General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Internet Car Purchases GONE WILD

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM

Before I bought my 48 Olds in Oklahoma. I had the owner send pictures of all areas of the car including inside fender wells, frame trunk and complete underside of car. he did this with no complaint I bought it based on the pictures. I flew to Oklahoma to pick up the car and it was as represented. He was an honest guy. Now I know how lucky I was after reading your story. I will be more careful from now on and always go look before I buy or pay to have it inspected before purchase.
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:53 AM

Scammers

This guy wanted a $1000 deposit then another grand to get me to the front of his waiting list. I believe it's been 6 years now and he has yet to do ANYTHING.

I'd like to take his head off, But if he can live with it, I can live without it.

http://www.iceboxes.com/

Yeah Yeah, "I know caveat emptor."

My grand father used to say, "Ya get what ya pay for.................
.......................if you're lucky."

I would say, "It better to get stolen from, than to steal."
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by agtw31
i bought a cutlass off ebay from oregon a few years back,ran into the same thing..the Oregon attorney general told me this:

if the people that ripped you off dont show a pattern of dishonesty,meaning they ripped a lot of people off,then they wont go after them hard.

they did get me some shipping money back,but those guys are still doing business on ebay

i think the only recourse you have is to hire an attorney.

they will lose the case,and they will pay the attorney's fees.
Were you happy just getting some shipping money back?
Did you get an attorney?

Just spoke with my attorney, he sent a certified letter yesterday.

-the REV
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:33 AM

Wow! what a painful story. Someone went to a lot of trouble to make that car look good. Then the sellers must have known the buyer would pursue legal action. I wonder if they planned on skipping the country or just thought they could wear you down until you gave up on trying to get your money back? Yes Rev you have been more than kind in trying to resolve this with them. But please don't give up, if not for yourself then to reduce the chance that these people do this to someone else in the future, and endanger their lives as well. John
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:48 AM

Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 7:35 PM
To: xxxxx
Subject: Email communication

EMail communication just doesn't seem to be working.

According to Webster's Dictionary communication is defined as:
a process by which information is exchanged between individuals through a common system of symbols.

You see it is the part where "information is exchanged" that the spirit of the definition is not being upheld in this matter.

Unless there is a system malfunction with my email provider, I think I am fulfilling my portion of "communicating."

Webster says that communication is not relegated to just a "common system of symbols" but also includes "systems of signs, or behavior" in addition to "personal rapport."

I believe I must attempt to rebirth a dialogue using one of these alternate means of communication. Any suggestions from you on a commonly preferred system are appreciated.

Thanks again,
Rev.

I will add this to the email page: www.itands.com/majesticcarcompany4.htm on Monday
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM

Times have sure changed. My dads theory was (remember I'm 63) if they don't respond to reasonable discussion then take the bastard out behind the barn and beat the tar out of him. The law is the law and we have to follow it or end up in jail or sued even if we are in the right, but somestimes it would be fun to do it the old fashioned way just for the satisfaction and at the same time send the message don't F*#% with the Olds guys.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:27 AM

Don't miss this one:

They are back in the Internet Sales Business:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...1%7C240%3A1308

Anybody here on the Vette sites?

--the REV
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:57 AM

You know Pat even though you've got a few years on me I suspect our Dad's were in the same generation. I believe that generation also had more social pressure to make people behave well and do the right thing. In the mid 1960's my oldest sister got pregnant. There was no doubt what the right thing to do was, my Dad and her boyfriends Dad got together and planned the wedding. I don't believe we had a large problem with deadbeat dads because society said "you WILL do the right thing. Or when my cousin was being just a little too wild and crazy in his late teens, the judge gave him a choice, go to jail or join the military. He needed that disclipine in his life that the military gave him. There may be pro's and con's to these examples, but I believe we've gone downhill due to the lack of moral values and a sense of right and wrong going from black in white to relative terms. What's right and wrong to me may not fit you, so do your own thing. I know not everything was rosy back then, but I long for those days when a mans word meant something. John
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by BLESSEDBYGOD
Don't miss this one:

--the REV
Anybody been to this site yet?
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM

Yep, I briefly toyed with the idea of asking the seller a question like. Could you send me some pics of the rusted out frame.
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Yep, I briefly toyed with the idea of asking the seller a question like. Could you send me some pics of the rusted out frame.
I would not even toy with the idea. Everyone here with Ebay accounts should be asking similar questions.

