General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

High School Nationals

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2014, 05:31 AM

High School Nationals

Yesterday, I took Charlotte on the trip of her life. 93.1 miles one way to Summit Raceway Park near Cleveland, OH! They had an event going on there called High School Nationals. Basically, a bunch of High School students, Alumni, and teachers get to drag race all day in bracket-style elimination. The winner received a $25,000 scholarship to the University of Northern Ohio! Sadly, I didn't race. Believe me, I wanted to! But we just replaced my upper radiator hose the day before because it was beginning to balloon near the thermostat. Plus, I had never driven it such a far distance before. My friend and his '79 Camaro did race though, and it was a blast riding with him on the strip!
My estimated total distance traveled for the day was ~187 miles! I went through a full tank of gas, as well (I'm assuming that's 16 gal.?). So not counting the fun I had here and there on some country back roads, my calculated mileage was ~11.6mpg. There was only one other Olds there the whole day, and old wrecked Omega 4 door!
My Dad had the hood open before I even had the car in park after I got home. Following our little post-trip inspection, he looked like he wanted to cry he was so happy. Not a single thing went wrong. Not a single thing leaked. Not a single thing hesitated the WHOLE DAY! I was so happy I kissed her. I got some pretty awesome pics and videos while I was there, too. Next year, I'll race for sure.

Oh, and just a quick question. What is the stock rear end ratio in my car? Is it 3.43? Having a 3 speed automatic and running 80mph on the highway almost the whole time almost drove me crazy...LOL

Pics:
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B...mc0UXpTV0FnbXc

Last edited by Keegan; May 5th, 2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Sounds like you had a great time.