General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How did you get your Oldsmobile?

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM

I know it was a 1/4 century ago, but do you remember why your old '71 was parked so close to the car behind it?

Originally Posted by droptopron
I had a '71 442 in high school (1986) ...

High School car
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:01 PM
delete

As you can tell, my 442 was still awaiting its body off restoration. With the back jacked up so high (it was the mid '80's) I think my Pops wanted to see if he could get his Dart to slip underneath it.

I look back now on what I put that poor car thru. It was a different time.
Pretty nice car too. Bench seat auto but pw, pdl, cruise, tilt & a sport steering wheel.

Last edited by droptopron; December 19th, 2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:13 PM

got my '60 88 from a dealership i pass by on the way to my dads house drove by it almost every single day and would always slow down and stare at it every time I drove past. It looked so pretty I assumed he would want too much for it but finally decided to stop in and get a closer look at it and saw the price wasn't bad at all and I just knew I had to make it mine so I bought it I still can't drive it yet but I love it i'm very happy with it!
Old December 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM

When I was in high school there was a house right behind the high school that belonged to the auto shop teachers brother, and there sat a run down orange (faded red) and black 66 cutlass. It was in rough shape and we worked on it a few times in the high school auto shop so that it would stay running and stop. Fast forward about 5 years. My wife (girlfriend at the time) was also into cars (she owns the 64 galaxie) and I told her about the car I wished I had the money to purchase in high school. I still did not have all the money - she told me to call him and see what we could work out. I called, reminded him of who I was, told him that I wanted the car and that I intended to give it some loving and drive it and asked how much. He said "well I tried selling it a year ago for $1,000 but the guy never showed up. How about $750?" I told him I would give $750 for it, hoping that it wasn't in much worse condition. When we drove out to pay him and pick up the title, I saw the car coming towards us from a mile away on the country road and KNEW that was the car we came for. Turns out he spent some time to get it running again and was driving it one last time, but it was in worse condition as it had been sitting outside and someone broke the front passenger window and the windshield and water had gotten inside and damaged the door panels.

When he got back to the house I was waiting and he got out of the car with tears in his eyes and said he didn't really want to get rid of it, but he would stand by his word. I told him I would understand if he changed his mind, he asked if I would go $800 and I agreed, shook his hand, and told him thank you. It turns out the title had not officially been put into his name and still had the name of the last owner. This took about 3 years to straighten out - when I got the title the car was bare metal and the vehicle investigator who was issuing the new title asked what color it was - I said it is bare metal but I plan to paint it green. To this day the title still says the car is green.

Since then I have put "a couple" hours into it to get it pretty and driveable. The color of choice changed during the countless hours doing body work into what my avatar shows today - black body with custom stripes that change from black to a bright light maroon when the light catches them properly. I plan to make it out to his house this spring and show him what I have done, the least I can do for him after what he chose to do for me. This car still has work to be done, but I enjoy driving it TOO much to let it sit until it is 100% done. Sadly I did not take pics of the car when I first got it but I did take photos along the way to where it is now.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:04 AM

In the September of 1973 I had just started working for the company I would eventually retire from. I had a 64 Galaxy 500 that just kept nickel and diming me to death, so it was time for me to buy a decent car. Dad had been employed at a Pontiac dealership from 1963 through 1968, so a GTO was on my short list. I hadn't really given Oldsmobiles much consideration, in spite of two high school buddies, one who had a 68 4-4-2, and the other with a 69 H/O. I had ridden in both, but was still looking for a GTO, or a Roadrunner, thanks to a family friend who had a 69.

I mentioned this to a co-worker in a conversation, and he replied that I needed his 1970 4-4-2. Hell, I didn't know he had one! Turned out his wife drove it, as it ate too much gas for his 40 mile drive to work. He had bought it off the second owner, to settle that guys bill at a local body shop where he saw the car setting. It had been ran through a fence and had needed a little touch up. A year later he decided I needed it worse than he did, so he made me a great offer. He said I could buy it for $1000, which was a little over half of what they were selling for at the time.

