General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How many where built ?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:33 PM

So no M20 with the 350-2?

Interesting!
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Well Diego, in this case it would certainly be rarer because it would be one of none!
If it is an original floor shift SC, it has to be an M20 wide ratio 4-speed. That was the only floor shift option in '72 (even with the W30), and it mandated the 4-bbl 350 or a 455. Standard was still the ol' three-on-the-tree.
i thought we went through this a year ago, lol. we had determined you could get 3 on the floor in 72. i had explained i had on documentation to prove it but a friend had one that was original. someone backed it up but i would not be able to find the thread.
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:30 AM

Hmm . . . .
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i thought we went through this a year ago, lol. we had determined you could get 3 on the floor in 72. i had explained i had on documentation to prove it but a friend had one that was original. someone backed it up but i would not be able to find the thread.
Maybe someone went through this before, but that "we" wouldn't have included me!
And I verified this info front to back. Meaning it was not available, and didn't show up in the production records.

1971 was the last year for the M14 Heavy Duty 3-speed floor shift manual (the only floor shift 3-speed ever available). And in '70 and and '71, it was a GM trans, not the Ford Toploader used from '65 - '69.
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:04 AM

Kurt, what are these production records you speak of?

FWIW, I looked at the specs I have and it indeed shows M20 as not being available with the 350-2. I also don't see a floor-shifted 3-speed option. However, factory literature is not cast in stone, so I'll wait and see what happens here. :-)
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
Kurt, what are these production records you speak of?

FWIW, I looked at the specs I have and it indeed shows M20 as not being available with the 350-2. I also don't see a floor-shifted 3-speed option. However, factory literature is not cast in stone, so I'll wait and see what happens here. :-)
The production records I'm referring to (the "back" side of the evidence) I got from one of my research visits to the GM Heritage Center. These records are very limited, but still provide some interesting info (like in this case). The particular one I refer to is an IMB tractor paper printout of ROP options by month, by series. Unfortunately, the last month there is June, so July is missing.
Anyway, there is no 3-speed manual there.
There is no doubt in my mind about this.
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:33 AM

I need to visit the place. Is it the one in Warren?
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
I need to visit the place. Is it the one in Warren?
Sterling Hts.
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:10 PM

Maybe someone went through this before, but that "we" wouldn't have included me!
And I verified this info front to back. Meaning it was not available, and didn't show up in the production records.

1971 was the last year for the M14 Heavy Duty 3-speed floor shift manual (the only floor shift 3-speed ever available). And in '70 and and '71, it was a GM trans, not the Ford Toploader used from '65 - '69.
i found it.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ual-floor.html

again, i have no proof but i seen with my own eyes an original 72 3 sp floor shift car. with a Hurst shift lever, i do not know if the shifter was a Hurst but the lever was. i am not trying to be a problem but i know it is possible.
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
JR, thank you, thank you, thank you! Boy did I ever #$^$ up! Not only did I not remember, I stumbled over it again just like I did back then. There's my myopic vision. I missed it because I was looking in the wrong place.
Please accept my apologies and let me correct myself.

Yes, '71 *was* the last year for the M14 Heavy Duty 3-speed manual trans with the Hurst floor shifter.
However in '72 they continued to offer the floor shifter, but only with the same regular 3-speed manual trans as the column shifts got. So it was not given a "Mxx" RPO code as it was only a shifter change, not a transmission change. I thus missed the W39 RPO code given to it. Missed it in the "front" and the "back". I didn't have the production figures then that I do now, and I can now add that there were approx 475 3-speed floor shifters that made it into Cutlass S series cars, and that would include ones also 442 optioned.
And Diego, following your line of thinking, that is about 25% of the number of 4-speeds in the same series.

I promise not to forget *that* again!!

Last edited by wmachine; May 27th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM

Please accept my apologies
not a problem at all. i am still beating myself up over the 455 oil return i severely goofed up on a while back, on another thread.