General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Info on Best Place to learn about Motors

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2012, 07:38 AM

Info on Best Place to learn about Motors

This might sound like putting the cart before the horse but here goes. I have my 69 cutlass S and the motor is solid for a 2bbl. I'm pretty green when it comes to motors and how they work. I can do the basic stuff like change filters/pcv's/drain coolant,oil etc. but when it comes to the meat of how a combustion motor works with a carb and tranny I'm pretty lost. I have my brother to help me but I want to stop calling him like a screaming girl every time I need help Anyway I get more satisfaction out of doing things myself but I'm too scared to touch stuff for fear of messing up. I want to get to the point where I can take a short block and put a motor together myself or troubleshoot an issue where I can pull intakes and heads to try and fix myself. Stuff like my bro does.

Does anyone know of any good sites or hands on courses that I can attend that will clearly explain the concepts of a functioning motor and related components. I know I can do it but this stuff is all greek to me right now and I've read more than I ever thought I would. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM

Search here, search the Internet, buy a couple books... You could take a course if you have the time and money, but your best bet is probably to read and ask questions. If you have specific questions, you could post them in this section, there are a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge here who would be happy to share.
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM

I learned one bolt at a time. Remember, installation is the reverse of removal Seriously, if you have a specific problem many of us are more than happy to walk you through it when the time comes.

Don't be scared to dig into an engine, be scared that you have to pay someone if you don't.
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Lesson 1. A motor gets power from another source. A engine creates its' own power.
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM

As mentioned, books are a good idea, as have several. There's really nothing better than hands on though, and many high schools and community colleges have adult education courses on this to get you started. What I'd do.
Old July 4th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Get some goo manuals for your car, and start experimenting. Search the internet on internal combustion engines and read. When you fully understand what a engine does, then you can figure out what it likes! Basically all engines like the same things.

Also taking a course as mentioned above would help you dramatically.
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Thank you fellas...I've been doing some digging and hopefully will find some teaching schools to get me going...along with classicolds and my brother hopefully I'll get my questions answered as I venture deeper into my car Thanks again. Cheers.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:36 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Once you grasp the basic's of how an engine works,here are a few Olds specific books that are very informative.
In no particular order,all great books.

1) A chassis service manual for your specific car

2) Wild about cars engine modification and tuning guide by Bob Gerometta

3) Mondello Oldsmobile V-8 technical reference manual by Joe Mondello
Mondello's performance products parts catalog is technically
prepared,another good source for info

4) How to Build max performance Oldsmobile V-8's by Bill Trovato
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:36 PM

if you have never rebuilt any engine, i would get a $5 push mower from a local flea market and rebuild that engine as a first step. not necessarily to make it run but just to take it apart and put it back together. then worry about doing one to make it run. i guess it is a matter of how much you know now and were you want to start. if you goof up a $5 push mower it is only $5. if you goof up the engine in your car it is $$$. i started rebuilding 3 wheeler engines when i was 12 and did many more before i was 15 when i did my first car engine.
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Start here by downloading the 69 chassis service manual. Just do it!
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990355278709
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM

I'm in the same boat. These guys are extremely helpful. Buy them a beer and they may come over to your shop and help you out!
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:55 PM

I teach engine building for the US Army a great book to learn the principles that you can google and find a free copy is TM (technical manual) 9-8000 Principles of Automotives. This is the mechanic bible for new soldiers training to become mechanics it talks about all motors V, inline, radial, rotary, turbine. It also has principles on transmissions, suspension, differentials, electrical theory and hell it will even tell you how a tank works. Its a dry read but I still keep a printed copy in my bathroom (it's about 1000 pages) to study because I get some young soldiers that will occasionally ask a far out question.

There's that or you can go to wildaboutcars.com and get the service manuals for your car that will give you the step by step instructions but can be short on the theory.

Watch lots of videos on youtube, read lots of hotrod magazines ask lots of questions here and you'd be surprised what you can learn. It doesn't happen overnight but the more you do it, and the more types of media you absorb the easier it will be to understand how every piece functions.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:33 AM

Wow again...great info guys. I can't wait to get my hands on a 455 short block my brother is hooking me up with....in the meantime the material listed above will be on my download lists this weekend. Cheers fellas!