General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

how do you join real olds power .com

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2011, 08:17 AM

how do you join real olds power .com

I noticed many of you are members of Real Olds Power. Several of us have been unable to join this group. Is it something I ate or do I smell?

Lee
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by leepear
I noticed many of you are members of Real Olds Power. Several of us have been unable to join this group. Is it something I ate or do I smell?

Lee
If you figure it out, let me know....

I've tried for several years... About 2 years ago I finally got a login that worked after repeated emails to admins (but never got a response...it just started working one day). It worked for ~ 6-8 mos & I posted only a couple of time, then it failed with something like "admin has not activated this account'. I could never get it reset despite more emails.

I've tried to register new IDs...with more emails, but no luck.

I've given up on trying. I do scout their For Sale and hope that if I find something I want, that I can either track the user to CO, or the ad has an email or ph number listed....

I guess its a closed club...
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Oldsdruid

That site has been troublesome to register the last few years. Don't know how to tell you to get in.
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM

You could always try www.oldspower.com instead. Thier admin is easier to get ahold of.

John
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM

high performance olds is btr 's site easy to get on too
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

Ten thousand men will apply today, only one makes the ROP.
They have limited openings so you have to purchase a membership from a retiring member at the yearly Halloween auction held on Funk and Wagnall's back porch or inherit it.
Sort of the same deal as exclusive country clubs and season tickets for Buckeyes football.
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:01 AM

I applied in July of 2010 and just got in about two months ago. I never did receive an email about being approved I just tried it one day and viola, there I was. Just keep trying with your login and maybe you'll get lucky. It can be a tough group over there so I hope you have a thick skin.
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Ben

I'm on a lot of message boards. Chevelles, GTOs, Trucks, Racing, hell even my daily driver subaru board on occasion.

But the 2-3 main oldsmobile sites make me nuts. The same people post the exact same stuff on all 3 boards.

Just pick a site and stay with it.

ROP has a nice user base with a lot of racers and regular folks, but their board software sucks, and as stated above they don't let any new folks in.

BTR's High Performance olds site seems to be made up of BTRs cheerlearleaders- Bill does posts regularly and his stuff is kinda interesting, but did it really need its own board?

Here at Classic Olds This site seems to be the most well "rounded" and the most civil of the bunch- which is why i choose to post here- but I still just don't get it.

Why the heck would go bother to post the exact same stuff, when the same people are on all the same sites???

Of course i will give props to ROP for the nice butt thread, but thats about the only reason i even wind up looking through their site.
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:10 AM

Good Luck!!!!!

I attempted 2 years ago. Not worth it.
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM

I'm on it, I could get you on there pretty quickly if you give me your W30 when its done. took me a few times too
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:07 PM

Did you email Russell separately - as the instructions on the web site say?
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM

I am just getting used to all of you I think I will pass on the effort to get on that site. You have been helpful during my restoration, given me a window sticker person, found the mystery steering wheel I needed and I have even contributed to the group a little too. I have a lead on the person with all 3,000 of the dealer #s on a 1984 list. Stay tuned. Since there is only room for a couple w-30 convertible 4 speeds in each group I probably can't add much to that site anyway. I went away for the day and came back to a nice discussion. So bluevista, could you write me a letter of recommendation?

Lee
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:23 PM

and Steven...........who would want a car you cant even drive. Keep yours it is more fun. Plus you would have to shift mine......Lee

Last edited by leepear; March 26th, 2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Ten thousand men will apply today, only one makes the ROP.
They have limited openings so you have to purchase a membership from a retiring member at the yearly Halloween auction held on Funk and Wagnall's back porch or inherit it.
Sort of the same deal as exclusive country clubs and season tickets for Buckeyes football.
Or season tickets for the Packers...Now if you want tickets to see the Detroit Lions you get those for free at Sunoco with an 8 gallon fill up
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
Was about two days from registration to activation for me - CW
Wow... I've been trying since November to get someone over there to activate my account. I tried daily through the Holiday Season and have recently all but lost faith that the account will ever be opened.

I've sent several emails to current members over on the ROP website, but to be quite honest with you, none of them seem to have any interest in helping a fellow olds enthusiast join the ROP Family.

Oh well.... I'll give it another shot. Would you please consider sending me a PM or an email with your POC (email address) over at ROP so that I might give it a try with a POC other than the one they list in the "This is how you register here" thread?

Thanks,

NS
(BTW, same user identification I am trying to activate over there).
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:31 PM

I was member #8 of the original ROP membership. Of course that was 2-3 crashes ago. I go there just because it is more racing orientated. I have also met many guys over there in person at Olds races. Some I get along with some I don't. Same with vendors. ROP is also a "Liars Playground". I have also made some very good friends including from Sweden, England and Holland. All Olds nuts.

HPO (BTR's site) hasn't grown like I thought it would.

oldspower.com is probably the best all around olds site out there.Been a member since 2000.

This site is OK, but too much of the correct trim for whatever kind of stuff. As with any site there are 4-5 guys that know HP and the rest are internet engine builders and wannabes. Same shyt different day.

Oh by the way "Have a Nice Day"
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:46 PM

380 Racer: Nice to see an olds still tearing up the dragstrip. I don't do well with liars so will stay off ROP. I enjoy the hobby too much for any stress.

Lee
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:18 PM

I will ask again.

Those of you who cant get on, did you follow the instructions as posted ? Or, just apply? If you dont follow step two you will likely get lost in the spambot applications.

There are new members on there.
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Oldsdruid

Thread hijack- CW, where did you get that way cool key?

...and now we return to our regularly scheduled programming...
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
I will ask again.

Those of you who cant get on, did you follow the instructions as posted ? Or, just apply? If you dont follow step two you will likely get lost in the spambot applications.

