General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How do you keep your classic secure?

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:13 PM

How do you keep your classic secure?

Hello,

I just purchased a 1968 Olds 442. The previous owner kept it in excellent condition. Currently, it is parked in a well lit ungated underground garage with a car cover. I have just installed a Ravelco system today which would stop anyone from starting the engine. Is there anything else you all would suggest?

thanks,
b
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:35 PM

insure it for agreed upon value.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:19 AM

Find locked storage somewhere. Even if its a storage unit because you can always swap the car you drove over there for the hotrod. Then when done having your fun swap them back. Otherwise disable the ignition pulling the coil wire is quick and easy and I install a steering wheel lock like the club. Anything to delay or deter someone.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:19 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by 68_convert
x2
Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:55 AM
71 cutlass convertible

You may have trouble getting an agreed value policy. My policy wants it stored in a locked garage. Get a garage or storage unit. What you have done is stop it from being stolen but some idiot can still run a key down it or worse.

Larry
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:41 AM

Drive a manual trans. It seems no one can handle a clutch any more even if you gave them the keys.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:44 AM

X3, also additional 12 gauge coverage just incase you need more...Tedd
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:52 AM
Administrator

I don't think you can insure it through a Classic Car policy for the fact it is in a public garage. A locked garage or storage facility is required. Any alarm system is pretty ineffective to prevent theft, as a few well placed jumper wires will get the car started. Removing the coil wire or replacing it with a dummy will slow them down dramatically.

I prefer the 2 brothers (Brothers Smith & Wesson) vehicle security system in addition to what you already have. Easy to disguise and very effective.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:56 AM

Being it is not in what sounds like a secure garage. Remove the engine and put it on blocks and take the wheels off, that should do it.

Last edited by Nilsson; October 2nd, 2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:04 AM

Good insurance is the first step. I keep mine in a locked garage with no windows and good locks and an alarm system. Other than that it is protected with guns. If I am not home, it is protected with the neighbors guns, After that it is protected with many more guns from all the other neighbors and relatives around me. Not much theft within a 5 mile radius of me.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:21 AM

I don't think we get to shoot just for thievery here. You could try holding a thief at gunpoint but if they choose to run away, you are not justified to shoot at them.

Mine are buried under stuff and have a vehicle or two blocking the way.

When they were running, and I used to have to park on the street... do what you can. Dummy coil wire [vacuum line], secret kill switch, etc. I ended up making and installing a system my wife helped devise. I wanted something that I could not "forget to arm". Ended up with a drop relay activated anytime the starter is used. Hotwired or otherwise. With drop relay on, the car will start and run... in Park only. Pull out of park, it dies. Starts right back up.... in park.... etc. Secret switch with special key turns system off. Another switch lets you set the ACK system w/o engaging the starter, such as to dash in the store and leave it running.

Ideally a silent alarm system that calls your cell phone I guess... then other numbers like friends, police, etc.

Maybe a flashing license plate frame that says "STOLEN CAR, CALL 911" unless you turn it off....
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:22 AM

Locked garage at home. The club on the steering wheel when out. Thinking about adding a kill switch.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Octania
I don't think we get to shoot just for thievery here. ....
We do here in Texas...
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:43 AM

I don't think we get to shoot just for thievery here..

I will do what it takes to protect my family and property. If that means me getting into trouble then so be it. If I end up in jail over it then I figure that is where God wanted me to be and can use me there. Not that I want to go there
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:56 AM

As others have said, I don't think any classic car insurance company would do this for a car that is not parked in its own locked garage. Something with unmonitored public access like the OP has? Not a chance.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:11 AM

I have everything in my garage where it is checked on every day, you on the other hand should get a secure storage unit close to home and get the wireless camera installed that goes to your phone so you can check it out when ever you choose to. A friend uses one to check out his daughters horse in the stable while at work.
Steve
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't think we get to shoot just for thievery here. You could try holding a thief at gunpoint but if they choose to run away, you are not justified to shoot at them.
All very true, but if a burglar puts you in fear of death or serious injury while on your premises, say by picking up one of your own tools from a workbench and coming at you, you will be glad that you've brought your own protection, and if he has met his end as a result of his lack of judgement, there will be good consistency in the subsequent description of the events.

- Eric
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
there will be good consistency in the subsequent description of the events.

- Eric
Truer words never spoken!

I had a close friend that had this happen to him. He shot 2 guys stealing tools out of his garage. Both lived, the only thing he ever said about it was, "Next time there will be only one story told!".

Try renting an unused garage somewhere around you.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:40 PM

Have I got a long story about involving JC Taylor insurance (Zurich). Here is the Reader's Digest version.