Dad and I drove over to his house one day to check it out, and see if it was worth having. Other than some needed seat repair, and a slipping clutch, the car was good to go. It had 49,000 miles on it, so it was still under warranty!

We took the deal, came back with a check a week later, and drove it home.
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Well guys i got mine from a friend from high school. I loved the car so much everytime i seen it i would have to find a reason to talk to her. After highschool we talked off and on over the years. During this time i had gotten married and kids and all that jazz. I had a 66 mustang that was my baby and on my sons first birthday i pulled it out of the garage and took it to the carwash to give it a much needed bath for our weekend of celebration with the kids. On my way out of the carwash i was broadsided by a drunk driver and totaled my mustang. I was completely devistated as i had worked on it since i was 11. I sent it to the junkyard and watched them crush it and get it ready to send off. I moped around the house for months it was like i had lost a family member. Out of the blue she calls and asked me if i wanted the cutlass. I was all excited like a kid at christmas. I then asked her what she wanted for it and she said she couldnt sell it. My heart dropped then she said it needed lots of work and didnt run if i wanted it just come and get it. I had the trailer hooked and ready in minuets. Its was only about 15 miles away i was at her house within the hour. I played with it for a few min and drove it up on the trailer
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:43 AM

Most people know my car but not how I found it. I worked on the 9th floor of an office building in Riverside CA. One morning I was in early and looked down into the employee parking lot to see a gold oldsmobile convertible pull into the parking lot. The lady that got out was my secretary!!!!! To make a long story short it was her husbands car and he had recently died. She just drove it once and I happened to see it. I bought it for $600 from her in 1978. Did not really know the significance of the car till years later. 1970 w-30 convt 4 speed ordered with w-27. I should have given her $650.

Lee
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:51 AM
"Car"mudgeon

I inherited my '72 Supreme from my Grandfather that ordered it new in '71.

Scot
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Friends bought a 74 Duster and that meant we had to get a classic also. Our's was on Craig's List in the Upper MI, 2 Hours away, went for a ride to see it, Hubby started talking price before I could say NO that there was too much wrong with it. Drove it home and it died 18 miles away and had to be flat bedded home.

Though my first Olds was a 1994 Cutlass Ciera that was my Grandmothers who bought it new, and when she went into the nursing home I got it.

Last edited by kbgood; February 16th, 2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:34 AM

In about 1978 , some time after American Griffie came out, my dad and I got the hots to get a classic car. Someone told us about this 55 Packard convertible this older lady had for sale high in the mountains of Westwood California, off we went. Well the Packard was a Oldsmobile but it looked pretty solid and Oldsmobile's had been our family cars for years.We bought it for $750, well my dad did anyway. We managed to get it fired up and quickly found a major leak coming from the block around the drain petcock. Seems they drained the radiator but not the block ,not good. After a couple jugs of Bars- Leak and a Jerry can full of water I got it to my dads farm some 80 miles away, there it sat in a equipment shed for almost 20 years.
The car was deteriorating just setting there and he had lost interest in a restoration after so many years. After pleading my case he said it was mine.It took about 4 years to get where it is now, if it went up and down or around and around or just sat there it was repaired or replaced.It's now finished and I'm looking to upgrade some of the old restoration that's showing wear. Well that's my Olds story and I'm sticking to it ...Tedd
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM

Old thread

MAN THIS IS AN OLD THREAD, This story may be posted here some where in the past.. Tedd
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:03 AM

I found my 1965 Delta 88 two door on Craigslist.

When I was really little my mom had a 65 Cutlass that my dad had bought her. I don't really know the history on that car, but it had been repainted several times. Once she loaned it to her brother because she had two cars and he needed to get to work. He ended up driving it into a ditch and bending some part of the axle somehow. My dad was not keen on doing the work to fix it up, even though he knew my mom loved the car, so it sat under a tarp for about 20 years while I occasionally played inside the terribly deteriorated cabin. I loved that car and it became my childhood dream to fix it up for my mom someday. About two years ago, after hauling the car to our place and continuing to let it sit (we had no money to even consider doing the work it needed at this point), my dad decided we should crush it because we would never get done fixing it and we needed the space for my car. My friend actually wanted to buy it from me, but my dad sent it to the crusher because he didn't think I was serious...

