General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hood Flutter 1972 vista cruiser

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2021, 07:16 PM

Hood Flutter 1972 vista cruiser

I just took a 3000 mile road trip in my 1972 Vista Cruiser. The only problem was I couldn't tolerate was hood flutter. At 70-80 mph, my hood would start to flutter on both sides. I adjusted the side rubber mounts to tighten up the hood and it pushed the sides up too far as it stabilized it. It appeared as the middle latch needed to be adjusted down a bit. How is that done? The only solution I could see would be to lower the middle latch by adding washers to space it down. Any suggestions?
Old August 2nd, 2021, 09:08 PM
Banned

Sounds to me like it could be a simple few adjustments. If the hood sits high at the cowel adjust the springs. Lower the rear side. Look at it. Is it high in rear of the hood then goes down?

Flutter might be as simple as adjusting the front pins. Close the hood. Does the front of the hood feel loose? Like springy when it's closed?
Old August 2nd, 2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by cwracer
I just took a 3000 mile road trip in my 1972 Vista Cruiser. The only problem was I couldn't tolerate was hood flutter. At 70-80 mph, my hood would start to flutter on both sides. I adjusted the side rubber mounts to tighten up the hood and it pushed the sides up too far as it stabilized it. It appeared as the middle latch needed to be adjusted down a bit. How is that done? The only solution I could see would be to lower the middle latch by adding washers to space it down. Any suggestions?
Yes, you can put washers or shims between the latch and core support (lowering the latch). You should not need to to this, but after 50 years, the mating surfaces of the latch tooth and catch on the hood can wear down and shimming is a pretty easy fix for that problem.
Old August 2nd, 2021, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Sounds to me like it could be a simple few adjustments. If the hood sits high at the cowel adjust the springs. Lower the rear side. Look at it. Is it high in rear of the hood then goes down?

Flutter might be as simple as adjusting the front pins. Close the hood. Does the front of the hood feel loose? Like springy when it's closed?
Could also be helpful to lower the front bolts on the hinge to bring the front of the hood down heavier. It can me a little maddening but once you figure all the math out 👍

Last edited by no1oldsfan; August 2nd, 2021 at 09:24 PM.