General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How hard to find Olds parts

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:55 AM

How hard to find Olds parts

Hi everyone. I'm new to Olds. I'm interested in buying a 60' Olds Coupe 98. Can anyone tell me how easy or hard it is finding parts? I live in Malta (Europe) so it's already a problem not finding parts here and I don't want to end up not finding parts overseas either !!! Can someone suggest any web pages of someone who sells any parts please?

Thanks,

Karol
Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. This is a question only you can answer. Most mechanical parts here in the states are not that hard to find. Body and trim are not reproduced. I would think in Malta there would be a limited amount of these cars available as donors.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As far as web sites, for a '60, Fusick is going to be your main supplier.

You will be able to find a lot of normal mechanical parts on RockAuto.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:20 AM

The hardest parts to find would be body and trim. Is the car in Malta already or is it in the States?

Here is another supplier based in the States:

https://www.kanter.com/

Eric posted Fusick before I could.

Last edited by Olds64; May 2nd, 2017 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Oops!
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:25 AM

Thanks oldcutlass. I am sure parts in Malta are for sure not available. I meant whether parts in the states for 60' Olds 98 are available. My father have a 65' Mustang and a '58 Chevy Impala. He don't find any parts here but can get everything he needs from the states. Are there any specific parts which are hard to find even in the states? Can you suggest any web page where I can check please?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:42 AM

Here's another supplier you can go to for mechanical parts.

https://egge.com/
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:47 AM

Hi Old64. The car is still in the States. I didn't buy it yet but almost coming to a deal. I just wanted to know about the parts first. What if I will need any parts in the future? Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:48 AM

Thanks !!!
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:50 AM

Thanks MDchanic. It seems that body parts and trim will be the problem. The car doesn't need any of this at the moment but what will happen if I have an accident and will need to replace a body part or trim?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:52 AM

I believe members on our site have ordered parts internationally from Fusick and Kanter. I'm not sure about Egge though.

I suggest you ask for advice about purchasing the car. Either start another thread and provide a link or post it here. I've seen some nice 1960 Olds 98s that would make a good cruiser, even for someone in Europe. Then again, I've seen some that would be a daunting project for someone in the States.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:01 AM

Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

That's a beautiful car.

Even here in the US, the full size Oldsmobiles are not well supported. Never mind body and trim parts (which are non-existent). Even normal wear items like brake, suspension, and steering parts are hard to get. Many items like steering center like and brake drums just aren't made anymore, due to the very limited market for restoring these cars. The Oldsmobile full size cars of this vintage use completely different frame, suspension, and steering from the same year Chevy full size, so while Chevy parts are plentiful, Olds parts are not. This is not intended to discourage you, but simply to inform you. Expect to search for a while and pay dearly for some of these hard-to-get parts.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Even normal wear items like brake, suspension, and steering parts are hard to get. Many items like steering center like and brake drums just aren't made anymore, due to the very limited market for restoring these cars.
Joe, I browsed for some of these parts for a 1960 Olds 98. I did find suspension parts through Kanter and brake hardware and shoes through Fusick. Unfortunately I didn't find brake drums. Just wondering if you know of any part number discrepancies the OP would need to know about? Would the parts listed through Kanter and Fusick work?

BTW, that looks like a pretty solid 1960 98, I love the styling.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:31 AM

Thanks for your reply. We are buying the car just for collection. I don't think we will be needing parts like brake drums etc.. We want to make sure that we find parts which are most commonly replaced frequently like wheel cylinders, brake pads,water pump.fuel pump etc. Seems like Kanter have these parts.

Last edited by nakis68; May 2nd, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

In many cases, the Kanter parts are Chinesium and don't match original. For example, their 11x2 brake drums are China-made late model drums that are modified to fit these early cars. They are functional but in no way do they look like the originals. In other cases, Kanter just resells items like the Rare Parts steering linkage. You can usually buy those directly from the manufacturer for less.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:42 AM

Joe - There appears to be a similarity with a 60 Pontiac. Any chance some mechanical parts would interchange? Mind you, 60 Pontiac parts may not be plentiful either.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
In many cases, the Kanter parts are Chinesium and don't match original.
Good point. I know I had problems getting good parts when I ordered suspension parts for my 64 98 years ago. While I got good customer service and a decent price from the supplier, I probably would have been better off ordering the parts individually. Even if I would have spent some more money.

I suppose the point is that cars like a 1971 Chevy Camaro are well supported while a car like this 1960 Olds 98 is going to be a challenge to own. Even if you just plan on storing it in a collection and driving it occasionally.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Joe - There appears to be a similarity with a 60 Pontiac. Any chance some mechanical parts would interchange? Mind you, 60 Pontiac parts may not be plentiful either.
I believe only Buick and Olds full size from that vintage share parts - and Buick parts are equally unavailable.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:51 AM
Administrator

On a side note, the car your buying doesn't seem to need anything major, its very nice. Although it may take some extra effort I don't think most parts you'll need mechanically will be a big issue.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Ebay becomes your evil friend. My 54 originally came off ebay and lots of the parts have. I am still not a fan of ebay.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:10 PM

Thanks to all, I really appreciate. I don't know what to do. I really loved the car but I suppose I'm loosing interest. I don't want to get into problems not finding the correct basic mechanical parts. The seller assured me there is nothing I have to do on the car.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:18 PM

Whether you buy this Olds or not I suggest you have an auto appraiser evaluate any car your interested in. Especially since you have to ship it overseas.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:22 PM

When you say 'from the manufacturer' where can I find them?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:27 PM

