General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

just a bad day

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

just a bad day

I took the cutlass out saturday for the last test n tune i planned on going to this season. I worked all week to make sure the car was good i put in a new wheel cylinder new rear shoes and checked timing and all that fun stuff. Saturday comes me and my good friend load the trailer pack up and head up the the dragstrip. As soon as we unload the car the starter decides its time to give me a hard time and the solenid takes a dump. i had to beat the starter a few times in the staging lanes., everyone was like i remember when i was young and broke lol. If that wasnt enough to get me mad they were moving the lanes very slow it took me 4 hrs to make 3 runs i spent 45 bucks and was mad. On my last run i wanted to get higher on the converter but my brakes decide nope we are not gonna hold and i redlit so bad i got no time on my slip . So after a beer and a burger we put the mufflers back on and the street tries and get ready to load up as we are loading it up one of the ramps slides out and the car lands on the frame . luckily it landed on the rear boxed portion. With that being my last outing i think i still had a great season. Nothing expesive broke all i had to do was simple cheap stuff. I think a busted starter and very frustrating day was a small price to pay for a good season of cruising and beating on the olds
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:41 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Sorry to read about the issues you encountered.
I'd say it was a good day though...you didn't end up with any sheetmetal damage when the ramp slipped out...a good thing
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM

yeah, and after wasting all the money I did on my restoration I was under my car last night beating my starter as well sounds like you had an ok day
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM

Classic cars and classic guys we go together like burgers and fries
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM

it was ok could have been worse., but i have never had so many things go wrong in one day . I was less frustrated when i hit the wall on I 290 . I guess i gotta take the good with the bad .
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM

I got to put a starter on my Vista at the number 7 gas pump at Love's truckstop off I69 just south of Ft. Wayne a couple months ago. Had some Amish family in a car next to me watching. I'm sure they were amused with the dumbass in his "fancy" automobile
The truck stop is about in the middle of no where.

I called Auto zone & they delivered a rebuilt starter to the gas pump for a total of $50.00.
Very cool of Auto zone to do this!!

At least you're beating on a classic muscle car & not some new car where you can't even find the starter!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:09 PM

i was tempted to call autozone and just fix it at the track but hitting it with a hammer was so much easier lol. It finally died today while unloading it from the trailer . Looks like my list of winter upgrades and repairs just got a little bigger
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
i was tempted to call autozone and just fix it at the track but hitting it with a hammer was so much easier lol. It finally died today while unloading it from the trailer . Looks like my list of winter upgrades and repairs just got a little bigger
Go with a mini starter and be done with it............I unplugged my neutral safty switch and used the starter to drag the car up the trailer.....Not the smartest thing to do but with a non running car a late night at the track and no one to help push i had to do something! lol
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM

thats my plan . im gonna get a new starter going with a mini style im tired of having to fight the header and the starter at the same time to get it in and out
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I got to put a starter on my Vista at the number 7 gas pump at Love's truckstop off I69 just south of Ft. Wayne a couple months ago. Had some Amish family in a car next to me watching. I'm sure they were amused with the dumbass in his "fancy" automobile
The truck stop is about in the middle of no where.

I called Auto zone & they delivered a rebuilt starter to the gas pump for a total of $50.00.
Very cool of Auto zone to do this!!

At least you're beating on a classic muscle car & not some new car where you can't even find the starter!
Had to install one on the show floor of a World of Wheels show. Starter went out on the move in. Happened in the early 80's, I'm over it now, was even funny then.
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I've got another old beater starter here in the garage for you. Will trade for a case of Coors banquet, or a pile of firewood for the back patio. I'm just south of you in Downers Grove.