and good advice, "From whom much is given, much is expected." I learned. I think many fathers are failing their sons by working too hard at their profession, and not starting with their kids when they are young. If you're not teaching your son to mow grass, shoot a gun, change oil, fish, hunt, and fix things, you're neglecting his education. If he doesn't give a damn, I think it means you started too late.
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Red97
I was a hard learner of the kiss method. My wood shop teacher was the first to use this method, their is no benefit in doing an operation that takes 6 steps to complete and turn it into 12 because you think it will work better. It normally doesn't turn out that way. I am also in the generation you guys are talking about, (22) but I like to consider my self an exception. It was sad in school how many guys couldn't even change a tire. I think it has a lot of what you are exposed to while younger. I have been exposed to cars/heavy equipment/ machines welders, since I could walk. I was always given opportunity's and allowed to fail with consequences and that was "you f$%#ed it up you fix it, call me when your done". that was how I was taught. I do believe when the work force has to rely on my generation as a whole we are in trouble. I have finally learned the kiss method, It makes my life so much easier.
Didn't learn much from my wood shop teacher, he cut his fingers off showing us how to properly use the table saw.
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:27 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by jag1886
Didn't learn much from my wood shop teacher, he cut his fingers off showing us how to properly use the table saw.
haha reminds me of the Youtube video of the officer preaching gun saftey to some students at a school and shoots himself in the foot with his glock.
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jag1886
Yeah, but I bet you were always REALLY careful around table saws after that.

- Eric
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
haha reminds me of the Youtube video of the officer preaching gun saftey to some students at a school and shoots himself in the foot with his glock.
Was his name Barney Fife?
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:31 AM

Ok here is a new trend by Marketers that Erks me. Why do I have to have some kind of rewards card for every store I go into? Now I have to dig through my wallet for some obscure card that I am not even sure that I have to receive a small discount or some point system of discounts. Just give me your best price and KISS.
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why do I have to have some kind of rewards card for every store I go into?
So that they can track every purchase you make.

- Eric
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:41 AM

I prefer calling it "Keep It Simple Smart". Jmo, Ken
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM
car guy

Ok here is a new trend by Marketers that Erks me. Why do I have to have some kind of rewards card for every store I go into? Now I have to dig through my wallet for some obscure card that I am not even sure that I have to receive a small discount or some point system of discounts. Just give me your best price and KISS.
I agree. I hate this at all the grocery stores
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Old School Olds

^^^ Could not agree more.
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:09 PM

I hate membership cards. They want to track you and your buying habits and sell your info off to other marketers.
People want to feel 'special', so being a member makes them feel that way.
They also like to feel like they are beating the system, winning those cheaper prices.
This is why Penney's "no sales" change did not work. I liked it - you get the lowest price right there, get in and out with what you need. After going back to sales, the regular prices jumped 25%.
I think sales and bonuses, and coupons, and points are all a big pain to figure out. I am not going to 5 different stores either to save 3 bucks. I would rather sleep.
So my groceries come from either Wally's to Target - no membership card needed to get their lowest prices. I go once or twice a month and i am done. Decent products, too.
Keep it simple indeed.