General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.
View Poll Results: What kind of car is the best replacement for an OLDS?
Chevy - Impala or Malibu
12.82%
Buick - classy like a Lucerne
35.90%
Cadillac - u pick
25.64%
Ford - Fusion or Flex
17.95%
Chrysler - Sebring or mini van
0%
Lincoln - LS
7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

How do you replace an Oldsmobile?

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Replace it? WHY?

I figure if the Air Force can keep the B-52s flying, I can certainly keep my Oldsmobiles on the road. This is why I've been stockpiling 455 blocks.

If, however, you held a gun to my head and forced me to buy a new car, there's only one choice. The Cadillac CTS-V coupe (when they come out next year).
When I was in Cuba a few years back, there were so many old cars on the road. I spoke with a few locals and they just build whatever part they need to keep the old girl running. Pretty smart people as far as that goes. I saw one 56 Olds with 2.5 million miles on it. It smoked like crazy but ran.

The locals are not allowed to sell them for export (as there's nothing they can afford to replace them) so they fix them up and meet every Sunday in front of the Capital building and talk to gearheads from around the world about the hobby. Of course for them it's a hobby as well as a necessity.
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
When I was in Cuba a few years back, there were so many old cars on the road. I spoke with a few locals and they just build whatever part they need to keep the old girl running. Pretty smart people as far as that goes. I saw one 56 Olds with 2.5 million miles on it. It smoked like crazy but ran.

The locals are not allowed to sell them for export (as there's nothing they can afford to replace them) so they fix them up and meet every Sunday in front of the Capital building and talk to gearheads from around the world about the hobby. Of course for them it's a hobby as well as a necessity.
90 short miles away from me

They do a lot of upholstery in Miami, berry good prices.
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM

go B.O.P or go home
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sick

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
(Ref: Cuba).....90 short miles away from me They do a lot of upholstery in Miami, berry good prices.
Q: What happens when a Cuban gets a flat tire?
A: He drowns

Tang ju berry much.
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Q: What happens when a Cuban gets a flat tire?
A: He drowns

Tang ju berry much.
Badda BING!

I will say that as the owner of two 1952 Chevy 2-ton trucks, it hurt to see that rust-free Chevy AD truck turned into a boat and later sunk by the Coast Guard.

Old December 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rocketscientist
go B.O.P or go home
Let's see if I deciphered this right....
B - Buick
O - Olds, not produced anymore
P - Poncho, same as Olds.

Buick or go home, right? What about Chev and Cadillac? They're part of the old BOPCK formula too.
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Had an olds 98 elite for daily driver, then went to Pontiac Bonnevilles, guess I might as well go to Buick next and see if they kill it off too.
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM

" How do you replace an Oldsmobile?"

You can't and you don't

Gene
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well, the numbers are sure interesting.

I got a 2010 Malibu sales brochure and looked through it. Lots of great options at a base entry price of around 21k.

Looked at a Buick Lucerne while I was there and it knocked my socks off. The price I mean, 51K. Having a hard time with justifying the extra 30K when the fit and finish on the Malibu is really close.

Next on the list: Ford Fusion
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM

My advice is go to other forums you wouldn't have to join, and read some of the problems people are having with the new G.M. cars than make up your mind.
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
My advice is go to other forums you wouldn't have to join, and read some of the problems people are having with the new G.M. cars than make up your mind.
Very reasonable and practical suggestion. Thanks!
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM

GM lost me in 03. When I had to replace my 88 caprice I bought a 2000 Grand Marquis, only traditional V8 powered rear drive car with a frame and very dependable. Bought an beautiful 07 Grand Marquis LS last year, figured I better get another before they stop making them. The 07 Marquis and the 70 Cutlass are both off the road for winter. The 88 Caprice ran great but it began rotting to the point of being impractical to fix and I couldn't find a descent one around here to replace it with. Though today driving the 00 during a snow storm is a bit challenging.
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:40 AM

This is what I would do in black or dark carmine.
Attached Images
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:07 AM

As long as the soviet government has anything to do with GM I will not buy a GM.
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM

I was torn when I bought a new car last year. I have always been loyal to GM but having a Focus, I really liked the new Ford's as well. So I opted for an 09 Focus...it's a great car as are all Ford's products. They really have their act together. GM however is coming out with some excellent cars as well. If I could afford something more expensive I'd certainly look at the new Buicks...their new styling is sublime.
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM
Registered

Let's see if I deciphered this right....
B - Buick
O - Olds, not produced anymore
P - Poncho, same as Olds.

Buick or go home, right? What about Chev and Cadillac? They're part of the old BOPCK formula too.
The proper terminology at shows and cruises is BOP & C (for Cadirrac).

What's the K for?? Is Kenworth GM??
I would buy one of those new if the money had no limits.
The Vista Cruiser could be a trailer queen.
In fact I could take my cars and my wife and kids cars all together on the trailer and they could all be trailer queens.