There are new members on there.
In my case, "Yes". Sent email(s) to rushunt.....
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
In my case, "Yes". Sent email(s) to rushunt.....
Ditto.

I created the username/id then submitted the request from activation to rushunt@lorettotel.net

I sent emails daily, since last Thanksgiving (2010) and have heard nothing. I don't get it.

Any dual members (here and ROP) have any idea what the "rub" is? Are you interested in assisting some fellow Olds lovers with the request to join?

NS
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM

I'm a member on ROP with this screenname and its been my understanding that nobody can get on there. How I got in is anyone's guess
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by DJS70cutlass
I'm a member on ROP with this screenname and its been my understanding that nobody can get on there. How I got in is anyone's guess
Any chance you can email the admin of the site and ask them what we are collectively "doing wrong"?

NS
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:50 PM

The forum software is junk, outdated, and so many security holes you wouldnt believe it. A member did a little checking and found out a ton of spambots are registering every day. The owners of the board do not care to fix it, or care to admit new members, or care to let others help them fix the problems. So tell me again why everyone is so eager to join that fiasco?

read this about the holes in the forum letting every spammer in but no Oldsmobile people.

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...608&highlight=

Last edited by TK-65; March 26th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:57 PM

TK,

I've found parts on the site that I wanted to buy, but the person selling the parts didn't post any contact information.

I had/have cash, wanted their parts, and couldn't close a deal.

Kind of frustrating is all.

Appreciate the insight.... thanks for sharing.

NS
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:02 PM

The bottom line NightStalker is no one knows how it's done. I seemed to get on by accident after 7-8 months. Others get on in days or weeks. It's not that no one wants to help it's just bad admin on their part. I would register then keep coming back and trying your login until it works. Also read the first post by the admin guy and send him an email. Persistence works I guess. It's not like there is a magic formula
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:32 PM

I was on ROP for a bit (took forever to get on), then my acct was turned into a 'guest' acct out of the blue. Emailed the admin... no response. The site is a joke IMO. I had MUCH easier time reactivating my old Ogrish (ya I know... ewwww) acct.

Last edited by oldzy; March 26th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
The owners ......... or care to admit new members,
\

There are new members. Newest member joined mar 27 and i have seen other new users from Jan - Mar of this year.

Each Olds board has it's good and bad. I belong to 8 because there is not a one that comprehensive enough for me due to the diversity of cars i own. Each one has something to offer and learn from and i take the good with the bad in each one of them.
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
\

There are new members. Newest member joined mar 27 and i have seen other new users from Jan - Mar of this year.

Each Olds board has it's good and bad. I belong to 8 because there is not a one that comprehensive enough for me due to the diversity of cars i own. Each one has something to offer and learn from and i take the good with the bad in each one of them.
You can still see the "new user" but if they never get activated.. .they will never be able to post.

John
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:04 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I have dual citizenship,here at CO and ROP.

On a side note,I agree there are good and bad points with either board.I do consider both boards valuable assets to my seeking of Oldsmobile knowledge.

Last edited by w-30dreamin; March 27th, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Since there is only room for a couple w-30 convertible 4 speeds in each group I probably can't add much to that site anyway.

Lee
Just curious as to why you would think there is only a certain amount of room for a particular model car?
Especially when talking about what I would consider the holy grail of Oldsmobile.
As far as I am concerned,the more the merrier.
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:48 PM

I too was on ROP at one time , now can not log in after multiple attemps and messages to administrator . Forget it , not worth the trouble. Love this site, just wish there was a little more racing action thats all.
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:05 PM

The first rule of initial membership for RealOldsPower is.....do NOT talk about Real Olds Power....., the second rule is.....Do NOT talk about RealOldsPower!!!
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:19 PM

W-30dreaming I was just kidding around and frustrated with ROP. I don't consider my cars holy grail. I was just lucky to find them many years ago and really couldn't afford them today. I did pay $4,300 for my 1971 w-30 convertible 4 speed 25 years ago which was probably market value at the time. My 70 w-30 convt 4 speed is another story since nobody wanted muscle cars in the late 70s so the lady almost gave me the car. Sorry for my weird sense of humor.

Lee
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:34 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

W-30dreaming I was just kidding around and frustrated with ROP. I don't consider my cars holy grail. I was just lucky to find them many years ago and really couldn't afford them today. I did pay $4,300 for my 1971 w-30 convertible 4 speed 25 years ago which was probably market value at the time. My 70 w-30 convt 4 speed is another story since nobody wanted muscle cars in the late 70s so the lady almost gave me the car. Sorry for my weird sense of humor.

Lee
Hi Lee,
No need to apologize,I was just curious and I do understand the frustration.
Congrats on being smart enough to obtain 2 of what I consider Oldsmobiles holy grails while prices were affordable.
Walter
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:07 AM

Lee
Secret handshake and oath of loyalty to the Grand Pooba
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:09 AM
bil

You can't actually get on ROP,even following instructions.I think it is entirely computer generated,with posts gleaned from other sites,pictures also.Anyone that claims to be a member is really a bot from there,come to get info.it is run by the government to find out the tolerance level of certain people. ---bil
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Banned

ROP is the premier Oldsmobile web forum on the internet.

great people,great information.
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by badd andy
ROP is the premier Oldsmobile web forum on the internet.

great people,great information.
Are you sure we are going to the same web site?
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:32 AM
bil

No one is argueing it isn't good,otherwise we wouldn't want to join.Personally,I have gotten used to not being able to post,as it saves time.But sometimes it is like going past a candy store that is never open,look,but stay out. Now I just see it as a sort of website to find info,and ask questions on other sites.Oldsopedia! ---bil

Quick Reply: how do you join real olds power .com