General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I cant find rear wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2018, 06:57 AM

I cant find rear wheel bearings

I have been trying to find rear wheel bearings for my 67 Vista Cruiser. I have tried Auto Zone, O'Reillys, Advance, Napa, Randy's Ring and Pinion, Amazon, and E-bay. They all list one but they don't fit. I have purchased several expensive bearings that are supposed to fit but don't. I have to return several today. I even broke one of them trying to press it on the axle (that was scary). The problem is most websites don't list the dimensions of the bearings. So, I am at the point of building a 66 Chevelle rear end to put in the car, as far as I know it will bolt right in and parts are available anywhere for the Chevelle rear.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:09 AM

Try Supercars Unlimited. Also double check to make sure you are ordering the correct parts for the rear end you actually have.

Don W
Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:13 AM

I Just checked Moog's website and they don't list a rear wheel bearing for a '67 Vista Cruiser. Strange.
I'm sure someone will chime in with a part number to cross reference.

https://www.moogparts.com/find-my-pa...ista%20Cruiser
Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Those bearings are unique to the Vista and Buick SportWagon. Given how few of those are still on the road, mainstream suppliers don't offer replacements any more. Don't waste your time with auto parts stores or traditional on-line suppliers. Olds specialty vedors, rear axle specialty vendors, or N.O.S. parts on ebay are your only options.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Those bearings are unique to the Vista and Buick SportWagon. Given how few of those are still on the road, mainstream suppliers don't offer replacements any more. Don't waste your time with auto parts stores or traditional on-line suppliers. Olds specialty vedors, rear axle specialty vendors, or N.O.S. parts on ebay are your only options.
Thanks Joe, I was hoping you would chime in. I have tried every option that I could find with no luck. I think Its time to build that Chevelle rear.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 05:47 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Try BDI.Inc (Bearing Distributors Incorporated) See if they can cross ref the numbers. If no then the next step is to give them the ID, OD, thickness and bearing type. Something may exist that may not say 67 Vista wagon, but that bearing or one which will work may exist. I've retrofit parts before that were obsolete it just requires some creative thinking some speedy sleeves and/or some minor machining. Be nice to find a modern part. The 68-69 Os are next for obsolescence. If you do find something pass it along.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 06:22 PM

Seems like Motion Industries (or a similar place) could get bearings if you can find a bearing # on the old bearing. You may find that particular bearing was used on a completely different piece of equipment such as a conveyor or fork lift or whatever. I have bought bearings for lots of things thru Motion that I couldn't find elsewhere. Usually cheaper too.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 06:36 PM

bearing source

If you can provide dimensions, there are likely some to be had from drive train and bearing specialty distributors. Whisler here in Denver has found me some odd motorcycle bearings that NO ONE else could provide. https://www.trywhisler.com/ Give them a shout. Good luck!
Old October 22nd, 2018, 06:54 PM

the gm number is 393473, from what I can find that crosses to a rw507gr
RW507GR is I.D. 1.4368"; O.D. 2.89", W .70"
two on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...507gr&_sacat=0
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by nicks1966
the gm number is 393473, from what I can find that crosses to a rw507gr
RW507GR is I.D. 1.4368"; O.D. 2.89", W .70"
two on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...507gr&_sacat=0
Thanks, those might actually work but they don't come with the lock ring, I also need that. One of mine is chewed in pieces.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:51 AM

Try Olcar Bearing Co.