General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Here's why you have to do your homework...

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here's why you have to do your homework...

We've often talked about mistakes in catalogs, both on-line and in print. Here's an example from the Walker Exhaust catalog. The first diagram is for an 81-85 Delta 88 with 307. Note that it specifically calls out that the diagram is "Exc. Station Wagon". RockAuto thus lists all the part numbers on this page as "exc station wagon".

Now here's the diagram for the same year Custom Cruiser.

Notice any differences (other than the tailpipe)?

What Walker is trying to say is that the DIAGRAM doesn't apply to the wagon, but whoever input that info into the RockAuto catalog took it to mean that all the parts do not apply to the wagon...
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Administrator

It's happens Joe.
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Just an Olds Guy

So? Someone who looks for D88 exhaust will still get what they want and someone looking for CC exhaust will get what they need. Clerical errors happen all the time especially when the part numbers have no meaning to the input operator, which sadly seems to be the case with a LOT of companies today.

What I found interesting when comparing the similar parts is that 1985 D88 lists the cat from walker, but 85 CC doesn't. Also lists 7 options for mufflers for CC but only 6 for D88.
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:16 AM

So why won't headers fit my Cutlass 'S'? .................................just kidding
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
What I found interesting when comparing the similar parts is that 1985 D88 lists the cat from walker, but 85 CC doesn't. Also lists 7 options for mufflers for CC but only 6 for D88.
Exactly my point. This is just an observation - I was looking for exhaust parts for a D88 that I may purchase this weekend and I was surprised when RockAuto showed that the muffler and exhaust pipe didn't fit the wagon. Obviously they do.
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
So why won't headers fit my Cutlass 'S'? .................................just kidding
Good point.
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Exactly my point. This is just an observation - I was looking for exhaust parts for a D88 that I may purchase this weekend and I was surprised when RockAuto showed that the muffler and exhaust pipe didn't fit the wagon. Obviously they do.
I don't disagree with the research part about knowing the car. IMO though MOST of the problem lies is the owners who don't know or don't make any attempt to learn about their cars and interchangeable parts. You've seen it yourself on this site where folks don't know the difference between a Cutlass S and CS, or Delta and Ninety Eight. BTW, I couldn't find anything older than 1980 on the Walker site for e search. Curious to see what they would have posted for:
Cutlass
Cutlass Cruiser
Vista Cruiser
R.A. Doesn't have any exhaust systems listed for 72 VC, and doesn't even list Cutlass Cruiser. CSM simply states 'stn wgn'.
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:04 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by TripDeuces

Headers will fit your "s" fine. It is the supreme that has the "offset" engine.

Larry
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Make sure you print those diagrams and have them on hand when you get pulled over for driving with open exhaust.
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Allan R
I don't disagree with the research part about knowing the car. IMO though MOST of the problem lies is the owners who don't know or don't make any attempt to learn about their cars and interchangeable parts. You've seen it yourself on this site where folks don't know the difference between a Cutlass S and CS, or Delta and Ninety Eight.
I couldn't agree with you more. That is exactly why I send people to Wild About Cars rather than just dish out answers to them. Nobody learns from being spoon-fed. Teach to fish is what it boils down to.