General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Ignition switch

The 68 Cutlass didn't come with any keys. One of the members here told me how to go about getting the numbers off of the door cylinder and that he could punch new keys, at a more than reasonable cost. He can put his name in here if he likes. My concern is this. The switch is in the "on" position so that the transmission can be shifted. The key hole looks very slightly distorted so I thinking maybe someone may have used something other than the key to turn it. Is there any way to tell if the switch is damaged? I'd hate to get new keys punched just to find out they'd do no good anyhow.
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM

sounds like you need a new lock cylinder. the cylinder is in the dash right? do you know how to pull the cylinder out of the switch?
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:46 PM

ignition switch problems

I probably have NOS ignition lock cylinder as well as NOS key blanks (not later reproduction ones ) as well if you need them.
you can send me a P.M

Gary
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ITS68
My concern is this. The switch is in the "on" position so that the transmission can be shifted.
No, it isn't. The shifter lock with the ignition switch didn't start until the 1969 model year. On your 1968 there is no physical connection between the shifter and the ignition switch.
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM

First of all, what does NOS stand for? Joe, do think the key is worth a try? The face of the cylinder isn't mangled, it just looks like somebody had something in there that wasn't a key. Someone probably thought it had a shifter lock and maybe force it to the on position. Myself, I wouldn't have known any different. Any chance the key would pull out with it in that position?
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ITS68
First of all, what does NOS stand for? Joe, do think the key is worth a try? The face of the cylinder isn't mangled, it just looks like somebody had something in there that wasn't a key. Someone probably thought it had a shifter lock and maybe force it to the on position. Myself, I wouldn't have known any different. Any chance the key would pull out with it in that position?
NOS stands for New Original Stock, in other words the parts that would have come from the dealership parts counter, usually still in original packaging. I've seen worn keys that could be pulled out of the ignition lock in other than the OFF position, but again, that has nothing to do with the shifter on your car. The shifter does not lock.

I can make new keys from the four character code on the lock cylinder (the door lock will have the same code as the ignition). PM me if you are interested.