General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I want to trace the history of my 70 cut

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM

I want to trace the history of my 70 cut

Hey guys im new here but i figured that you could help me,I need to find somewhere that i can trace the history of my car to possibly find the orignal owner and where it was bought from new thanks Josh
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Captain of my ship

trace

you can find out where the car was built from the V.I.N. but as far as finding out where the car was sold and to who I would think you would need to contact GM and they would know who had the original warrenty by the V.I.N. etc. Maybe someone within this site knows who to get in contact with. I know that here in Canada I can get the info from GM Canada for a $50 charge.
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM

I'm not aware of that availability here (but I could be wrong), our privacy laws makes this stuff tough to do. Hwever, I do know some states are more accomodating than others in providing a history of title transfers for a small fee. Check w/ your DMV, try to get to a supervisor or something, otherwise you'll probably just get blown off and here... "NEXT".
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Is there an Olds equivalent to the Pontiac Historical Society (PHS)?
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Captain of my ship

GM

Originally Posted by 4speedBench
I'm not aware of that availability here (but I could be wrong), our privacy laws makes this stuff tough to do. Hwever, I do know some states are more accomodating than others in providing a history of title transfers for a small fee. Check w/ your DMV, try to get to a supervisor or something, otherwise you'll probably just get blown off and here... "NEXT".
You will have to check with GM , I am sure that he could find out where the car was sold , maybe even the dealership. As far as if privacy laws regarding the original warrenty holder on the car I don't know. My car came from Saskatchewan and there they have government insurance. cost a lot less but transfers of ownership I have from 1st owner to 2nd.
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM

70 cut info

thanks guys that does help me alot but your right finding the info on this car is a giant pain but i guess that at least i do know the past 25 years of history on it since its been in my family for that long and i know that before that my father bought it at an auction in pieces for $100 good investment id say but im still curious as to where it came from before that and why it was all taken apart.
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM

my dad did this with a car through the BMV. they traced the history of the title. this was about 6 years ago in indiana.
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by wolfman98
you can find out where the car was built from the V.I.N. but as far as finding out where the car was sold and to who I would think you would need to contact GM and they would know who had the original warrenty by the V.I.N. etc. Maybe someone within this site knows who to get in contact with. I know that here in Canada I can get the info from GM Canada for a $50 charge.
For any car made and or sold in Canada, GM Canada will provide info on exactly how the car originally came. Nothing about previous owners. Yes, traced by VIN number.
There is no such service for US build and sold cars. Those records no longer exist here.

Some states allow a title trace back within the state through the BMV. I don't know which ones do.