General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hotel Motel Holiday Inn

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Hotel Motel Holiday Inn

Ran across this photo.So how times have you visited a Holiday Inn traveling on vacation with the family or other trips. Any "stories" or locations from the past? Mine was on I-75 exit 98 I think-Richmond,KY.
EKU University is there. Some very unique times and people. (1980's)
AL
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
greatsign.jpeg (52.4 KB, 85 views)
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Oldsdruid

I haven't seen a Holiday Inn sign like that in years. The local one opened in 1959 and kept their neon sign immaculate until HI Corporate yanked their franchise out from under them around 1990 or so. Seems Corporate had plans for a new, corporate-owned HI Express in the city, and it is predictably bland and lacking in character.

The original had a Polynesian Lounge (that I tended to spend too much time in as a drunken college boy since a college ID got you drinks for half price), indoor pool, a great restaurant and a matchless reputation for catering and banquets. They had just spent close to half a million bucks upgrading it (including repainting and refurbing the original 1959 sign) when Corporate dropped the hammer. The owners quickly negotiated a franchise with Ramada Inns, but it never was the same under that name. It finally closed as "The Stratford Inn and Dining" and sat empty for close to ten years. It has been reinvented as the Highlander Pub and Lodge, though most of the rooms and suites have been converted to apartments.

I think HI might do well to recreate that signage instead of that boring bland logo they use now. Holiday Inns are now about as faceless a lodging chain as you'll find, whereas they used to be a destination of sorts for a traveler. My folks generally went for mom-and-pop motels when we traveled, but once in a while the old man would spring for a Holiday Inn.
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM

Don't know what's going on with Holiday Inn, as have a real nice one by me in the Detroit area, with a banquet hall. Changed names(believe Ramada Inn), but back to a Holiday Inn again.
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:25 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I haven't seen a Holiday Inn sign like that in years. The local one opened in 1959 and kept their neon sign immaculate until HI Corporate yanked their franchise out from under them around 1990 or so. Seems Corporate had plans for a new, corporate-owned HI Express in the city, and it is predictably bland and lacking in character.

The original had a Polynesian Lounge (that I tended to spend too much time in as a drunken college boy since a college ID got you drinks for half price), indoor pool, a great restaurant and a matchless reputation for catering and banquets. They had just spent close to half a million bucks upgrading it (including repainting and refurbing the original 1959 sign) when Corporate dropped the hammer. The owners quickly negotiated a franchise with Ramada Inns, but it never was the same under that name. It finally closed as "The Stratford Inn and Dining" and sat empty for close to ten years. It has been reinvented as the Highlander Pub and Lodge, though most of the rooms and suites have been converted to apartments.

I think HI might do well to recreate that signage instead of that boring bland logo they use now. Holiday Inns are now about as faceless a lodging chain as you'll find, whereas they used to be a destination of sorts for a traveler. My folks generally went for mom-and-pop motels when we traveled, but once in a while the old man would spring for a Holiday Inn.
Great story-glad it brought back some memories! Saw one in Midland Texas that sounds like it went the same way.
AL
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:56 AM
MOTORHEAD

Nice pic shimmer! That brings back memories. My dad was a salesman who traveled the 5 state area in the 70's. (N and S Dakota , Minn, Iowa and Wisconsin) During the summer we would travel with him. He would pound the pavement during the daytime and we would spend lots of time in various Holiday Inn swimming pools across the midwest. Fun Times!

In Burnsville MN there is a motel with theme based rooms including one with an Oldsmobile and a hot tub.

Following description off the web: "If your fantasy is a drive-in movie or a secluded lover's lane you had best rent Lover's Leap"--a room with a bed inside a maroon 1973 Oldsmobile Delta '88 Royale convertible.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:19 AM

I remember going through the Rockies around the 1964 time frame. My sister was just born and we were on our way to California. We were in my Fathers 61 Olds Super 88. I loved that car. It started snowing heavily and they asked people to not drive so we pulled into a Holiday Inn along the way. I always liked them but they were a bit pricey, even back then.
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:39 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
I remember going through the Rockies around the 1964 time frame. My sister was just born and we were on our way to California. We were in my Fathers 61 Olds Super 88. I loved that car. It started snowing heavily and they asked people to not drive so we pulled into a Holiday Inn along the way. I always liked them but they were a bit pricey, even back then.
$7.95 to $9.95 a night in many locations, but that was when $9.95 would buy a lot of things it now takes $99.95 to buy today. Don't you just love progress!
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:38 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