The Chebbies get 2/3 of the space at the shows, Furd and Mopar get 1/3 and the red-headed GM stepchildren BOP & C's get the rest.

Poncho same as Olds??

That's like saying all women are the same.

I have both so I can't pick favorites, cars types that is, one women is plenty enough for me.

Tiger was a Buick man but he tried to escape in a Cadirrac?
Maybe he was used to Buhog handling??

What will that thing be worth?
It's a unique three driver car, one in the front seat, one through the back window, and one upside Tiger's head.

I hope they don't fix it and destroy its added fleeing Tiger and #1 Tiger- woman destruction value???

Poor old Tiger.

He should just run around a tree in circles so fast that he melts and turns to butter.

Last edited by Bluevista; December 21st, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM
Cutlass Lover

you ain't right! Melts and turns to butter... mmm...mmm...mmm
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Sorry to say but as a mechanic I wouldn't purchase any new GM or Chrysler product.
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM

I wouldn't even consider a GM or Chrysler product. After their bail out they don't deserve anyones business. I know I'm never going to purchase a car from them that is 2008 or newer (probably not even that new).

I voted for the Lincoln because it is closer to your 98 than a Ford Fusion or Ford Flex (the 98 and the Lincoln are both full sized luxury cars). Of course, the best choice wasn't available, and that is to keep the Olds indefinitely.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The proper terminology at shows and cruises is BOP & C (for Cadirrac).

What's the K for?? Is Kenworth GM??
Allan,
When I worked in the Tech (computer) support industry for the auto industry a long time ago, (Vehicle Inventory control, automatic parts ordering and accounting) GM divisions were identified as BOPCK
Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Cadillac. (they had GMC paired into the Pontiac/Buick divisions cause that's what the franchises had to be back then) Chev was usually partnered with Olds or Cadillac or both. The reason they used K for "Cadirrac" was to avoid confusion with "Chebby".
At shows and cruises it may be listed as you say, but how do they list Chebby or Cadirrac since they both start with C's ??

Whattaya mean all women aren't the same? Course they are....they remind you of why you married them, whether you're cooking tonight or not, what your job is around the house, and whether you can get 7's on a crap shoot (I call that "lucky"). Sometimes they're cool to hang with, sometimes you're better off on a self sponsored vacation. Yah, I'd say they're pretty much the same, just packaged different. I understand they all have subscriptions to "Women Unlimited" and they all know each others telephone number to keep track of how men in the world need to be changed according to Oprah and her countless minions...

I hope all yer kids are girls...don't know to many boys who would like to be called a "queen" even if they're stuck on your trailer....

Originally Posted by Olds64
....I voted for the Lincoln because it is closer to your 98 than a Ford Fusion or Ford Flex (the 98 and the Lincoln are both full sized luxury cars). Of course, the best choice wasn't available, and that is to keep the Olds indefinitely.
Jesse,
The reason I started this thread was to get opinions on the best replacement for my 98. I do plan to keep the 98 alive as long as I can, but I started out with a car that should have been scrapped before it went to auction. The only reason it's alive today is because of my unswerving loyalty to driving an Olds (prefereably one that handles the high seas better than small craft). Originally I was looking at a 2001 Lincoln LS with really low miles and in showroom condition. Only the guy wants 17,500.00 for it. In comparison I've seen several newer ones with about the same mileage going for 10-14k. I also saw a 1980 Regency that's for sale just 3 hours south of me that only has 2500 original miles on it. But the guy is selling it like its a BJ special. He wants to recoup his costs for buying it, storing it, maintaining it, insuring it, and anything else he can tack on as a cost. Too bad. It's just not worth the money he wants. (ebay auction is over 12,500 US and it didn't even hit reserve)

I did think about branching back in time to a really nice 72-76 4 door Regency. I also wouldn't mind a 75-78 Merc Marquis or 4 door Rincoln with a big 460! They are such nice yachts and I really like the long swept lines of the old luxury boats. It's all going to come down to what I can afford to spend, and what the costs of ownership will be. You youngsters should continue to take advantage of these good ol days while you still can.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the family, is your little girl starting to walk yet?
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM

Allan, Buick has consistently ranked at or near the top in long-term reliability during the past several years.

Have you checked out the new LaCrosse?

Another option is to consider a low-mileage 2004 or 2005 vintage LeSabre or Park Avenue. Some really fine examples turn up for sale from time-to-time at very reasonable prices, and the 3800 engine is very difficult to beat in terms of reliability and fuel efficiency.
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM

The only reason it's alive today is because of my unswerving loyalty to driving an Olds
We are glad you have that unswerving loyatly. Hopefully you can fix the idle stumble soon. If you have to let the Olds go, we will understand.

is your little girl starting to walk yet?
Not quite. Thanks for asking. She can sit on her own, and stands up as long as you hold onto her hands. She is already scooting around and getting into trouble though.
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Centurion
Allan, Buick has consistently ranked at or near the top in long-term reliability during the past several years.