Here is what I sent.

can you send me some pics of the frame please. I here a lot of cars from there are rusted out death traps. I would like to make sure this one is not before I bid
Thanks

Last edited by gearheads78; March 21st, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM

Yep, I just asked about the condition of the undercarriage based on concerns due to the condition of a 1969 Olds they sold. Rev, I didn't see negative feedback on your part? That might help warn others of potential problems. John
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
car guy

hey Rev, you might want to take some more pics to show this is indeed the same car. A couple of people on one of the other boards have mentioned rusty pics don't show that its the same car.
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I would not even toy with the idea. Everyone here with Ebay accounts should be asking similar questions.

Here is what I sent.

can you send me some pics of the frame please. I here a lot of cars from there are rusted out death traps. I would like to make sure this one is not before I bid
Thanks
I asked for some pics of the under carriage. Lets see what excuse he has
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM

hey Rev, you might want to take some more pics to show this is indeed the same car. A couple of people on one of the other boards have mentioned rusty pics don't show that its the same car.
Will do, didn't even think about that.

-the REV
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Yep, I just asked about the condition of the undercarriage based on concerns due to the condition of a 1969 Olds they sold. Rev, I didn't see negative feedback on your part? That might help warn others of potential problems. John
No negative because they stopped the auction. It was being won by a zero history bidder above reserve and they wanted to sell it to me.

-the REV
Old March 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM

OK, well I hope that wasn't part of the scam Rev to get the sale outside ebay. I noticed that the rest of their feedback is pretty good. I wonder if they bought the car without really looking it over, then just chose to pass on the problem rather than eat the loss themselves. Either way, I wish you well in recovering some if not all your money back. At this point that looks like a very expensive parts car! John
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:43 PM

Man I hate hearing this stuff, I am sure they will get what they deserve, maybe not from the law but from someone with more influence! If you don't mind me asking agtw31, who did you deal with in Oregon I want to keep away from them!
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM

Did you pay for it with a credit card, or pay pals? Both of these have avenues to refund your money with a return, or deceptive practices.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by hamm36
Did you pay for it with a credit card, or pay pals? Both of these have avenues to refund your money with a return, or deceptive practices.
Wired funds was all they would take.

--the REV
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:46 AM

Don't miss this one:

--the REV
Looks like they want to clear out their inventory before the crap hits the fan... I wonder how many wood blocks THIS one is riding on??
Sad part is that people are bidding on it! I would be tempted to notify the winning bigger to demand an undercarriage inpection before paying. Lets see if it canceled somehow so he can sell offline...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 22nd, 2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Senior Moment Member

I own a 71. As I see it the mufflers are not installed correctly. Wonder why? I think I'll ask/hassle them about it.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Looks like they want to clear out their inventory before the crap hits the fan... I wonder how many wood blocks THIS one is riding on??
Sad part is that people are bidding on it! I would be tempted to notify the winning bigger to demand an undercarriage inpection before paying. Lets see if it canceled somehow so he can sell offline...
This is where I think Ebay's new hidden identity policies are hurting the honest guy and helping the crooks. Ebay claims it is to protect sellers *and* buyers, but I think it is only to protect Ebay's income.
Before, you could contact bidders.
Sure there is some *small* benefits, but overall the crooks by far get the most help!
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Moment Member

Here's what I sent them:Why are the mufflers tilted. They don't look like they are put on correctly. I have a 71 and I know how they are supposed to look. So what's up. I hope you guys are not the same people who sold that 69 H/O clone with the rusty frame. Are you?
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
This is where I think Ebay's new hidden identity policies are hurting the honest guy and helping the crooks. Ebay claims it is to protect sellers *and* buyers, but I think it is only to protect Ebay's income.
Before, you could contact bidders.
Sure there is some *small* benefits, but overall the crooks by far get the most help!
Identity at least becomes unhidden after sale, if they buy on-line. I contacted the "TWO" people that bought the same Comet from them last month. Have not heard back from either one.

