General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

how do AN fittings work?

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2016, 06:44 AM

how do AN fittings work?

Im in the stages of my build were things are going to start going together and I was thinking about all my hoses. I want my build to look a lil cleaner than stock and was thinking of making all braided lines for my engine compartment. not interested in doing the fake kit as i've done that before. i want the real deal. the problem is i dont understand how they work. like for example is there a fitting that couples with the tube that comes off my heater core? is there a fitting that couples with the PVC port off an edlebrock carb? i have zero plumbing experience. the only part i think i have figured out is how to actually make the hose after i watched a youtube video. any knowledge you can drop on me would be appreciated.
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:00 AM

Unless you start that engineering process at the beginning, it will not be easy. As you noted, how do you mate a flared fitting to...
Radiator
heater core
water pump
etc.

A carb and fuel pump should not be too bad because they already use inverted flare fittings. Just need an adapter or the proper carb to hose fitting w/o an adapter.

Thus the popularity of the lookalike kits
you get the look, at first glance, and the SS exterior protection, but easy to install w/o a lot of expensive mods.

Unless you are building an aircraft or marine craft, real AN hoses may just not be right for your application.
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll answer a little differently, as I've done this before.

First, understand that the braided hose is just that, rubber hose with a stainless overbraid. The rubber eventually deteriorates, just like any rubber hose.

Second, there is no adapter fitting for coolant hoses. People just use the fake hose ends that hide a hose clamp inside the anodized aluminum fitting. It's a lot of money for bling with no actual benefit over regular radiator and heater hoses. It's actually worse, since you obviously can't get braided hose molded to fit.

Third, for fuel and pressure lines, there are various adapter fittings for specific applications. You may have to check multiple sources, but you can get a fitting for the Qjet fuel inlet, the Saginaw PS pump, etc, etc.

Fourth, for brake lines and similar high pressure hydraulic lines, use only Teflon-lined hose, not rubber lined.

Finally, after spending all this time and money, I found that the look was waaaay too cluttered. I ended up ditching most of the braided hose and using carefully routed hard line instead. It was a much cleaner look. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that most wiring and plumbing should be hidden. The cleanest engine compartments I've seen have almost no visible plumbing or wiring.
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:32 AM

i found another product(s) i may try. hose candy seems to have a kit that cleans up the engine bay. they use boa / heat shrink clamps. kinda pricey but simpler for a novice. my main goal is not so much the braided hose but more the lack of hose clamps. i dont want metal hose clamps lol. i wasnt even going to get stainless braid, i was probably gonna get black braid.
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Sounds like what you want is black Push-Lok hose with black fittings.

Old March 7th, 2016, 11:50 AM

gates powergrip hose clamps. replaces metal clamps with heat shrink rubber.