Have you checked out the new LaCrosse?

Yes, I actually sat in one at the dealership. Didn't road test it yet because I'm not ready to and don't want to get the sales staff hoping for a sale before Christmas!! It's a very nice car, no doubt about it.
Another option is to consider a low-mileage 2004 or 2005 vintage LeSabre or Park Avenue. Some really fine examples turn up for sale from time-to-time at very reasonable prices, and the 3800 engine is very difficult to beat in terms of reliability and fuel efficiency.

re: Older 2004(5) Park Avenue? That's definitely an option I'd look seriously at. I think either the 3800 or the supercharged would be a wonderful engine. Some of the older Buicks seats are really plush and pillowy. I would hate to fall asleep driving Like you say, there are bound to be great cars coming up for sale - usually private listings- all the time. I'm keeping my eyes peeled. If I could get a 96 Regency elite locally with relatively low miles in good condtion for decent price, I'd jump all over it.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:39 PM

Should have had a option for "none of the above!!!!

Ralph
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:01 AM

FWIW, the Buicks are good cars. I owned a 1993 Buick LeSaber that was a champ. Plus, Oldsguy owns a 2001 Buick LeSaber that is a nice car. His has given him more problems though. If you are ok with buying a late model GM product then you will probably be happy with a Buick Lucerne or Lacrosse.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by German442
Should have had a option for "none of the above!!!!

Ralph
I'm open to knowing why. The poll is specifically for a new car not used, although there are a lot of good used ones to choose from.
Keep in mind that ........The choices I consider affordable and in the domestic category (I'm just not a big fan of imports): Chev, Buick, Cadillac, Ford, Chryler, Lincoln

That's why I put only the domestic choices on the poll. I know you live in Germany right now. So my guess is you're thinking of Mercedes, Porsche, BMW etc. But service and parts for those cars in north america are...expensive. I also thought about the rice burners, but I prefer to support the north ameriican production industry, and their quality has been improving significantly over the last 6 years + I don't need the insurance and/or theft issues typically associated with imports.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 01:20 AM

I'm open to knowing why.
That's why I put only the domestic choices on the poll. I know you live in Germany right now. So my guess is you're thinking of Mercedes, Porsche, BMW etc. But service and parts for those cars in north america are...expensive. I also thought about the rice burners, but I prefer to support the north ameriican production industry, and their quality has been improving significantly over the last 6 years + I don't need the insurance and/or theft issues typically associated with imports.
Nope- not what I meant. I'm a "sports car/muscle" car fan. For me, that means for a new car, I'd be going toward 'Vette/Camaro SS!
Sure, there are fantastic European cars, including sport/performance cars. I have 2 problems w/ them:
1) Bang for the buck is totally skewed. For instance, I can buy 2 'Vettes or 3 Camaros for the price of a Porsche 911!
2) I like a car w/ a little "character". To me, even my BMW 330ci is too "perfect" to be fun. It's there 'cause it's a no-brainer to drive, goes very fast w/ no effort (I do ~180kph in decent weather in summer on the Autobahn). Wife drives it in the winter & I drive my beater.

So, THAT is what I meant!

Ralph
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by German442
Nope- not what I meant. I'm a "sports car/muscle" car fan. For me, that means for a new car, I'd be going toward 'Vette/Camaro SS!
Sure, there are fantastic European cars, including sport/performance cars. I have 2 problems w/ them:
1) Bang for the buck is totally skewed. For instance, I can buy 2 'Vettes or 3 Camaros for the price of a Porsche 911!
2) I like a car w/ a little "character". To me, even my BMW 330ci is too "perfect" to be fun. It's there 'cause it's a no-brainer to drive, goes very fast w/ no effort (I do ~180kph in decent weather in summer on the Autobahn). Wife drives it in the winter & I drive my beater.

So, THAT is what I meant!

Ralph
Gotcha! I would love a sports car too, but have to keep in line with moving the family around too! Thanks Ralph. Fröhliches Weihnachten und Gutes Neues Jahr!
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Fröhliches Weihnachten und Gutes Neues Jahr!
....und das gleiche zurueck!

Ralph
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Just replaced our 2002 Bravada today with a Chevy Traverse,
Old December 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM

The reason I have bought old (pre 1973) Oldsmobiles since 1980 was for their quality. That is still the main criteria for me when buying a vehicle today. I bought a new Honda and the quality of this Canadian built vehilce is outstanding. I would not buy a modern GM bacause it lacks quality. I have been looking for a truck to pull my W31 and will buy a Ford, not because it is high quality, but because it is better quality than GM or Dodge.