After my first POS car's transmission died (2001 Daewoo Nubira), I decided to get the kind of car that I had really wanted in the first place, so I began hunting for a classic, much to the dismay of my dad. My mom obviously supported my decision

After much searching on craigslist and patience I came across my 65 Delta 88. As soon as I test drove it, I knew it had to be mine.
Old February 16th, 2012, 03:28 PM

I was searching for a car to buy for my wife, since we needed another car. Went on eBay to search starting from the distance miles to where we lived. I came across a 65 Convertible Cutlass, what got my attention was it was a CUTLASS and of course a convertible! I already own a 61 Chevy Impala, so I didnt know much about the Olds. I placed a bid on the cutlass but end up outbidding, but either way, Wife was happy that I didn’t win the auction. A few days passed and I get a email from the owner stating that the winner of the convertible flaked out, it was one of those people that bid but does not buy. So he made a offer of $2000 if I wanted it, SURE enough I didn’t tell wifey, Took my Dad and my 2 boys, and 2 hours drive I picked up the Convertible! Now the engine is up and running, next step is Paint and interior along with some wheels. I can’t wait for the final result! I’ll be the only one in my town that has a 1965 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible!!
Old February 16th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I bougt mine from a co worker and olds entusiast and racer. At the time i was rebuilding a chevy 350 to put in a car and i had my eyes on a 78 2 door malibu. Once my manger asked me a few questions he said have you thoght of something else besides a chevy. At the time i was a hardcore bowtie man. I went to go look at the car the same day he mentioned it. Out of all the cars he had which includes many 442's and w cars and a 68 H/O unrestored ., this one sat outside his barn with the divets in tbe pavement proving it was the redheaded stepchild of the bunch. He told me "hook your battery up to she will run". It did and i was hooked i sold all my chevy stuff and bougt my running rust bucket for 2k . I spent the next 1.5 years fixing and going to all the olds races learning everyting i could. Restoring this car was one of the best life experiences ever.
Old February 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM

I was going to look at two cars from the same seller, guy said $5k for either one. I was informed by a third party that One was a '59 88, the other was supposed to be a '51 88 coupe. Got some pics and the '59 was in mid restoration, needed a lot of work. and the '51 was actually an Imperial, and needed a lot more work.
Went back to work and told a co-worker about the cars, and he said he knew of a '62 cutlass that was ready to run. Went to look at it that day, and it looked great. Needed some work but it ran, and had a solid body. I took it home a week later.
now its in my garage waiting for some time to get the brakes and safety stuff checked out to go for it's first drive.
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM

I Bought My 1978 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham For 2,500 Dollars In 2006 And I Am The Second Owner, When I Bought The Car It Originally Had The 260 and th-200 With 106,958 Original Miles Until The Motor Went Out And Now I Have a 1973 350 Rocket With The Crappy #8 Heads And Th-350..... I Plan On Swapping Out the #8's For The set Of #5's I Picked Up From A Co-Worker For 100 Bucks, Im Hoping To Do A Comp 270 H Cam, With 2000 to 2500 rpm stall and I Pray I Find A 8.5 rearend From A Grand National Or 442 From The 80's I Dont Want To Put Work Into My 7.5....If I Have To I Want to Install A Posi And 3.42 Gears And Maybe Switch To a 200-4r
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM

My wife kept telling me about a 64 olds dynamic 88 she would pass on the way home from work. I went to the used car dealership to inspect it. It was parked in the back of the yard.
I loved the interior but not the price..$2,100 too much for my blood. A month later I stopped and looked again..now it was $1,700 I told the dealership owner I could only afford $1,200 but not all at once. He said yes
I gave him $200 and would pay $200 every month until paid and HE agreed!!
A week before Christmas I still owed $400.00. I told him I would be in that week to give him another $200.00. On Christmas Eve the owner called me and said just come and pick up the car "MERRY CHRISTMAS". So in the end I only paid $800.00.
The car has been a joy
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:40 AM