It was a 1968 Z28 RS Camaro with 68,000 miles. The car was found after the original engine was blown up (it was left on the side of the road). They wanted receipts (I bought it like this, I insured it for my purchase price), they wanted put a Target Master in it and wanted me to pay for half (68k miles was half used up). It is called BETTERMENT! It took a very determined owner and a call to a Zurich VP and within 15 minutes they agreed to rebuild the original engine. It required 3 sleeves, but it still contained the original numbers and broach marks.

Unfortunately, I had too sell it after it had been violated.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:09 PM

Hmmmm Just went to hagerty and quoted a agreed value policy kept in public garage @ 10K for 204 a year. $40 more than my garaged policy.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Are you sure it's an agreed upon policy for a public garage?
Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:29 PM

All I can go by is the questions I answered and public garage was one of them. Always possible they would say no...
Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:57 PM
Runner

Hmmmm Just went to hagerty and quoted a agreed value policy kept in public garage @ 10K for 204 a year. $40 more than my garaged policy.
Wow, I'm surprised they have policies for public garages. Congrats on getting a policy for what seems to be a good price. Just make sure you didn't hear things incorrectly
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:08 PM

My policy is 10K agreed value parked in private garage for $161 a year. If I drive it the top is down and has been left at walmart and various places with the top down all the time. Stolen is stolen no matter where it is parked I figure. They know I drive it. a locked car keeps a honest man honest. not like pulling the side window out and reach in to unlock it is difficult.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
Wow, I'm surprised they have policies for public garages. Congrats on getting a policy for what seems to be a good price. Just make sure you didn't hear things incorrectly
X2 on this as it certainly is surprising if true.

But overall it seems that competition amongst the classic car insurance companies is increasing in recent years, and I'm wondering if companies are starting to relax some of the restrictions we all grew up with.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
Runner

My policy is 10K agreed value parked in private garage for $161 a year. If I drive it the top is down and has been left at walmart and various places with the top down all the time. Stolen is stolen no matter where it is parked I figure. They know I drive it. a locked car keeps a honest man honest. not like pulling the side window out and reach in to unlock it is difficult.
Again, I would watch out with this. I have Hagerty as well and know they have no mileage restriction, but they do state you are not suppose to drive it for "daily driver" activities (Although I have no idea how they prove what is what). I would just be careful with how long and where you park it still. Don't tempt the devil.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM

Easy to check. Hagerty.com go thru the quote process. I will say from my last policy on my last classic 4 yrs ago to this one things have changed. Last one I choose a 5k a year and could have paid for more.. No milage restrictions on this policy and driving to work is no longer a no no. They don't know the milage on the car so would be hard to tell how much I drive it.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM

Stolen is stolen no matter where it is parked I figure. They know I drive it.
What you figure is all well and good, but what the insurance company figure is what matters . Stolen may not exactly be stolen, depending on the circumstances. And driving it is not the same as leaving it unattended in a public place because when you're driving it, you're with the car.

If you actually were to suffer a loss, I wonder how the insurance company would react if they found out that the car was, say, stolen from a Wal-Mart parking lot where you had left it unattended while you went shopping. That's a far different thing from having someone break into your locked garage to steal it. In the latter case, at least you could argue that you had done everything you could to secure the car.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM

Easy to check. Hagerty.com go thru the quote process.
He's right. The dropdown boxes do allow you to select things like "parked in a public garage" and "used as daily driver." I'm sure, though, that things like this add to the premium. But I think Hagerty is one of the insurance companies that's trying to make itself a one-stop destination for all your car insurance needs, and they are relaxing some of the old rules for collector cars.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:25 PM

So your saying I shouldn't ever drive it anywhere and park it for any reason? ugh... You are probably right. Darn it. Guess I didn't think this thru. Thanks for the advice. Locked up unless I can only drive around. Thankfully pay at the pump is everywhere. appreciate it. You rock!!!
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:39 PM

So your saying I shouldn't ever drive it anywhere and park it for any reason? ugh... You are probably right. Darn it. Guess I didn't think this thru. Thanks for the advice. Locked up unless I can only drive around. Thankfully pay at the pump is everywhere. appreciate it. You rock!!!
I never said anything like this. Don't be putting words in my mouth. Why don't you do us all a little favor and do some growing up?

There are lots of reasons you can drive the car. You just need to keep an eye on it is all. That's why these insurance companies talk about things like "trips to the ice cream stand" or "trips to the park" or something like that.

Frankly, I would wonder why anyone, whether their insurance allows it or not, would leave their beautiful classic unattended, anyway. Especially in a big parking lot like at a Wal-Mart. How'd you like to come back to the car and find that the guy who parked next to you let his grocery cart roll into it? You rock!!!
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:53 PM
Still on the planet...

