General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I almost cried..

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM

I almost cried..

We had this come into the shop last friday. It's an 86 sitting on 28" wheels. Driver complained of a trans leak.. we found the driveshaft angle was a bit steep causing the yoke to chew itself to death and take the trans bushing with it.

100_3787.jpg
100_3789.jpg
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Justin

Lol that's so sad nurf bars on a car I really don't understand this type of build I know we all do some odd things in are youth but this is just nuts
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That, my friend is an 87 or early 88 CS. Why would anyone do that to the end of an era? Heck, why would anyone do that to start with?

What was this guy thinking? Fancy John Deere tractor for the plantation??
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:38 PM

Thats fugly. Shoulda just built a monster truck with it instead. BTW, that should be an 87 since the 86s still had sealed beam headlights.
Not surprised on the failure.
On the bright side, you would not need to put it on a lift!
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
That, my friend is an 87 or early 88 CS. Why would anyone do that to the end of an era? Heck, why would anyone do that to start with?

What was this guy thinking? Fancy John Deere tractor for the plantation??

Nah, it's an 86.. somebody swapped out the header panel. It's actually a very clean car. The brotha that owns it is in his 40's i think..he's actually a decent guy that grew up around cars. Theres plans to build a 455 for it in the near future so it'll be sorta cool For the record, it needs the nerf bars.. I stand 6'03" and I can rest my chin on the top of the door. He also has a 79 Malibu that sits on 24's and is painted up like a box of Newports.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:02 PM

And we can all guess what he does for a 'living'.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

omg.............................. face palm.

while it's here..... why didnt they lift the actual car with the suspension? why's it have no ground clearance? if it's gonna be that high up make it useful at least......
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:00 AM
Hangin' out...

Ugh. I threw up in my mouth a little.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:28 AM
Oldsdruid

That's the trouble with these SFBs. In their quest for hood cred, they don't know or care what those mods are doing to the suspension and drivetrain.

If I live as long as Methuselah, I will never understand the mindset that does this to a vehicle.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:53 AM

I was looking into buying a 84 monte carlo SS with T-Tops. I found one that looked very nice but had been lifted for 28's yeah I said eights (8's) the car was beutiful inside and out. The owner had removed the rims and had the stock wheels on it.

The under side on the car had been destroyed. They literally cut the frame and beat it in with a sledge hammer and then re-welded it for the tire width. The frame was half the original width the entire length of the inner wheel housing opening. The inner fenders were also cut and beat in and had some sheet metal welded in to cover the hole. It was just tacked in not supporting anything. The rear springs had 2 sets of coils with a steel pipe on the inside about 6 inches long and the spring were welded to this and each other and looked like hell. The shock mounts were extended with bar stock and a gusset and had wire hanging from all over from the poor weld job. I thought it was something that I could just put back stock but after looking at what was done I laughed and siad no thanks.

This car was basically totaled and needed a new frame. He was asking $7,500 and it had 55K original miles on it and he had the paper work to prove it. He only owned the car for 3 months. He text me to tell me he sold it about a week later (like I cared). ASomeone actually bought this death trap. one thing is certain The more that are destroyed the fewer there will be... making the value go up in about 20-30 more years. LOL

So sad they have to be destroyed like that.

Last edited by 1970 Post; July 23rd, 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:13 AM

To each his own, I see this kind of stuff almost every day here in Phoenix does not bother me at all.

I recall my dad bitchin at me my junior year 1974 after I put Hi-jackers, L-60's, chrome reverse wheels, cherry bombs put a Hurst floor shifter in and painted the hood flat black on my 66 Impala plus a few speed shop decals on the 1/4 glass just too make sure.