1974 H/O indy pace car festival car

I have owned many Olsmobiles' , but the coolest purchase was last year. I got a call from a friend, when I was at work. I almost didn't answer cause I told this guy not to call me during work hours. Hey Jimmy, you want to buy a 74 H/O for $1000.00. I asked him for the punchline, but he told me that he was at a local bone yard, and there was one there fore a grand. I told him to grab it for me. then he called back and said they wouldn't have a title until the next week. I was able to go look at it that evenging, I took pics then, but they wont load here. The next week came, Monday and the car was not for sale anymore, the junkyard owners son wanted the car. Then Wednesday I got a call and the car was fore sale again, but they where taking bids. Friday came, we called and they said the car was ours, no title yet, call back Monday. Called back Monday, the car may be sold to someone else. I told my buddy to go down there and find out, WTF. Then later that day, when I figured it was gone, I get a call, telling me the car was mine. Then I posted the vin on 1973-77 Olds forums, and found out it is a festival car, #71. The thread is still very popular, its under introductions. The one that almost got away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
014.jpg (31.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by cutlassjim; February 27th, 2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
I inherited my '72 Supreme from my Grandfather that ordered it new in '71.

Scot
For some reason, I'm feeling really old right about now... and, no, I'm not going to tell how I got my Olds.
Old February 18th, 2012, 08:57 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Bunser
For some reason, I'm feeling really old right about now... and, no, I'm not going to tell how I got my Olds.
Aw come on Bunser please share your experience
Old February 18th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Olds Nut

My sx i aquired through a friend of a friend of a friend. It started when i sold my 76 442 and i was talking to every one i knew and was asking that i was looking for a 70-72 442 and wanted a decent one not a project. The 1st friend said call this guy he has a 442 for sale and it runs and looks great. so i called and was given a number to call another guy which in turn gave me the # to the owner and turns out he said it was a Cutlass SX, be being dumb i said what was that and he explained the car, i told him i was looking for a 442. The next few days i reseached the Cutlass SX and i was amazed on how rare these cars were. I called him the next day and scheduled a meeting. Once i seen the car and drove it it had to be mine. I left nd promised a deposit that week end and it was mine. Now that i am cruising around in my SX (circa2003) i ran across my new found friend Bill which was a owner of a 70 442. We exchange info and be came new found friends. We stayed intouch all the time. Sping of 2009 he called me and said he was ready to sell him call and if i knew anybody that wanted to buy it, i said hell yes me!!! I told him give me year and i will take it off his hands. June 2010 i purchased the car from him the original owner , he purchased the car in oct 1969. I have the original title, lon papers, 2 build sheets, window sticker and fill in the blank option sheet.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:11 PM

I am a Patrol Deputy, and I first saw my Cutlass in 2007 when I got assigned to the North District of my County(Brazoria). I was driving by the Regional Airport when I noticed a fairly nice looking Cutlass sitting half in the grass infront of a Hangar. The car was the same color, as a 72 Cutlass I had when I was in High School. That was my first project car, and funded my first race engine, but I always regretted getting rid of it. Over the next few weeks I noticed the car never moved and the tags were out of date since 2001. At that point I had to ask the owner if I could buy it. When I approached the owner, he advised me his mother had died in 2001, and the car had been sitting there since then. She was the original owner and she only put 73,000 miles on it. He said that his brother was supposed to get it and restore it so he could not sell it. I was happy to hear it was going to have a good home so I left it at that.....for a while anyways. About 6 months later I noticed the car was still there, and I recieved the same answer when I asked him again. Well this game kept up till 2010, as i watched the car deteriorate a little more every day. Finally in the summer of 2010 the guy gave in and said he would be selling it soon, and he would leave a note on the window when he was ready. Sure enough the next week.....a note in the window that said FOR SALE SATURDAY $1,500. I was so excited!!!! I met him on that saturday and gave him $1200 cash which he accepted. I towed the car the 5 miles home...rebuilt the carb.....and She roared to life. Now 2 years later I am moving into a Place with a large Garage so.....Let the rebuild begin. Below are a couple Pictures from the day I bought it, Followed by a current Pic.
Attached Images
Car and kids 054.jpg (121.6 KB, 45 views)
Car and kids 056.jpg (138.7 KB, 44 views)
i phone backup pics 662.jpg (48.7 KB, 50 views)
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:22 PM
olds 56