Originally Posted by QMaster
Locked garage at home. The club on the steering wheel when out. Thinking about adding a kill switch.

Once the thieves down here figured out a hacksaw and 30 seconds would defeat a "club" everyone quit using 'em!

Be sure to add an anti-ignition device.

Last edited by Lonestar; October 2nd, 2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I never said anything like this. Don't be putting words in my mouth. Why don't you do us all a little favor and do some growing up?

There are lots of reasons you can drive the car. You just need to keep an eye on it is all. That's why these insurance companies talk about things like "trips to the ice cream stand" or "trips to the park" or something like that.

Frankly, I would wonder why anyone, whether their insurance allows it or not, would leave their beautiful classic unattended, anyway. Especially in a big parking lot like at a Wal-Mart. How'd you like to come back to the car and find that the guy who parked next to you let his grocery cart roll into it? You rock!!!

How old are you that you think if things aren't your way it's wrong? I enjoy my classic. Anywhere and anytime I want. How dare you tell me how to drive and where to park my car. I mean really. How dare you. You sir need to mind your own business. What type of man who is old enough to pay his bills tells someone else how they should enjoy their own stuff? You sir need to grow up.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:27 PM

I put a column lock on mine. It wraps around the steering column, keeps thieves from peeling the column and getting to the ignition tumbler. They're made in Ohio and also have an additional piece that covers the switch tumbler and prevents steering.

imagejpg1_zps9d081cbc.jpg
imagejpg2_zpsfc505c92.jpg
imagejpg4_zpsef8171e8.jpg
imagejpg3_zps36fd25e6.jpg
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75
... I would wonder why anyone, whether their insurance allows it or not, would leave their beautiful classic unattended, anyway. Especially in a big parking lot like at a Wal-Mart. How'd you like to come back to the car and find that the guy who parked next to you let his grocery cart roll into it?
I drive my car to WalMart, Target, and similar places all the time.

I leave it unlocked, too (not hard to do when there's no roof worth the word).

If I can't drive around in my car, then why the heck did I buy it?

If someone wants it so badly, he can have it. That's the chance you take when you've got nice stuff. Short of mounting a Ma Deuce on the transmission hump and never leaving the car alone, how are you really going to protect it from all eventualities? I grew up in NYC back in the "good old days," when you stepped over junkies and winos every few yards. We had our place broken into repeatedly. Bars, screens, double-locking deadbolts - none of it mattered. If they want to get in and get your stuff, they're going to do it. Sure, maybe they'll get shot, but they're junkies and they really don't care, and you can't be home waiting for them 24 hours a day. In the end, you've got to accept that bad things can happen, and go on and live your life.

If I were so worried about my car that I was afraid to park it, I'd sell it and find a hobby that didn't freak me out.

- Eric
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:53 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

X2 with eric. I take my car to get groceries , I park it where ever there is an open spot. I never lock it and my kill switch is on the dash labeled ign. My dad always gave me a hard time. My response is . Its insured so who ever steals it just paid for my next project car they would be doing me a favor. This attitude is probably why no one has messed with it. I have put more dents in my car than anyone ever did in the walmart parking lot. My insurance is through state farm. 15 dollars for storage and 75 bucks for the driving months. Agreed value of 17k. Not too shabby.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 2nd, 2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:45 AM
Lansing built

Hagerty's agreed upon policy section.
https://www.hagerty.ca/insurance/Cla...verEligibility

I have both of mine insured by Grundy (use to be Hagerty) for the 70 only!
One is locked in the garage, the other is under a carport and covered.

Very low crime here, retired neighbors on garage side so somebody is within 100 ft of the cars 90% of the time.

Pat
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:54 AM
Hookers under Hood

You can't stop a thief, you can only slow then down. You can get past anything with a good cordless drill and a carbide drill bit in minutes. Keep good insurance on it and hope for the best. My wife has done more damage to our cars over the years than most thieves could . Insurance doesn't cover that.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:05 AM

I doubt that any amount of insurance will keep your care secure.

Last edited by Nilsson; October 3rd, 2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by garys 68&72
Drive a manual trans. It seems no one can handle a clutch any more even if you gave them the keys.

That's what I figure too. Besides no one knows how to hot wire a car anymore anyway. If they want it they're going to take it with a flat bed.

When I go to car shows I leave my iphone hidden in the car when I walk around. I even do it when I drive the car to places like Walmart. A quick login to here will find your car fast:

https://www.apple.com/icloud/find-my-iphone.html

BTW when I really get paranoid I take the coil wire with me

Quick Reply: How do you keep your classic secure?