General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

i need a new carb

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2011, 02:37 AM

i need a new carb

my uncle is telling me to get a edlebrock 750. what do you guys recommend for a 72 cutlass 350? anyone recommend a online store?
Old December 26th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What's wrong with the QuadraJet that's on there?

- Eric
Old December 26th, 2011, 05:33 AM

unless the throttle blade shafts are leaking, you're better ott rebuilding
Old December 26th, 2011, 05:56 AM

I would say go with the 600 edelbrock if I was going to swap it out. #14064 . I ran a 750 on a mild 400 pontiac and it was a tad big I did get it to run ok with a re calibration kit. I have a performer rpm on it with 2:56 gears so it is not the best for off idle power . what intake do you have?

Last edited by firefrost gold; December 26th, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:12 AM
delete

Need more info on what you have & what you want to accomplish.
Old December 26th, 2011, 01:17 PM

the quadrajet is gone. i bought it and it has a 4 barrel holley #6497. the car had been sitting since 1987 and the gas in the floats has turned to varnish. i can get it to run but only at a super high idle. the intake manifold is stock. i just want to make it a daily driver with some zoom. i guess i could try to rebuild it but the car guy i know with a gto said get a new one.
Old December 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM

IMHO the edelbrock/carter afb power circuits have some advantages over holleys. But I've had better experiences tuning Holleys with modified motors. I think you'll be fine either way, but since you've already got the holley, why not spend $50 for everything to rebuild it. Even if it doesn't work, it's about the cheapest thing you're going to do on that car.
Old December 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1.

Even if you just clean the carb and don't replace any parts (ie: you spend the price of a can of GumOut), it'll probably run 100% better, AND you'll have learned something.

Worst case, it's not fixable or you screw it up, and then you get a new one.

Best case, it runs better, and you take it off again later and do a proper rebuild and tuning after you know more and have more confidence.

And never listen to GTO guys .

- Eric
Old December 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM

Eric he didn't ask about a q jet he asked about a Edelbrock now that we know he has a stock intake and a holley spread bore carb More info can be given to his question not your opinion If you go with the Edelbrock you would have to get a new intake too one that would bolt up the Edelbrock carb or a adaptor plate to make it work. Have you tryed to run some sea foam threw it or other
carb cleaners you will have to take the carb down to get to the jets and fuel passages to clean them right You cant just spray it in the throat of the carb and get any real benefit and its a lemans not a gto
Old December 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
... now that we know he has a stock intake and a holley spread bore carb More info can be given to his question not your opinion...
Sorry, but I LIKE my opinion .

I don't care if he's got a stinking MonoJet, he needs to take it apart and clean the gunk out if it before he can make an educated decision about whether to buy a new carb.
Holleys are easy to take apart.

I won't recommend replacing any part just because it's dirty.

- Eric
Old December 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Were are you located If your uncle is the one with the tools and space to do the work and is dead set on replacement There might be some one on here that is close that would help out. You will need some carb cleaner I like the big can that you can soak it in over night or at-least a few hours and the spry kind. A rubber tipped air nozzle to blow things out and off ,good screw drivers of a few sizes ,small punch and hammer awl . If you google it you should find some good info to help out .

Last edited by firefrost gold; December 27th, 2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:40 AM

I'm with Eric, as the orignal question is best carb for the application. Answer, a well tuned Q-Jet, as will pretty much spank anything. These carbs get a bad rapp, as difficult to set up, but well worth the trouble. Edelbrock carbs used to be Q-Jet designs, but are now Carter AFB's. Who knows why, but probably a cost thing.
Old December 27th, 2011, 09:18 AM
The Rocket Astronomer

I have a correct 72 rochester core for rebuild. believe me and others; its the way to go- regardless of stock or whatever you want to accomplish, for the street anyway. Jet it for your application and go. pm me if your interested.