i traded my 1996 dodge dually truck for the car, its a 1956 olds rocket 88 sedan,i got cash and the car just needs paint, or i may just do it flat black
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Ole' Grandpa Joe.
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:15 AM

I posted this in my introduction, so I'll just quote it.(:

It was my mother's, but she didn't get to drive it once before it was taken apart and never put back together by someone she payed to paint, and restore it(it was successfully painted tho!). After she got (most of) the money back from him, and the car with (most of) the parts, she gave it to my uncle, along with $6000 dollars to restore it. Long story short, the money's gone and it sat for 10 years, losing a few parts along the way. 10 years later, it's sitting in my garage, waiting to be rebuilt! debaiting on dropping a 455 in it, or sticking with a 350. I'll have pics soon.
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM

The old fashioned way...I ordered it from the factory of course.
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM

1969 Cutlass S

I was installing a furnace in a guys house out in Holt. There was a 69' Cutlass in the driveway next door. It was faded red, and im not kidding a red ring in the driveway around the car from the paint on the car. No one home, I put a business card under the windshield wiper. About 4 years later the owner called, I didn't remember the car off hand, but he told me where he lived, and it started coming back to me. He told me the starter was bad and it had been sitting in his moms driveway for about 10 years. $1800 was the price. "SOLD"
Attached Images
016.jpg (94.1 KB, 43 views)
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:16 PM

72 Hurst Olds

I arrived at high school in '76 driving a white '67 Camaro RS ragtop w/ gold stripes (I have a soft spot for that color combo - go figure), thinking I was the baddest a$$ in the parking lot. Very soon I noticed a class mate rumbling in piloting something completely different than anything else - a '72 H/O. I remember thinking that was the wildest looking car I'd ever seen and dayum, I'd like to have it! Sometime in '82, I saw that exact car sitting at a local used car lot, and as the old Camaro was needing some expensive work, I traded it and $200 and drove off in a new to me '72 Hurst! It was my daily driver until I took it off the road in '87 at 196K miles with the intent of fixing it up. Then I got married, had 5 kids, and it sat in Granny's barn until 2006, when it came out and has undergone a complete frame off resto. It should be cranked for the first time since '87 in about a month! I dated my wife in it, and have many, many great memories with that old sled! Can't wait to hear that 455 open up again!
Attached Images
1972 Hurst Olds.JPG (69.7 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by hurstman1972; April 17th, 2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Pic
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:10 AM

Well I'll start with the Olds that started my love affair with these cars. My dad bought new a 1987 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 2 door. When he got a new car in 1996 I got the Cutlass. I was 17. Unforunately almost a year to the day later a car pulled out in front of me and totalled my first Cutlass. Fast forward to 1999 I was in the market for a muscle car, but not really sure what I wanted and after looking at a couple over priced project cars (1970 SS396 4 speed Chevelle with major work needed) I stumbled on my 1969 Cutlass S. The car needed paint, but was presentable original interior. It had 15" American Racing Daisy wheels on it with the original 14" SSII wheels in the trunk. I replaced the rear springs and shocks repainted the original wheels and put tires on them in the first month. After about 2 years and 140,000 the 350 started burning oil. When they tore the original pistons out the oil ring on number 7 was froze to the piston. Then last year I treated the old girl to new paint and new vinyl top. I paid $2,800.
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:13 AM
New 2 Olds

