General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Keys... Keys anyone??

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2012, 11:08 PM

Keys... Keys anyone??

I'm getting a 71 cutlass for free and I gotta say I'm stoked that a car in good shape would just be given to me.. As always theres a hitch to it... The owners don't have the keys! They have the title and all the paperwork and yadda yadda.. Boring... But where can I get keys?! Do I call the dealer? Is there a way other than putting a flat head screwdriver thru the ignition lock? O wait I cant even do that... The outside doors are locked... Haha jokes on me I guess... Any help would be appreciated... I just don't wanna change the locks on the whole car :P
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:12 AM

You can use a slim Jim or wire hanger to unlock the doors then take the locks out (doors, trunk, glove box) and ignition and take them to a good lock smith. He will be able to use the codes on the locks to cut you new keys, idk if the ignition will have a code though.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:52 AM

On my 70 cutlass the ignition and doors use the same key. If they are original you should be able to take the trunk cylinder and a door cylinder in and have keys made for them and you should be all set. The trunk key will unlock you glove box and maybe the console.That is if in 71 they did the same thing. My 72 chevelle is also that way. Unlocking it without the key will be the easy part. Hurry up and get that car out of there before they change their mind!!!!!

Last edited by 1970 Post; August 2nd, 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

To pop the ignition cylinder, you remove the steering wheel and then the dust cover and the locking plate under it, and move the signal light switch to the side, then press the ignition cylinder locking tang with a screwdriver and the cylinder pops out.

Then you can use a screwdriver for a key until your locksmith makes a key for the cylinder.

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:53 AM

If you've the original paperwork, on the Protect-O-Plate there should be a 4-digit key code.
Any GM dealer should be able to cut a key with that code, but I'd call and ask first.
At least you could 42 years ago when I was working Chevy Parts.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Rickman48
If you've the original paperwork, on the Protect-O-Plate there should be a 4-digit key code.
Of course! Didn't think of that.

If the GM dealer can't find his old key punching tool, a good (read: "old") locksmith should be able to cut it from the code as well.

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:23 AM

BITD - I cut sooo many keys, I could read the key to be copied, and get it right!
But, watch the "old' comments! haha
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:46 AM

I had a key(for the trunk) cut and the locksmith just used some kind of marker to see where the tumblers contacted his blank key then cut the reliefs with a little file, never left the car, took about fifteen minutes .Another locksmith should be able to do the same on your car.... Tedd
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:56 AM
71 cutlass convertible

If he is lucky he will find the keys safely locked in the car on the sun viser or under the seat. I wouldn't I'm not that lucky.

Larry
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
If he is lucky he will find the keys safely locked in the car on the sun viser or under the seat.
Another good point -

Check all the usual places: Inside the air cleaner, under the front seat, in the ashtray, on the sunvisor, magnetically clamped to the inner sides of the frame rails, up under the dash.

You never know...

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:02 AM

open car with coat hanger or jimmy stick

ck everywhere for keys or POP with key info

remove door panel
remove door lock

open glovebox or console, remove lock

take GB/console lock and door lock to smithy, have the keys made. Door should fit ign, and GB should fit trunk.

I have the key code book to translate 1X34 or whatnot on the cylinder into key cuts if need be.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM

Buy one of those oldsmobile bricks from 1970cs. That will get you in way faster than any coat hanger or slim jim!!!! LOL
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
One part at a time

Originally Posted by 1970 Post
Buy one of those oldsmobile bricks from 1970cs. That will get you in way faster than any coat hanger or slim jim!!!! LOL
That's funny. I too think the OP finds the keys in the car... slim jim and search!