General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How many remain?

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2021, 06:30 PM

How many remain?

So it's been discussed here several times about the actual production numbers for 1972 U code Cutlii, but I haven't seen any discussion about how many are still in existence. Does anyone have that info?
Old November 25th, 2021, 08:56 PM

There really is no way of knowing how many remain, but I would be surprised if even half of them remain.
Old November 26th, 2021, 04:01 AM

A search of the NMVTIS would tell you how many are currently registered, but it would miss a lot that have not been on the road for a long time.

Last edited by Tri-Carb; November 26th, 2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old November 26th, 2021, 05:57 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by 72442conv
...I would be surprised if even half of them remain.
I would as well.

A while ago, Hagerty stated that at 20 years from production date, only 1/2% of the original remain.

Now, that figure must have been for the average (boring) car. Further, it may have been about how many are still registered--as opposed to how many remain in existence.

A 455 Cutlass is not your average car, so it would not be scrapped at nearly the average rate. But it is now 50 years from its production date. As a pure guess, I would say 10% remain.

But when it comes to a truly boring car like my station wagon, the numbers would be far less. I refer you to an early scene in the movie Vacation.

Old November 26th, 2021, 06:12 AM
72 Olds CS

Hi Gary thats an appropo picture as its a 72 as well.

ill add that maybe the U code cutlass falls somewhere between average and above average on the boring car scale. The 442 although neutered for 72 was probably a more popular cutlass variant even w a 350.

I think that maybe there could be more 455 cutlasses today than produced in 72. I know i have a K code 455
Old November 26th, 2021, 06:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is no possible way to know how many of a given car are left, period. Any registry only lists cars that the owners have bothered to register. As noted, any DMV info only applies to cars that are currently in the system. People lose a lot of sleep over this for no good reason.

As for historical data for cars built in the 1960s and 70s, ON AVERAGE, at 20 years out from the production date, between 0.5% and 1% of cars still exist. Obviously more desirable cars are more likely to survive than more-doors and transportation appliances, and the data is a fleet average. For example, at least 150% of all W30s built by Olds still survive.
Old November 26th, 2021, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There is no possible way to know how many of a given car are left, period. Any registry only lists cars that the owners have bothered to register. As noted, any DMV info only applies to cars that are currently in the system. People lose a lot of sleep over this for no good reason.

As for historical data for cars built in the 1960s and 70s, ON AVERAGE, at 20 years out from the production date, between 0.5% and 1% of cars still exist. Obviously more desirable cars are more likely to survive than more-doors and transportation appliances, and the data is a fleet average. For example, at least 150% of all W30s built by Olds still survive.
Hilarious but true on your W30 comment.. I sure did miss a great MCACN, many validated 66-67 W cars in attendance.. I know of two 66W30 cars in existence, one overseas and one thats had a lot of work done, bit so much more to go..He is an older guy, not great health, hate to say it but I doubt the car will ever see the finish line..However its his dream, ya can’t take that away from a man, he has to give it away.
Old November 26th, 2021, 08:28 AM

I think the H/OCA is gunning hard to get 10% of the total 72 H/O's there for next year's meet. The glove was thrown by the 69s, but the 72s don't need as many to catch them percentage wise.

I think that, barring accident, the old cars are surviving. I know if I take my old van and restore it, it may live on for quite some time even after I sell it as it made it past the 'junk it' bar.
Old November 26th, 2021, 08:51 AM

There is no possible way to know how many of a given car are left, period. Any registry only lists cars that the owners have bothered to register.
Exactly what I was thinking.
How many owners even know such a registry exists?
Did the OP register his car on one of those sites?

For example, at least 150% of all W30s built by Olds still survive.
Now that is funny, sad, and accurate.
Old November 26th, 2021, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Exactly what I was thinking.
How many owners even know such a registry exists?
Did the OP register his car on one of those sites?
Nope...I didn't
Old November 26th, 2021, 09:01 AM
Running On Empty

...at least 150% of all w30s built by olds still survive.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old November 26th, 2021, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I think that maybe there could be more 455 cutlasses today than produced in 72. I know i have a K code 455
Well that was what hot rodders did once these cars became “used cars”. Swapping in a 455 was the easiest, cheapest way to increase performance.
Old November 26th, 2021, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VC455
I would as well.

A while ago, Hagerty stated that at 20 years from production date, only 1/2% of the original remain.

Now, that figure must have been for the average (boring) car. Further, it may have been about how many are still registered--as opposed to how many remain in existence.

A 455 Cutlass is not your average car, so it would not be scrapped at nearly the average rate. But it is now 50 years from its production date. As a pure guess, I would say 10% remain.

But when it comes to a truly boring car like my station wagon, the numbers would be far less. I refer you to an early scene in the movie Vacation.
Funny thing with that Vista Cruiser in the movie Vacation. They drove in in a 70. Then the crushed car was a 72.

For example, at least 150% of all W30s built by Olds still survive.
That is so funny. So true.
Old November 26th, 2021, 09:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 1/2% at 20 years number comes from NHTSA fleet data. That is the AVERAGE survival rate for ALL cars built that model year. Obviously a desirable model is more likely to survive than a boring one. On the other hand, the total number of muscle cars produced in a given model year is such a small percentage of the total production that even high survival rates don't change the fleet average.
Old November 26th, 2021, 09:50 AM

Another point to consider about survival rates: Insurance was expensive in the 60's and 70's on these cars for a reason. Many were totaled by their new inexperienced owners because they were "special". The insurance companies figured out pretty quick that a bigger engine and more horsepower meant a bigger chance of the car being wrapped around a tree by its new owner. This is why it was not uncommon for insurance premiums to be higher than car payments. Also one of the reasons car manufacturers started playing games with advertised horse power and torque numbers. The point is, just because the car wasn't the "boring model" does not mean it had a greater chance of survival.
Old November 26th, 2021, 11:36 AM

Also remember that before these were classic collectible cars, they were new cars, then used cars, and then some became really, really used cars. At 10+ years old, many had 100,000 miles on the odometer and were rusting out.

I remember all the crap I endured from family and friends about my 20 year old car. Folks were continually telling me to get rid of that old clunker and buy a newer car.

Last edited by Fun71; November 26th, 2021 at 11:40 AM.