General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help with welding first project

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2012, 08:19 AM
XCELERATIONRULES!

Help with welding first project

I can't wait anymore for a welding buddy to get a free day to help me.
I need some patch panels welded in my floors,and I need some spring perches welded to my rear end.
Can you guys recommend a cheap welder to get the job done,and maybe a good book?
Thanks.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:53 AM

I'm not the greatest welder, but been doing it for years. I have a small stick welder, and oxy/acetylene torch. The torch is actually a must have, when pulling old bolts apart. For sheet metal, you're definitely talking a wire fed Mig welder. My best advice, would be enrolling in a night school welding program, as nothing better than actual hands on experience. Don't forget safety, as I have Power Cat air mover, and good larger fire extinguishers.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:17 PM

I have a Miller 135 mig welder which has been adequate for me. Cost around $400 or so. I've read some books and looked at videos but I really don't think they helped much. I try and have some scrap on hand that is the same thickness as what I'm working on so I can practice and try different heats. Helps me get it right especially on thin work. Practice, practice, practice. That and looking at good and bad welds helps. IMHO the books and vids help with teaching the "what to do" and "what not to do". Just my thoughts.
John
Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:58 PM

I actually taught myself to weld. I first tried gas welding, which is very forgiving, but it much slower than MIG. I then bought one of the inexpensive wire feed welders from Harbor Freight, and it is adequate (barely) for the small amount of welding I do. Whatever you end up buying (you can't go wrong with Miller) make sure that it has the capability to use 'gas'. The flux core welding wire just does not give a nice smooth weld IMO, and has a lot more spatter. I would also suggest a welder that has variable output current, which allows you to better adjust for material thickness. If you are a once in a while welder, get a unit that runs on 120 volts, then you won't have to have any special wiring done.
If your budget allows, I strongly suggest getting an auto-darkening welding helmet. It's nice to be able to see what you are going to weld without the hassle of having to raise and lower the hood to line up welds.
Take it slow, and as mentioned, practice first on material that is the same thickness as what you are planning to weld up. I find that welding thin material is much harder than thicker stock. It is very easy to burn thru if you are not careful. If you are butt welding metal, you get a much nicer weld if you bevel the pieces first, so you are welding in to a valley, so to speak. If bevelilng is not possible, then you want to leave a thin gap between the pieces and weld in to the gap. Less grinding that way.
Hope that helps,
Randy
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:49 PM

I'm with most of what Randy said. I still think a night class is a good idea, as surely quicker, and likely some tips on buying good used welding equipment. May even let you work on your car, right there. Recall years ago, was working at a place, that decided to start welding aluminum. Somehow, I was was elected to buy a new rig. Ended up with a Miller-Matic gas wire fed unit, and probably still going strong to this day. The mentioned 120-240 volt power feed thing can be a big deal, as most better welders are 240 volt. I ran a 240 volt Romex feed to my garage, but you wouldn't believe what heavy gauge portable power feed cable costs. I put together a 50' 6 gauge SOOW feed cable with GE connectors(basically a heavy extension cord) for my stick welder, and about $300 bucks today.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM

As said above, a Miller 135 or 140(new version of the 135) is a good welder. Hobart is another good brand. When you choose your welder, find one that has infinitely adjustable amperage for dialing in your weld. Use #2 mix gas for carbon steel and Tri-mix if you plan on doing stainless. Test different levels of gas and see which works best for your application. I usually us about 25 cubic feet/hour rate for carbon steel, but may adjust depending on thickness and heat. When welding sheet metal, be sure to vary where you spot weld so you don't have heat build up and warp the metal. Look for a video online to give you a basic how-to on setting up the welder and welding sheet metal. Always remember to use proper welding protection! Flash burn is not fun and especially painful in the eyes. I didn't have my helmet set properly one time and couldn't see for a couple days. Not fun. The best way to learn to weld is find some steel and give it a go. The first few welds won't look pretty, but it will get better as you go. Have fun!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:03 PM

Welder

In my opinion the Miller-matic 140 is an excellent welder for the beginner. The auto settings feature takes all the guess work out of wire feed and heat settings.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 07:57 PM

A little more input.

As stated above, an auto darkening helmet is a great add to your welding equipment but I would advise against buying one from Harbor Freight. Mine quit working after a bit and there is no way to repair or anything. Not sure what went wrong but it can't be fixed. Although more expensive, I'd get one from a welding supply place. You might even be able to work it into the deal.

I also agree on getting a welder that will allow you to use gas. It's a much cleaner way to go and your welds will look better. If you don't have an angle grinder you're gonna need one. The less experience you have at welding, the more you will use that grinder! My nephew who is an ace welder always says the goal is to not use the grinder. On sheet metal you pretty much have to but on thicker stuff you can get good enough to not need to grind it.

The thickness of the metal you need to weld will determine the size of welder you need. My Miller 135 has a max capability of about 3/16 inch. Adequate for most jobs on a car.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM

X2 on buying a good auto darkening helmet. A cheaper one may not react as fast to the flash. It may only be a split second delay, but you will wish you spent the extra money when your eyes feel like they are full of sand!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

Thanks for all the replies.
I have 200 amp service in my home,I would just need to bore another hole from garage to basement,and run some cable.
I don't think I could afford the miller,unless I get lucky and find one used.
The auto darkening helmet sounds like a good idea also.
Thanks again.