General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Joe P's Nationals Photos

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe P's Nationals Photos

Finally got a workable internet connection. Here for your viewing pleasure:

36 Olds street rod (with an actual Olds motor!)

This Fiesta wagon was one of my favorites. Unfortunately the hood was closed the whole time I was there. I just hope that wasn't because it has a "corporate" motor.

This 1966 L-69 convertible makes me want to finish mine. Loved the color - and the Hurst wheels.

Another of my favorites. This 68 F-85 Ram Rod looked positively evil. Perfect stance, perfectly-fitting wheel/tire combo (though the owner did confess to me that the rear tires rub).

A one-of-25 1969 W-32 Sport Coupe. Triple green, with bench seat and column shift. For sale, but no price listed. I really want one of these...

Finally, not an Olds, but seen in the hotel parking lot. Yes, that's a Pontiac SSJ/Hurst. When was the last time you saw one?

Old July 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM
Registered car nut

Awesome pics, nice variety !
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM

great pictures Joe. I want the 57 wagon same color as my 57 Super 88 make a nice combo
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by citcapp
great pictures Joe.
Thanks. I took those with my cell phone. It's better than the real digital camera that I bought eight years ago.
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Technology...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Thanks. I took those with my cell phone. It's better than the real digital camera that I bought eight years ago.
???? Cell phone???? You're kidding. You got one of them low cost $1500.00 specials? Ya, I know, my wife's phone takes pretty decent pics too. Just have to get her to hold steady.

Must have stock in "Research in Motion". Isn't it incredible how technology today has changed the way we do things? If you went back to the "good ol days - circa 1956 - and told people that you wanted to take their picture with your phone? You'd be wearing a straight jacket and locked up in the looney bin.
Old July 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM
car guy

Really nice pics. Thank you.
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
???? Cell phone???? You're kidding. You got one of them low cost $1500.00 specials? Ya, I know, my wife's phone takes pretty decent pics too. Just have to get her to hold steady.

Must have stock in "Research in Motion". Isn't it incredible how technology today has changed the way we do things? If you went back to the "good ol days - circa 1956 - and told people that you wanted to take their picture with your phone? You'd be wearing a straight jacket and locked up in the looney bin.
Yeah, wasn't that a recurring theme in the Back to the Future movies?

As for the phone, it's a couple year old LG Voyager. I paid dearly for it because I got it when it had just come out ($300 or so). Now you can get one for about $99.
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

One more cool thing about the Fiesta wagon. You can't really see it in the photo, but the owner had rearranged the OLDSMOBILE letters on the grille (and replaced a few) to spell out BOBS OLDS. He really only needed one additional B and one more S to make that work.
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Joe: I asked Bob (the guy w/the '57 Fiesta) where he had the hub caps made on his car. My surprise when he said they were off a '78-80 Delta 88 Royale Holiday (not sure if that's in the correct order). I have to find a set for the Silver Bullet, think that would really set the car off, and we all know it's not "REAL" anyway; it's one off, for sure. Once again, my pleasure meeting you, and hope to see you next year in Sturbridge.
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Joe: I asked Bob (the guy w/the '57 Fiesta) where he had the hub caps made on his car. My surprise when he said they were off a '78-80 Delta 88 Royale Holiday (not sure if that's in the correct order). I have to find a set for the Silver Bullet, think that would really set the car off, and we all know it's not "REAL" anyway; it's one off, for sure. Once again, my pleasure meeting you, and hope to see you next year in Sturbridge.
Aron,

It was great to meet you also. The "starfish" centers on the Fiesta were, in fact, factory available on 77-80 D88s. You can see them on the 77 Indy pace car, for example. Unfortunately, the D88s were offered with both the 4.75" and the 5" bolt circles. Only those cars with the 4.75" bolt circle got the SSIII wheels with these centers. Your car has the larger 5" bolt circle. Sorry.
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:45 PM

Joe,
Was the 69 W-32 from MN? I raced an older guy who had one 20 years ago and he bought it new I bet he would be 75 years old by now. It came with black inner fenders with the ram air tubes. He said he was questioned constantly by guys who told him they should be red. It was quite a car.
Old July 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Banned

i guarantee you this guy doesnt have docs on this car.

i knew the guy that used to own it,lives here in Columbus.H&H bought it 4 or 5 years ago,and flipped it,along with 2 real w-32's he had,one a factory two tone red/white car.

same guy used to own the 69 w-32 ragtop that sold at B-J 5 or 6 years ago for $102k

when the guy in Columbus owned it,it was a plain jane column shift 442 with no stripesand SSII wheels.

Last edited by agtw31; July 26th, 2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old July 26th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Aron,

It was great to meet you also. The "starfish" centers on the Fiesta were, in fact, factory available on 77-80 D88s. You can see them on the 77 Indy pace car, for example. Unfortunately, the D88s were offered with both the 4.75" and the 5" bolt circles. Only those cars with the 4.75" bolt circle got the SSIII wheels with these centers. Your car has the larger 5" bolt circle. Sorry.
Correction: For some reason I was thinking of your Custom Cruiser, not your flattop. Of course these will fit the Silver Bullet (so long as the SSIIIs are snap-in center versions).

Sorry for the confusion.
Old July 26th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by agtw31
i guarantee you this guy doesnt have docs on this car.

i knew the guy that used to own it,lives here in Columbus.H&H bought it 4 or 5 years ago,and flipped it,along with 2 real w-32's he had,one a factory two tone red/white car.

same guy used to own the 69 w-32 ragtop that sold at B-J 5 or 6 years ago for $102k

when the guy in Columbus owned it,it was a plain jane column shift 442 with no stripesand SSII wheels.
I had a hunch. The hood was never opened and (if you haven't guessed by now) I'm pretty cynical when it comes to rare cars that have been fully restored. In particular, it is VERY easy to fake a W32.
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Banned

it looks nice under the hood,ive seen it at a few shows around Columbus.

i believe he has repop fenderwells.
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM
zed

Beautiful pics. Love that 36 at the start.Cool to hear that there's Olds power in it as well. Love seeing something different under the hood than the usual sbc no matter what the make. Love that Hurst GP as well. (I got a thing for Pontiacs)
Old July 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by agtw31
it looks nice under the hood,ive seen it at a few shows around Columbus.

i believe he has repop fenderwells.
Yeah? What color? W32s should have black inner fenders.