General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Junkyard tour

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2014, 07:05 PM

Junkyard tour

We took a long weekend trip to Las Vegas the weekend before last (I can't say what we did there, though, because what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas), but I can say that it involved golf.

Anyway, we passed this absolutely wonderful auto salvage yard about 20 miles north of Kingman, Arizona. We stopped there on our way back on a Sunday morning, when they were unfortunately not open, so I had to take what photos I could through and over the fence. Still, it was a virtual outdoor museum of old American iron. They do offer yard tours for $5, and I would have done it if they had been open.

The yard itself is apparently for sale as well. If anyone is interested in any of these cars, the phone number of the place, which is called A-1 Auto, is (928) 767-3360.

Amongst the cars I could see, only three were Oldsmobiles, but all quite restorable. In fact, every car I could see was restorable to one extent or another.

Here's a shot of the yard sign, phone number, etc. You can see what I'm talking about as far as salvageable cars. In this photo alone can be seen an early '60s Ford Ranchero at left, a mid-'60s Chevy full-size behind the yellow sign, a mid-'60s Mustang to the right of the Chevy, and a black early '60s (I think) Ford Thunderbird to the right of the tall tree. That's a Cutlass behind the Thunderbird, and I've got a closer-up photo of it below.

Two shots of a '62 Buick wagon. Looked extremely restorable.

Three shots of a '60s (I think) Mercury wagon. Not sure of the year or model. Interior is exposed to the weather with that gaping hole in the windshield, but the car still looked pretty good.

The first of the three Oldsmobiles. A '55 (I think). Don't know if it's an 88 or 98. 2-door post. Some rust, but not too bad overall. Had that sunvisor over the exterior of the windshield that cars often featured back then.

Two Fords and a Buick Riviera. $2495 for the Buick.

Two shots of a mid-'30s (?) LaSalle. Don't see one of these very often. It's the car mentioned by Archie and Edith in the opening song ("Those Were the Days") of All in the Family that no one could ever understand the lyrics of. Looked very saveable.

Early '50s (?) three-holer Buick.

General view of the yard and lots of cars that I couldn't get any closer to.

Another general view. Are those two Nashes standing side by side?

Late '40s (?) Plymouth.

1950-ish(?) Chevy. At least I think it's a Chevy.

With the exception of that big dent in the driver's door, it looks like you could hop in this Buick and drive it home. Even the tires are holding air. Not sure of the year. Late '60s? Taken with my camera's zoom lens.

Early '70s(?) AMC Javelin. Someone's had fun with the wheels.

The second Oldsmobile I spotted. Mid-'70s Omega 2-door looked very solid. Not sure what the "V" in the window means. Victory?

Also taken through the fence with a zoom lens.

The last four images are in the next post.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 28th, 2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:09 PM

More from the Kingman, Arizona yard.

Great shot (if I do say so myself) of vintage iron against the desert/mountain backdrop. What do we have here? Mercury Comet convertible (mid-'60s?), what looks like a Datsun convertible, a '50-ish 3-holer Buick 4-door sedan, and what looks like a mid-60s Ford or Mercury. I think I'm going to print out and frame this one.

Closer-up view of the Comet. No top and open to the elements, but in Arizona, what elements? Looks very saveable.

Another nice Riviera which looks like someone has done some body work on.

The third Oldsmobile spotted, this by the yard's office. '61 or '62 Cutlass 2-door hardtop. Like the Buick earlier, it looks like you could just drive this away (if you put some new tires on it). Would certainly make a good restoration candidate or parts car for someone restoring one of these. I think it says $5295 on the passenger door window.

Old October 27th, 2014, 07:16 PM

That T-Bird looks like it was customized into a Ranchero/El Camino.
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Wow!, great yard and pics..

In front of the 2 Nashes, a late 70's mustang t top,(?)and a Contenental with the suicide doors.....
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:14 PM

Cool pics
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:23 AM

Just on the north side of Vegas, beside the race track, is a half dozen wrecking yards with a couple of them with mostly '60's vehicles within. Didn't you check them out?
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Too bad it was a Sunday...
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:01 AM

I've since learned that the blue and white Buick wagon is a '62, and I've corrected my description.
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Those are nice. Wish I had the time for some of them.
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:12 AM

Thanks for sharing that
AMAZING how much better sheet metal is out west
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The yard itself is apparently for sale as well.
Unfortunately, that has become a very common occurrence out here. What used to be worthless desert is now valuable real estate.