General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

i need your guys opinions

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM

i need your guys opinions

Okay so this is the first car i am tryin.g to restore. I put in a new engine tranny all that. Still need to add duals. Want to get a rearend and still need paint and interior. So i have been saving for paint. My friend told me that he thinks I'm doing it all rong. I should take care of the duals, do my rearend any suspension work I want to do. Then body/paint. then interior. I was planing on doing body/paint interior duals and rearend. Now I'm thinking if I should re think this
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Olds Dreamer

Do try and get all mechanical done first. so duals, rear end, paint then interior.
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by alek72us
Do try and get all mechanical done first. so duals, rear end, paint then interior.
So I should use the money I have for paint and get my 3.42 posi and duals then save for pai.t and interior
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Olds Dreamer

some one else will probably chime in. but if ur just doing exhaust and rear end u can probably have them do the paint first. bcause the duals and the rear end shouldn't accidently scratch the paint so u are probably fine going and getting ur paint done.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM
same but different

You can allways paint it later...

I would get that thing running and driving, so you can enjoy it now.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Administrator

I would do what I needed to do to get it roadworthy, safe, and drive it. I've been working on and driving mine for almost 3 years.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Dont know how far you have taken it down but I would get rear end done , make sure I have good brakes, line's, bushings ,tie rods , steering gear ,gas tank, sending unit, wiring , all that stuff to get it running good, tight and true.
then drive it for a summer and shake it down and not worry about crawling over the fenders that were just painted if you have to tune on it JMO.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Dont know how far you have taken it down but I would get rear end done , make sure I have good brakes, line's, bushings ,tie rods , steering gear ,gas tank, sending unit, wiring , all that stuff to get it running good, tight and true.
then drive it for a summer and shake it down and not worry about crawling over the fenders that were just painted if you have to tune on it JMO.
When i stripped the engine bay we inspected everthing. And it all checked out just average replace here and there replaced tranny lines ect. And got the engine and tranny all in nice. Suspension was good otherwise then some ball joints ect that I can tackle. So on my list of things to do was. Exhaust,rearend,qjet rebuilt,interior, paint. It drives good just need to upgrade rearend for more fun and rebuilt and tune my qjet to replace the edelbrock I put on it. So that's why I was going to do paint and interior and upgrade rearend and exhaust when I get money cause its defently road ready with the new engine but the duals and 342 rear I was planning to upgrade as I got money for better breathing and performance. But now that my friend pointed out you don't wanr ro have to worry about messing up the paint I don no what order to do
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:11 AM

So what options do I have to redo my rear end I want posi with 3.24 gears.? Can i find a whole set to swap or should i just rebuild mine? How much would it cost to rebuild?
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:20 AM

Get all the 'under the hood' stuff done first, then the brakes, as brake fluid will eat paint!
Rear end entails brakes - even filling the master is a chance - so do it before paint!
Never seen a exhaust shop damage paint - so that could wait.
By the way - what're we talking about here - older cutlass or what?
That'd help to determine any pricing or parts availability!
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Get all the 'under the hood' stuff done first, then the brakes, as brake fluid will eat paint!
Rear end entails brakes - even filling the master is a chance - so do it before paint!
Never seen a exhaust shop damage paint - so that could wait.
By the way - what're we talking about here - older cutlass or what?
That'd help to determine any pricing or parts availability!
It's a 77 cutlass supreme
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:39 AM

Lets be realistic here......

How much money do you think you're going to invest into a 1977 Cutlass ??
There's going to be a line you draw before you waste too much you'll NEVER get back.

Draw that line first, then figure it out.
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:41 AM

I'm not familiar with that [73-77] body style, so I don't know what'll fit.
You might put an add in 'parts wanted' and see what comes up.
You could install drum to drum yourself, but you need special tools and guages to rebuild yours, or pay someone else to do it.
If you put your location in your avitar, someone close might have all you need!
Good luck with your first car!
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:59 AM

[QUOTE=Aceshigh;349920]Lets be realistic here......

How much money do you think you're going to invest into a 1977 Cutlass ??
There's going to be a line you draw before you waste too much you'll NEVER get back.

Honestly the 77 are of of my favorite oldsmobile bodys, i love them. But that thought has ran across my mind. I no the 77 is a dog and even with alot of upgrades the weight holds it back. But they are so bueatiful. That why it came across my mind as i should just finish my duals, paint and body and be done with it. And have a nice cruiser cause my real car I want to build really bad is a 84 cutlass with a ls1 or lq4. That why I was thinking of keeping my gears and use it for a good crusier just finish my paint and interior by March how i planned. decisions are way to hard
Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM

Get anything that involves a wrench (mechanical work) done before interior and paint work.