General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hood stripe decisions...

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2010, 10:00 PM

Hood stripe decisions...

Guys,

My 69 cutlass is red with black interior and black roof. I painted the grill black and also want to put wide black stripes down the hood ala 442. I am not trying to fake a 442, but I think the stripes would be cool and the hood bulges are already perfect for it. Question: Where can I get a hood stripe kit for standard Cutlass S hood? I am not trying to make a clone or pretend it is something that it is not, just looking for a visual edge. I appreciate your opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hoodsmall.jpg (24.8 KB, 30 views)
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:41 PM
same but different

Jack, I don't know if anyone offers a stipe kit, maybe they do.

Why not go at this the old school way and use masking tape. This is pretty straight forward and you could easily do this in your garage with the right materials.

Heck, with the right dimensions you could copy the factory....or make up your own.
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:37 AM

See if this helps ya out at all

http://www.69olds.com/stripe.html
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:22 AM

I believe the stripes were available on the Cutlass S so there wouldn't be any issue of faking anything.
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Diego
I believe the stripes were available on the Cutlass S so there wouldn't be any issue of faking anything.
Actually not. The W42 wide hood stripes we standard on the W31, W30, and W32; optional only on the 442.

But jack69cutlass, as long as you're aware of that and that's what you want, go for it! No reason it wouldn't look good!!
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Official Tire Kicker

That's how I did mine and it is an "S". I think it looks great and like you I am not trying to fake anyone out, just liked the stripes.
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Registered

I think those stripes would look really good in woodgrain vinyl.
Sandy Cha Cha's Chebelle stripes are vinyl, make a pattern out of masking paoer then buy a piece of vinyl and make your own if you don't want to paint them on.
Most of the graphics places sell the vinyl by the foot, I've seen a pic of a silver 442 with charcoal carbon fiber vinyl stripes and it looks cool.
How about vinyl woodgrain flames?
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:34 AM

OK, Kurt, I stand corrected, but those stripes were optional on the W-32.

I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what the bulletins say.
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

I'd be happy to send you photos and/or measurements to help you out if you would like.

Ron

Old October 17th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Diego
OK, Kurt, I stand corrected, but those stripes were optional on the W-32.

I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what the bulletins say.
I think what you're referring to is the bulletins introducing the W32. Initial info did indicate the stripes were not standard, but I believe by the time they rolled off the the line, they were standard. Came to their senses? Subsequent ordering info (citing the SPECS April '69 edition) specifically includes the stripes as standard.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Smile

jack69cutlass- A really good Body Shop can paint those stripes on for ya if you can't find them in decals. For Gods sake don't worry about faking anything, Its your Car and make it it look like any kind of car you want. My Car is in the Shop now being turned into a 69 Hurst Olds. I'll be happy to have words with anyone who says anything negative to me about doing this.
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I think what you're referring to is the bulletins introducing the W32. Initial info did indicate the stripes were not standard, but I believe by the time they rolled off the the line, they were standard. Came to their senses? Subsequent ordering info (citing the SPECS April '69 edition) specifically includes the stripes as standard.
I think it's the inverse - they originally were standard, then made an option in a bulletin correction.
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:11 AM

you guys are great...

Lots of good advice and above all, encouragement. From OldCar_mechanic to GoodOldsGuyDougie, you all seem to appreciate what I am after, which is to improve not falsify my appreciation, enjoyment and satisfaction with my car. If it helps others appreciate our machines, all the better.

My situation is this: the paint is pretty beat and it needs bodywork to correct bondo and rust. Not major, but also not immediate. My car shares space in my garage with all the household things you would expect of a busy family with three kids. My kids love this car. They love playing in it in the garage--and I encourage it. My boy love to hold the wheel and drive and his twin sister loves to handle all the buttons. They are 3! My 7-year-old has finally gotten to the point where she likes "that old car smell". I saw a new scratch in the paint that stretches across the entire length of the driver side door. Can you imagine your rage if this were a new paint-job? I laughed and realized that I am a few years away from paint and bodywork.
I want my kids to enjoy this car now and in the future, not be afraid to get close to it, to be intimidated by it, to hate it if it seems to be more important to me than those kids. Therefore, I am putting time and money into the running gear and will enjoy a 15 year-old paint job that can handle the loving, excited, and careless caresses of little kids.
I will go with a vinyl graphic stripe for now and have definitely decided to go with a white/gold H/O package when the time comes. Thanks for all your help and support. Anyone have advice on how to re-size pics, mine are too big for posting, but I really want to show you what I have. Thanks a lot guys.
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:59 AM

I hear ya there betty our 66 lemans fills that roll for now . I has a soccer bag in it and a few leaves from getting in and out but it has more miles on
it in the last month than my daily driver.