General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Key wont turn back, stuck in tumbler

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2013, 06:24 AM

Key wont turn back, stuck in tumbler

Hey Guys,
I picked up a 70 cutlass supreme convertible, with a 350. I have had it about a month. The previous owner was all over the place with what he was doing with this car as far as restoration or modification. Since I have had the car, the ignition key will not return all the way to the off position so I can remove the key. The key acts like it is hung up on something. This is an intermittent problem. Now for two days I have not been able to get it out. Details: I'm pretty positive the Car has been converted from a bench shift on the column to buckets with shift on the floor. The steering column has the notch where the shifter was. The steering wheel has never locked when the car was off. Like the old 50's cars. The steering wheel is not original. If the column is I don't know.
Could it be trans linkage? or the tumbler itself. The cost of the tumbler is cheap. but the labor involved is going to be a day in my garage.I have searched already this forum and didn't really come up with an answer or same situation... Right now my wife wont drive the car because she works in an area that the car may drive off on its own if the key is left in it. Thanks guys! I will post pictures in the newbie section later I read all the post about putting up pictures..
Old September 8th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Old School Olds

Welcome.
You may try grabbing the column
where it rotates, twist it left to right
and at the same time, turn the ignition
back to see it it will lock, so you can pull the key.

Sounds like the column may need to be adjusted,
or the key is worn out. Good luck, let us know.
Old September 8th, 2013, 07:10 AM

No problem. Easy fix.
My '85 442 does this same thing, though it is a factory floor shift. The deal is, the collar on the column needs to move all the way counter clockwise, to the lock position, in order for the key to go to LOCK and be removed. In my case, the linkage is old and sloppy and maybe not adjusted right, so when the floor lever is in Park, the column collar is not QUITE there yet.

In your case, that connecting mechanism from floor shift to column collar may be totally missing, or not adjusted right.

"the Car has been converted from a bench shift on the column to buckets with shift on the floor. The steering column has the notch where the shifter was."

Either way, the easy solution is to reach out, grasp the collar on the column, where your column shift lever used to be, and just move it as if you were putting it in park. All the way CCW from the driver's point of view. This will allow the driver to turn the key to LOCK and remove it.

Note that the column collar probably also controls your reverse lights and N safety switch, so, having it linked to the shifter and working perfectly is the best ultimate solution. But, in a pinch, you can get by with treating the column collar as a separate mechanism that the driver must deal with.
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:27 AM

Thank you!!! guys.. That was exactly what the problem was. I had no idea that collar in column still moved. I went out turned it key came right out.. You guys saved me a ton of work and a huge headache..
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Old School Olds

No Problem.
If you open the hood at the firewall
on the column, there is a rod that runs
down to the transmission. Leave the car
in park, column locked, and you can adjust
the slop through that rod. At the bottom of
that rod there is a bolt that is there for
this adjustment. Loosen the bolt, take up the
play, retighten and you should be good to go.
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:23 AM

For payment, you must only help another in the future....
Old September 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM

I will help anyway I can. I will take a look at the rod adjustment too.. Thanks again.