-the REV
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM

better ugrade the bandwidth...its now on the following
realoldspower
performance years
pro-touring
lateral-g
chevelles.com
Those chevelle guys can be tough. My uncle had a '66 and Dad a '72 so I know first hand. I read the quotes on their site.
www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2271908
If possible let them know that I ran the VIN and knew I was buying a Cutlass S and not a 442 or HO. A Cutlass Convertible in the apparent shape this one was in was not a suspicious price to me at 15000.00

The original plan was to get my wife this Cutlass for her 40th and get me the '71 Chevelle SS I have always wanted for my 40th in 2 years. Probably not going to happen that way......

I appreciate the posts on the other forums. If you get a chance Google "Majestic Car Company" and see where all the hits take you.
ALSO they are NOT the Majestic Car in Arizona. Just wanted to clarify that.

thanks again
-the REV

Last edited by BLESSEDBYGOD; March 22nd, 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
GM Enthusiast

Rev,

Really sorry to see what you are going through. I am on the Corvette forum and will post it over there. Keep us updated.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I will NEVER buy a car over the internet unless I physically see it, now that I've read your story. I would be taking a trip to Flint if theres no resolution.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM

That just sad and another reason I will continue to build my own.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by trdbrd
That just sad and another reason I will continue to build my own.
If no resolution to this problem, I may be building my own also.

-the REV
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:20 AM

http://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/Ford-Bronco-...1%7C240%3A1308

Found this Bronco they sold once. Great frame pics. And to think they told me all they had was a hoist to lift one end of the vehicle. That and the 8 inches of snow that prevented my from getting my frame pics.

They never show the frame on any other sales that I can see other than this one.

-the REV
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:42 AM

To give the devil his due.

It's alot easier to get frame pics of a Bronco that a Cutlass with 14" rims.

On another board, someone suggested trying to re frame the car. Is that a possibility for you ?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Banned

if you have the tools,and the space to do it,it's easy to reframe a 69 cutlass

W31040.jpg
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Banned

Were you happy just getting some shipping money back?
Did you get an attorney?

-the REV
it wasnt worth getting an attorney,i only paid $1500 for the car,and $900 to ship it.
the seller sent me back $100 in a day,then he sent me another pile of money to cover shipping.

the thing the seller didnt know was that the car was a 4 speed cutlass post w-31.

i sold the body to karl suppoli? in arizona,he's almost done redoing it right now.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:38 AM

Rev,
Read philippians 4:13 and get your self a frame and do some floor repair. I think it is the only way to come out on this deal. The car will be fine. My kids just did the same job a couple months back.
Make it a learning experience. You can do it!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
To give the devil his due.

It's alot easier to get frame pics of a Bronco that a Cutlass with 14" rims.

On another board, someone suggested trying to re frame the car. Is that a possibility for you ?
A lot easier when you drive it up on that set of 5ft tall lift ramps he apperently has too.

-the REV
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by MN71W30
Rev,
Read philippians 4:13 and get your self a frame and do some floor repair. I think it is the only way to come out on this deal. The car will be fine. My kids just did the same job a couple months back.
Make it a learning experience. You can do it!
I can do all things with Duct Tape and JB weld. A rebuild would definately be penance for lack of judgement in trust.

My buddy at the dealership is looking at the Motor and Trannie today, he has some suspicions. I don't know just how much is worth carrying over to a new frame.

How far out of line is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-GTO-Convertible-Frame_W0QQitemZ130295550069QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1302955500 69&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C65% 3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Will a vert frame always run this high due to scarcity?

-the REV
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM

You're buddy sounds like a good guy.

IMHO I'd gather ALL of the facts before I plan my work and work my plan.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
car guy

I can do all things with Duct Tape and JB weld. A rebuild would definately be penance for lack of judgement in trust.

My buddy at the dealership is looking at the Motor and Trannie today, he has some suspicions. I don't know just how much is worth carrying over to a new frame.

How far out of line is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-GTO-Convertible-Frame_W0QQitemZ130295550069QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1302955500 69&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C65% 3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Will a vert frame always run this high due to scarcity?

-the REV
thats a little high but not way out of line since its already blasted and powdercoated. I see unfinished vert frames 2000-2500 range usually. Blasting and coating is 600-700 range
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:42 AM

The Chevelle guys know where they live!

http://www.pbase.com/shayfah/image/110473371

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...=265774&page=2

-the REV

Quick Reply: Internet Car Purchases GONE WILD