My wife and I got married in May 1966. Times were pretty simple then. Our wedding reception was at the Holiday Inn in Monroe, LA. My father-in-law paid $10.00 for the ballroom. Our wedding night was spent in the Holiday Inn in Ruston about 35 miles away. We then went to Hot Springs, AR and stayed in the Holiday Inn. None of them remain as Holiday Inn's and the one in Monroe was pretty run down the last time I saw it. For the time, it was huge in that it had several hundred rooms. I never thought about until now what a big part Holiday Inn played in our wedding. Back in that time, they were very nice. Times change in 45-46 years. Thanks for jogging my memory of a great time in mine and my wife's lives.
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:30 AM
Oldsdruid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_Inn

Interesting part about the sign, about halfway down the page.

I always wondered what happened to the local HI sign, especially after they spent all that money on it. Guess HI Corporate made them scrap it.
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:08 PM
Geezer

There are still quite a number of the old Inns from the 1960s and 1970s around that have been picked up by folks that have given them a serious remodeling. If on the road and see one of those that's where I'll stay instead of the new "cracker box" multi-story hotels they are trying to pass off. Actually overall the trend in lodging really sucks compared to the good old days when motels had grounds to roam and a full blown 24/7 restaurant or one next door.

A few years back I ran into what appeared to have been a Best Western of the late 1950s era in Las Cruses, NM that had been marvelously redone. Rooms were huge, furnishings all new, the restaurant good, and plenty of parking for my pickup and 30 ft trailer with a car sitting on it. Price was about half what one of these new modern wonders would have been and the "FREE" breakfast was one cooked to order, not just a makeshift steam table with lumpy scrambled eggs, soggy bacon, and something trying to pass for hash browns along with the obligatory tough make them yourself waffles. Refreshing experience!
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM
same but different

Our old Holiday Inn had a neon sign just like that one. I'd have to guess the sign disapeared around 1980,maybe sooner.

No doubt it was a pretty fancy place,with indoor pool,miniature golf and banquet rooms. It still has the game floor with shuffle board.

Its still there, but now known as the State Fair Best Western Motor Inn. I reckon the cheap rooms are just under 100 bucks.

Thanks for the memory Shimmer.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:45 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by redoldsman
My wife and I got married in May 1966. Times were pretty simple then. Our wedding reception was at the Holiday Inn in Monroe, LA. My father-in-law paid $10.00 for the ballroom. Our wedding night was spent in the Holiday Inn in Ruston about 35 miles away. We then went to Hot Springs, AR and stayed in the Holiday Inn. None of them remain as Holiday Inn's and the one in Monroe was pretty run down the last time I saw it. For the time, it was huge in that it had several hundred rooms. I never thought about until now what a big part Holiday Inn played in our wedding. Back in that time, they were very nice. Times change in 45-46 years. Thanks for jogging my memory of a great time in mine and my wife's lives.
So glad I could help the memory. We all forget the past sometimes and that's why when I come across something like this I like to share it with everyone. Some wonderful stories in reply to my post
Al Graff-Lexington,KY
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by rocketraider
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_Inn

Interesting part about the sign, about halfway down the page.

I always wondered what happened to the local HI sign, especially after they spent all that money on it. Guess HI Corporate made them scrap it.
Thanks for the wikipedia link-very interesting-everyone should check it out.
AL
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:56 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by don71
Our old Holiday Inn had a neon sign just like that one. I'd have to guess the sign disapeared around 1980,maybe sooner.

No doubt it was a pretty fancy place,with indoor pool,miniature golf and banquet rooms. It still has the game floor with shuffle board.

Its still there, but now known as the State Fair Best Western Motor Inn. I reckon the cheap rooms are just under 100 bucks.

Thanks for the memory Shimmer.
Your more than welcome! Will have to see what I can find for everyone next "They can't take away our memories"
AL
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:51 PM
Oldsdruid

Slow down Joe, I'm a rock and roll man
I've twiddled my thumbs in a dozen odd bands
And you ain't seen nothing till you've been
In a motel baby like the Holiday Inn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=666JAioPDhM