General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Holy snot rockets!

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Running On Empty

Holy snot rockets!

Can you imagine minding your own business leisurely driving and this happens?

Old April 7th, 2023, 01:47 PM

Not to mention how the runaway tire rubs salt in the wounds with a second hit from behind!
Old April 7th, 2023, 02:03 PM
Administrator

I would think that there would be a need for surgery to remove some seat cushions.
Old April 7th, 2023, 02:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Fortunately the driver was not seriously injured. I had a scarily similar near miss some years ago. I was trailering with my crewcab dually, eastbound on the Ohio Turnpike at dusk. We came up to a tractor trailer; one of the rear trailer wheels had a glowing red wheel bearing. I was just about to accelerate to pass and try to flag the driver when the wheel and tire departed the trailer and bounced up into the air. I stood on the brakes as the tire landed directly in front of my truck and bounded up and over. Fortunately the tire didn't touch anyone and ended up against the median divider, but wow.
Old April 7th, 2023, 02:24 PM

That is scary. One night about 30 years ago, I was on I-35 pulling off at an exit in Waco, TX, when the truck behind me lost a wheel. I was in the exit lane when the truck went by me on my left with its rotor grinding into the pavement shooting sparks in the air. The wheel passed me on the right, and the wheel was on fire. Somehow both missed me. It was a crazy sight.
Old April 7th, 2023, 02:48 PM

Long Island Expressway. Truck wheel came off doing about 70. Rolling down the highway until it hit a pothole and shot up. As it came back down. It shot up even higher, like the old Wham-O Superball. it just went higher and higher going down the highway. Never knew what happen, as I got off the next exit. You see a lot of crazy things on the highway. First time I took my girlfriend from upstate NY. To the beach on Long Island. Two guys on the Southern State Parkway were driving into each other, over and over. My girl looked at me, said she never wanted to live there.
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:15 PM

A dear friend of mine was killed in 2009 by a flying truck tire on NJ or GS parkway. Came from opposite side of road, over Jersey barrier and right in the kisser, through the windshield. Tragic.

​​​​​​….
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:26 PM

Seen three wheel/tire failures through the decades. One didn't end well.

One was a small SUV that dropped it's under the rear full size spare in front of me while going through an active staffed construction zone. The short concrete barrier contained it so it missed the workers.

A year ago while towing an 8k lb trailer on the interstate the trailer in front of us had a catastrophic blowout of both right side tires, tore off the long fender and it all was dancing in the air. Had just enough wiggle room to maneuver around...almost had to spend a while at the next rest area for "clean up".
Old April 7th, 2023, 07:33 PM

Around 1990 I was driving the ‘71 vert on I-10 eastbound out of Houston in the right lane, with my companion dog Sandy the Australian Shepherd in the passengers seat. Came up to an 18 wheeler and moved to the left lane to pass. Heard a loud noise that was the tread from one of the trailers left rear tires separating. A long section of tread shot up into the air then landed in the lane to my right with a loud thump. Had I not moved over it would have come through the convertible top and no telling what the damage would have been.
Old April 7th, 2023, 07:46 PM

Long time ago I was traveling North on I-5, Cali. I noticed a semi stopped on the side of the South bound lane and the driver walking up the median. Maybe a 1/4 mile later I saw a Chrysler mini van with a truck tire almost completely embedded in the front of it. Those rolling tires carry a lot of energy.
Old April 10th, 2023, 10:27 AM

wowwww