General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Inspection time

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2015, 11:46 AM

Inspection time

Hi guys,
I still have a regular plate on my '69 Cutlass which also requires a yearly safety inspection, well they found I need a Left upper ball joint a Right lower ball joint, new front shocks, my brakes either need bled or readjusted, my right rear taillight was out and my windshield sprayer wasn't working. I knew about the windshield sprayer as it has no tank, the tail light was just replaced last year, and the front suspension hasn't been touched while I've owned it (16 years). So all that being said, I've been considering a disc brake swap and new front springs, so should I just bite the bullet and upgrade or fix what is wrong and do the disc upgrade some other time? Opinions please,
Thanks,
Jon
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:01 PM
same but different

Jon, I would do the disc upgrade now, a get the front end in top shape.
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:05 PM

My opinion = Do the springs & disc brake conversion now. You are already going to have the front suspension apart to do the ball joints. MAW throw in bushings, tie rod ends, and whatever else is worn while you're in there. Sure, it'll take longer & a little more $$$, but there's no sense tearing it apart twice....
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:34 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Agreed MAW while its apart. Do all of it. Bushings, BJs, all steering linkage, shocks, wheel bearings...should come with the disc conversion, soft brake lines too....Buy the best quality BJs you can find, in fact buy the best quality for all of it... I don't think Spicer makes A body BJs... unfortunately. No chinese junk, including the bearings and hoses etc...Ask the vendor for country of origin. As far as the disc conversion its up to you but the drums work fine. I did mine and didnt really see any huge improvement just easier to only have to adjust the rears.
Next is the rear end bushings... let the MAWs commence. I would at minimum do the rear shocks and the one soft brake line at the same time you do the fronts. So you get fresh brake fluid throughout the system. Brakes should be bled every 3-5 years at min anyway.
If your ride heights ok and the car doesn't have a zillion miles on it the springs could be reused if they inspect ok. You,ll know when you pull them out too. See if they are both sitting at the same height unsprung. Up to you, not that expensive but are the new ones better than the originals???
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:04 PM
Administrator

I'd fix what ever is needed with the drums. That's an odd finding with the ball joints, how did they come up with that and who does the inspection? Since when is a windshield washer a safety item?
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jon69olds
Hi guys,
I still have a regular plate on my '69 Cutlass which also requires a yearly safety inspection, well they found I need a Left upper ball joint a Right lower ball joint, new front shocks, my brakes either need bled or readjusted, my right rear taillight was out and my windshield sprayer wasn't working. I knew about the windshield sprayer as it has no tank, the tail light was just replaced last year, and the front suspension hasn't been touched while I've owned it (16 years). So all that being said, I've been considering a disc brake swap and new front springs, so should I just bite the bullet and upgrade or fix what is wrong and do the disc upgrade some other time? Opinions please,
Thanks,
Jon
If this car is your daily driver or a weekend cruiser, then fix what needs to be fix to pass inspection. You can do the disc brake conversion later on. Winter time is around the corner so if you're not going to take the car out for the winter then do the conversion.
Old October 1st, 2015, 04:44 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I'm firmly in the "do it all and do it right" camp. The major upside to this is that it's also the "do it once" method.
Old October 1st, 2015, 07:23 PM

Find an inspector who is susceptible to bribes, then fix it when you have got the parts and time. Jack it up and see if the problems actually exist. Vehicle inspection causes more problems than it fixes.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 05:30 AM

Definitely NOT a daily driver, only got about 500 miles this year. I've been considering a disc conversion anyway for a while, so why do it twice? The front springs are most likely original. I replaced the rear springs and shocks when I first bought the car, as the ones in it were just plain SHOT. I've only had to replace a ball joint 1 other time in 2011, but the others are most likely old if not original. The brakes were bled 2 years ago as it needed both front wheel cylinders. I guess I could get away with just fixing what is wrong. I'm just not sure if that's ok or not. I agree the brake lines should probably be replaced at least the soft ones.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 05:55 AM

It'd do it now. I needed similar work last summer, and I just cracked and bought everything. The whole front system cost me about $600. Everything. I think that included brake pads and I turned the factory rotors again. And the alignment.

I didn't want to, and even after all that the car doesn't handle very well, but at least its done.

My advise it to buy everything from Rockauto. Even with shipping it would have been cheaper. I would have saved about $75 even at the wholesale prices I paid through the ex-father-in-laws shop.

Just don't expect the car to handle exceptionally well afterwards, because like me, you'll be disappointed if you do.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 07:37 AM

Oh I know these aren't sports cars and never will be, plus it's not like I Autocross or something. If I do replace it will be with factory style replacements. I've been looking around trying to find everything I need and didn't see a disc brake conversion on RockAuto. I would like to order everything from 1 vendor.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:30 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Do the upgrade as well as fix the non brake related faults.
Windshield washers have been a safety related item since the advent of road spray, defecating birds, and anything else that could obscure the forward view from a moving car.

Roger.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:59 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by jon69olds
Oh I know these aren't sports cars and never will be, plus it's not like I Autocross or something. If I do replace it will be with factory style replacements. I've been looking around trying to find everything I need and didn't see a disc brake conversion on RockAuto. I would like to order everything from 1 vendor.
Try InLine Tube. They have everything you need. Also I noticed you said you don't drive the car much. Since you don't why not register your car as being a classic/antique car. Then you probably wont have to get it inspected. I register both of my cars with year correct plates and don't have to get the car inspected. I know that we are in different states but my license tags are for 5yrs and cost very, very little. Just a thought
Old October 3rd, 2015, 05:05 AM

Jon, I have a complete disc brake set up off a 70 Vista Cruiser that should work on your 69, if you're thinking of doing it all at once. $175. plus shipping? PM me if interested. Greg
Old October 3rd, 2015, 09:28 AM
Brent in Georgia

Move

I would just move to a different state!