My dad said I ruined a perfectly good car and that rear bumper stickin up in the air looked like a stink bug. He just shook his head and grumbled some stuff like "aint no way that is my kid, his mom must have been messing around with the milkman"
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:22 AM

Yes but those type of changes can be easily taken back to original.with out changing the frame!!!! I agree it's your car do what you want but man don't destroy the integrity of the car. there has to be a better way to do this and not hack it all up.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by a64olz
To each his own, I see this kind of stuff almost every day here ... does not bother me at all. ...
x2
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Cutlass Lover

Saw one like that going through Ravenna Saturday. I asked my sister, Why is it always the Oldsmobile?? What a shame they do that to these cars.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Administrator

To each his own, I see this kind of stuff almost every day here in Phoenix does not bother me at all.

I recall my dad bitchin at me my junior year 1974 after I put Hi-jackers, L-60's, chrome reverse wheels, cherry bombs put a Hurst floor shifter in and painted the hood flat black on my 66 Impala plus a few speed shop decals on the 1/4 glass just too make sure.

My dad said I ruined a perfectly good car and that rear bumper stickin up in the air looked like a stink bug. He just shook his head and grumbled some stuff like "aint no way that is my kid, his mom must have been messing around with the milkman"
x3
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM

Nobody notices that is has Nerf bars? Lol!

You are supposed to buy rims to fit the car, not make the car fit the rims. Funny that it tore up the tranny!

I've had so many peeps tell me that I NEED or HAVE TO jack the delta up and put big wheels on it. I did just buy 20's for it, but the wheels are the same weight as what's on there now (actually 2 lbs lighter) but the car will not be jacked up, and look like ***
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Saw one like that going through Ravenna Saturday. I asked my sister, Why is it always the Oldsmobile?? What a shame they do that to these cars.
It's not just Olds Sandy - the following for Donks is wide spread amongst all the brands

Not even BMW is immune
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:30 PM

No comment.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I keep coming back to "WHY"

Larry
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:51 PM

Allan, the BMW is photoshopped...

But the others...OMG!

Just a little perspective...don't hate me. When a guy chops up an 80's cruiser to make a donk everyone shrieks, but when a racer chops up a 60's or 70's muscle car to make a drag car out of it no one seems to notice. What gives?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:51 PM

It's not just Olds Sandy - the following for Donks is wide spread amongst all the brands
IMO, this has to be the dumbest fad next to the droopy-drawers. I hope they both pass fast! This makes the lowered mini trucks with wide rims from the 80's look 'cool'....
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's funny how regional this crap is.

I've never seen one of these in my life (and I notice every rear bumper sticking out of every barn I pass), except in forums like these.

- Eric
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM

The best looking tractors I've ever seen. I don't see the plow attachment from the picture angle nor do I see the takeoff for the other stuff must be hidden under the bumper. Uncle Ellwood would like one of these for plowing the lower 40
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, you'd need some ***** on those tires so as not to dig in and get stuck.

I've gotta assume that those tires are full of calcium chloride for traction, though...

- Eric
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Allan, the BMW is photoshopped...

But the others...OMG!

Just a little perspective...don't hate me. When a guy chops up an 80's cruiser to make a donk everyone shrieks, but when a racer chops up a 60's or 70's muscle car to make a drag car out of it no one seems to notice. What gives?
Photoshopped? Well I'll be. Still....I bet there's a beemer, Merchedes, Porch, or Jag out there that someone sees as a potential target. It doesn't matter if it's an 80's 70's 60's etc that got donked; IMO, the only people in the world that really like them are donk a holics.

Steve, I don't think ANY of the brand loyalties have opposition to seeing one of their brand modified to race and take a title. Ya know - bragging rights proving Olds or whoever was king of the castle that day/night. Kind of like an expected tradition that's been handed down from the early days of ratrod. 50's made it more cool, movies made it wicked. I think we all notice, but have pride in a racing machine vs a 'thing' that really uh, help me I'm stuck for words to describe what those donks are really good for....Oh yeah, keeping big wheel/tire shops from going Tango Uniform.

You think for a second that any of us are going to get our shorts in a knot because you like to race your CS?? Not in a zillion years. Hell, I was tickled pink when you posted that race link. You keep on racing that car till you're tired of it, then do another. That's how it goes. Besides, there's nothing you've done to that car that can't be restored if someone wants to do that. You're worrying about nothing bud.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
A When a guy chops up an 80's cruiser to make a donk everyone shrieks, but when a racer chops up a 60's or 70's muscle car to make a drag car out of it no one seems to notice. What gives?
Racing is part of the car's historic heritage. Also easier to restore later and will always look presentable - timeless looks. Besides there will always be a market for those who want race ready cars.