I probably wouldn't have mine if I didn't have my Caprice first. Last April I found my Olds on craigslist, took me a month to decide on it as it's a little rough around the edges but I had to have it. My Caprice was my driver on and off for the ten years I've owned it, but needs a new engine now and I miss it desperately but keep getting sidetracked with the $$ needed to do it right. The Olds has become the #1 diversion now.
My current daily driver is an '83 Bonneville who's only real similarity to the Caprice is the styling- the g-body's do not ride like the full size cars I found, which was my main reason for buying it, thinking it'd be just as smooth. It handles great, but the car picks up bumps in the road I can't even see and just trips over expansion cracks. Could be just because it's a Pontiac it's got a sport suspension I don't know. I spent two years bringing it back to life.
Anyway I saw the Olds, and figured it was an easy way to get back into a big car. Same color scheme and everything as my beloved Caprice. I've wanted a 98 of some vintage for a while anyway so it was perfect. Well a year later I still haven't driven it! The brakes went out when I got it home and I've begun something of a restoration on it as time and money allow. Rubbed out the paint, replaced trim, lenses, gutted the interior and cleaned it top to bottom, what haven't I done. I just hope it lasts me a while. It's the most beautiful car I've owned so far IMO.
Attached Images
swcar.jpg (79.8 KB, 16 views)
BILD0783.jpg (105.3 KB, 15 views)
BILD0792.jpg (109.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by at3reg98; April 18th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:35 PM

Found my 72 Cutlass on Kijiji. The wife and I had been looking for a "project" car for awhile and this one came with the right price. It was owned by a young guy who's dad had bought it for him. It spent the early part of its life in California, bought brand new, and then was sold in Canada buy the daughter of the guy who had bought it new in 72. Apparently she was a little old lady by the time she sold it (don't know if she was from Pasadena). Anyway, the young guy sold because dad wanted him to be in a 4x4 in the winter. It's been in our garage since February.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Justin

okay I ve owned many cars in my life, but my first oldsmobile cutlass was a 81 that I bought for a high school shop class project .As soon as I got it running I sold it to a friend. but when I was 21 i barrowed my uncles spare car because mine was broke down it was a 72 cutlass supream it was passed around tgrough the family and no o ne showed her any love. I drove it for a month and asked him what he would sell it for he gave her to me for 800.00 I gladly paid it she was in rough shape as you can see from my album but i got her looking great sadly my ex wife made me a deal sell my car and give her half and she would sign the divorce papers whitch made me the primary parent for my two children with her it was a priceless trade off in my opion!! now i ve talked abut this car for years now and about three months ago I came across a 65 cutlass and told my current wife about it, while I was at work she bought it and had the car delivered to me for are aniversery .
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:32 PM
*ssholes Garage

Originally Posted by esisson
I was wondering about how people on "Classic Oldsmobile" found and purchased there Oldsmobiles. On Ebay, In a Barn, Setting behind someone's house? Etc. I'd really like to hear the stories and please include some pictures if you have some!

I found my 442 on Ebay. I was chicken and didn't bid on it. The auction ended without reaching it's Reserve. I emailed the owner and asked to come by and look at it. It was about 200 miles from my house. I spent the whole day driving up to look at it, made an offer, paid him cash, rented a trailer and drove home with it the same day. Drove home in the worst rain storm with a huge smile on my face!
Won it in a poker game.
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by kjr442
I have had several 69 442's 71 and 72 as well. I have had the orange 72 442 for over 20 years now. I found her in a circle drive way in front of a house in Dallas, one of the busiest roads around by the way. It took me about three years to make the deal. I paid 1300.00 and after tuning her up I drove her for about ten years. I sold her once and was taking payments he paid up to 1500.00 and gave her back. he said that he could not afford to pay out the rest. That was a lucky thing for me as I was kicking myself for selling it anyway. This is a numbers matching 350 4-speed car.
I know this post is old but, I KNOW THAT CAR. It was parked on Midway Road between Northaven and Forest, east side of the road wasn't it? I tried to by it from the owner for 5 years, he was an old friend. I always told him, "Enrique when you want to sell that 4 speed 442, call me." I told him this probably 20 times over 5 years, whenever I would see him. Well you guessed it, he never called. One day I drove by on the way home from my parent's house, passed his parent's house and it was gone. That was a sad day. I'm glad it is still around. I rode in it many times back in the day.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:06 PM