Olds64 You mean a third party inspecting the car?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:52 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't think there is any way you will get an accurate appraisal on this car. Appraisals are based on what cars are selling for. There are not enough of these cars out there to develop and accurate base for selling prices. An inspector could give you an idea of the condition and if there is any rust hiding anywhere. It looks like a very nice car.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:29 PM

Do you suggest someone to do an appraisal? Car is in Arizona.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:10 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Some of the guys in the Phoenix area will probably speak up.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:27 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by nakis68
NICE CAR

Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:04 AM

Found some parts at Summit : https://www.summitracing.com/
I think that most common parts which might be normally needed are not that hard to find. As you can see the car doesn't need any body ore trim replacements. Everything works on the car as you can see here
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nakis68
Found some parts at Summit : https://www.summitracing.com/
Don't be surprised when you find out that the Summit online catalog is full of errors when it comes to Oldsmobile part applications.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:19 AM

There are 3 things that I saw that I would want confirmed that they are working, because in the video, it is questionable. They shouldn't be the deal breakers, but something to be aware of.
1) Right side door window going all the way up, and then down.
2) Right side quarter window going all the way up, and then down.
3) Antenna doesn't fully retract into the fender.

Another item that will need to be serviced, is the radio. The volume isn't clean and clear, like it should be, but that might be because it is in a garage, or it may be that the radio needs to be serviced. He pushed the heater and defroster buttons, but there is no indication that they are working properly. As I said, none of these should be deal breakers, but they will require time and money to correct. When a seller doesn't disclose flaws that are obvious, then I wonder what other flaws are they also hiding from the prospective buyer. If you are seriously considering this car, try to find a local Olds gearhead to check the car out mechanically first, and then if you like what you learn, then pay for a comprehensive professional physical examination of the car. Many times, an experienced Olds collector will be aware of the more obscure problems, that a particular model might have, that a professional might not be aware of.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:03 AM

Thanks ! Yes I have noticed about the windows and asked the seller about it. He said that he made a quick video so he didn't bother about the windows going all the way up and down. I can ask him to take another video. I didn't notice the antenna not going all the way down, thanks ! I will ask about the radio as well. He said that the blower fan didn't work but he said he can fix that.
As you can understand I'm worried about buying a car which I can't see in person. On the other hand I don't have any contacts of someone who is experienced on Olds who can do an inspection on the car. Don't know how much they charge either. Till now I am relying on the seller since he is sending every picture I am asking for. But I would consider an inspection if anyone can suggest someone who do this job. Thanks !!!
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:06 AM

I have gone to the sellers website, and looked at all of the pictures. I have identified some items to look at more closely, that stand out to me.
1) sun visors were recovered, and the stitching is not correct, and they were poorly done in my opinion.
2) right side door panel has wrinkles in it, but to be expected for its age.
3) right side kick panel not installed properly, and looks like it might be damaged. Additional pictures required to know for certain.
4) the welting around the drivers door looks questionable. Would need better picture of the top of the welting at the glass line to determine.
5) there are a couple of cracks in the steering wheel. To be expected in a 57 year old car, but for that amount of money, it should have been repaired. Can cost as much as $350 - $500 to have it repaired.
6) What is the wire hanging down under the dash to the right side of the steering column?
7) Vacuum line off of the vacuum dash pot on the heater control on the right side heater box, under the hood. That means to me that the vacuum controls of the heater are not working. Very expensive, because when vacuum lines are missing, you have no idea what you are going to be getting into. I myself have spent 30 - 40 hours just getting heaters / and or air conditioners to work properly, since it is usually trial and error to get the vacuum lines hooked up to where they should be. Many times, people remove them, because the car will not run properly with a vacuum leak. The vacuum control might also have a damaged diaphragm, and will not hold a vacuum. No way to know, without further testing.
8) The car I would assume, should have a windshield washer, and it appears that the tank, hoses, and nozzles are missing. Don't know if the pump parts are on the wiper or not, or if it is even the correct wiper motor assembly. It looks like it is the same as my 1962 Chevrolet unit in the picture, and if it is, replacements should be reasonably priced.

I am not an Oldsmobile expert, however, I did work on these cars when they were new. I have also worked in GM dealership parts departments back in the early 1960's
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Junkman
8) The car I would assume, should have a windshield washer, and it appears that the tank, hoses, and nozzles are missing.
Don't assume. Washers were an extra cost option in 1960.
Old May 4th, 2017, 12:21 AM

Thanks to all !!! You are being very helpful. Still didn't decided. I found some mechanical parts at .http://www.rockauto.com/

What price will you offer if you were to buy this car?
Old May 4th, 2017, 05:15 AM

That car is WAY overpriced.

Here's the car.

http://www.arizonacollectorcars.com/...=803&q=current

Here's a valuation by Hagerty:

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...-Oldsmobile-98

With the flaws that Junkman found just by browsing the on-line photos it's in condition 2 at best.
Old May 4th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I agree, $32,500 is quite high, and the claim of a $39,000 value is an outright lie.

Collector Car Market Review says $21,375 for that car in #2 condition.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2017, 12:56 PM

I'm sure seller will not sell the car for $21,375. What is your opinion if I offer $26,000?
Old May 4th, 2017, 12:59 PM

Old May 4th, 2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Junkman
3) Antenna doesn't fully retract into the fender.
That is because it is a power antenna and that is how they were. Power antennas, on Oldsmobiles, did not fully retract into the body until 1969. Prior years left varying lengths of the power antenna exposed.

Quick Reply: How hard to find Olds parts