Donk? Very limited market and the chassis is usually shot, beat up, and destroyed in the process of creating something that is tasteful to tiny amount of people. Besides they look hideous and the fad will be gone soon, sending these cars to the scrap yard as they would cost too much to restore into normal cars or even race cars.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

lmao @ those pics............i should have just went out on the town tonight everyone around here has **** on 24's or 26's ..... a escalade on 30's....... these are like little monster trucks lol............... lookin like *** sitting on top of the wheels though...... make the car fit the wheels pl0x!
Old July 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I keep coming back to "WHY"

Larry
An attention getter? Same with stereo's that can't play anything except base. I bet the oil changes are easy.
Old July 25th, 2012, 07:33 PM

I laugh when I see the size of their wheels posted on their car somewhere. I saw one with 26" on the rear and thought, my lawnmower has a labling like that, too!
Geez...
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It's funny how regional this crap is.

I've never seen one of these in my life (and I notice every rear bumper sticking out of every barn I pass), except in forums like these.

- Eric
X2-I have never seen anything like these cars. The closest was a Hummer jacked Talk about ruining a classic car IMO...
Ted
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:18 PM

I don't see them in Houston either...but ironically when I was stationed at Ft. Rucker Alabama I saw them there in the local area. You would think that the UCLA (Ugly Corner of Lower Alabama) in the Dothan area would discourage such vehicles but it didn't.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:47 PM

You guys are crazy! he could ghost ride the whip and dance under his own car! Maybe raising his car is like raising his self esteem. Maybe those rims are like four 28 inch hugs that make his heart go...............right to your shop to fix the chewed up seal and bearing because they may be hugging him but they are making his transmission cry.

You'd be surprised how many of these are in California mostly in the cities though thank god I'm in the military because this state has eliminated any post near a city so I don't have to see them anymore!
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Uhhhhh, how do you get in them? Just thought I would ask
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:02 AM

From the school of "if some is good, more is better and a huge *%# pile must be fantastic".
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

most guys with really big wheels (26's and up) use a little 2ft step ladder or add nerf bars as shown in the picture up top!
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:57 AM

I saw one of these at the my college (insert your young person comments here) It was being towed because the driver side upper front suspension snapped. All the while i was thinking "what did you think was going to happen"

these are very common in my neck of the woods especially in the white center/burien area and in Tacoma.

I was driving in my neighborhood one day and saw what i believe was an 84 Buick on a truck frame and mud bogger tires. it was all rusty and beat up looking (including the frame) and raised up about 1.5-2 feet. needless to say i just about crashed my ford laughing at it.

This is something i just dont understand. I get the idea of lowriders and enjoy seeing a modified impala and obviously i enjoy seeing hot rods and lead sleds but this new fad looks terrible. honestly i'd save the money if i were them and buy a better car or do just about any other modification than that

if i did that to my olds i would want one of you to shoot me

Last edited by nightmare; July 27th, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Angry

Someone should have checked his head for a brain leak. What a shame.
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:22 AM

I guess these guys didn't have a big wheel toy growing up. Talking about messing up a classic. Also I bet all of them have had to replace the 1st gear in their automatic. Help them out and tell them to put a lower gear ratio in their rearend.
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:27 AM
delete

Photoshopped? Well I'll be. Still....I bet there's a beemer, Merchedes, Porch, or Jag out there that someone sees as a potential target.
I think you see so many G-Bodies and full sizers because they are sp easy to do with body on frame construction & solid rear axles and they are cheap to start with. Any kind of unit body or independent rear suspension would be a much bigger bitch to do.
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:33 AM
NOVICE car nut

Thanks guys ! I get back from vacation and the first thread I get to see is this ?

Quick Reply: I almost cried..