I bought my car from a used car dealer not too far from my place. The car originally came from British Columbia, but the guy who brought it here gave up finishing restoring the car and it ended up at the dealership. I was told that the rear part of the chassis was bad so I never bothered to check it out, even though I've loved Olds 442s since I was little. One day I was in my garage working on a car and I heard this roaring from a V8 that was getting closer, so I ran to the bay doors of the garage to see what it was and only caught a glimpse of the rear bumper as it passed by.

But it turned around at the end of my road and came back so I waited by the door to see what it was and it was the car that ended up becoming mine. I went down to the dealership to check the car over and there was nothing wrong with the chassis. In fact, the chassis and all the underneath of the car still had paint on it. I knew I couldn't afford it, but tried to beat the guy down in price. He wouldn't budge. Then a week later a guy stopped in and offered to buy my '79 Trans Am and I used the money to buy the car. This was back on May 26th 1999. I've had the car ever since. I should also add the car was a daily driver until 2006.
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by texxas
I know this post is old but, I KNOW THAT CAR. It was parked on Midway Road between Northaven and Forest, east side of the road wasn't it? I tried to by it from the owner for 5 years, he was an old friend. I always told him, "Enrique when you want to sell that 4 speed 442, call me." I told him this probably 20 times over 5 years, whenever I would see him. Well you guessed it, he never called. One day I drove by on the way home from my parent's house, passed his parent's house and it was gone. That was a sad day. I'm glad it is still around. I rode in it many times back in the day.
Thanks for the info David, I hope to see some pictures of the good old day's.
I drove this car allot, and loved it.
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:47 AM

I've always been a bit of a tappet head and doing up cars for many years and I knew I was was going to branch out soon from the traditional Aussie stuff to American sooner or later, so much so that when we put gates on next to our house I went extra wide for the tank (whenever that would be).

I was telling a mate of mine I was looking for a Cadillac and he said:"What about a 58 Oldsmobile"? "A whatta"? I replied. Eventally I saw this 'King of Chrome' but it was not to be. Things happened.

I rang a guy that sells American imports in Adelaide for my Cadillac and I said I don't want much tinkering just change wheels, a tidy up and drive. His Caddys were $130 000 or $24 000. You can imagine the difference in time, $$$, effort required on each.

He said what about an 1959 Ninety Eight Oldsmobile coupe. Looked at the photos, fell for it, havn't looked back. Made flight plans that day, purchased a week later, trucked to my doorstep 2 weeks after that.

Now I have something not run of the mill, few and very far between here in Australia. Shes going in for new paint and seats at the end of the month.
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:18 AM

I inherited my 1972 Olds 442 from my mother. My dad bought it brand new. Earl...
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:56 PM

My grandmother purchased it brand new in 1972 when I was 7 years old. I told her for years I wanted it and when I was 17 she sold it to me. Been in love with it since then. I put it in Moth ***** when I was in college in 1989. Moved it from one storage to another and in 1998 when I moved some 250 miles from my parents house I put a new battery in it, changed oil and added some fluids and drove it to my new home. It sat for the the next 14 years under tarps and acted as a storage location for the car top carrier for my family. Now my son is 17 years old and wants to take it to prom next week. I pulled it out 3 weeks ago. I performed all the basic stuff plus rebuilding the original 2 BL carb and replaced the 4 bl I put on in high school. Master brake cyl and booster. Pulled all the lights out to clean connections and she's ready. Just have a couple things I'm not happy with like a little black smoke (running too rich I think) and I think it should have a lot more power from the hole. I can turn the tire over in a power brake but from a dead stop it's kind of like a slug. I think timing, points and some carb fine tuning should solve that.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:00 PM

Forgot a pic

Sorry....forgot the pic
Attached Images
cutlass.jpg (86.1 KB, 21 views)

Quick Reply: How did you get your Oldsmobile?