General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help on Replacing Choke Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Help on Replacing Choke Thermostat

On my '72 Cutlass with 350 ci engine (4bbl Qjet) and 192,000 miles, in recent months I had not been having much success cranking my cold engine without pumping throttle several times while cranking and then when cranked it had a rough idle until choke valve opens completely. I tried adjusting choke by turning the choke coil cover, but no luck, even trying to follow procedure outlined in Olds Chassis Service Manual (kinda Greek to me being a novice mechanic). The carb was rebuilt by Olds dealer about one year after I bought the car new and nothing has been done to it since, except cleaning annually with carb cleaner until 1980. From then until 2 years ago, I pretty much let it sit in my enclosed garage with minimal driving each year.
I then got the hairbrain idea of removing the choke coil from the housing. It looked okay inside, except coil is not tightly wound, and there was a pile of carbon deposit at bottom of coil cover at choke heat pipe opening. I cleaned out the carbon and tried to reinstall cover, but did not know exactly how to do so.
In the meantime, I bought a new Hygrade choke coil and coil is tightly wound unlike one that has been on my car since new- not sure that makes much difference? Anyway, can anyone give me simplified instructions on how to properly reinstall the coil and cover and adjust choke so that cold engine will crank more easily without pumping so much gas. About 2 years ago and 250 miles ago, I replaced plugs, distributor cap, points/rotor/condensor, and cleaned carb with carb cleaner and recently set timing and dwell. I plan to have carb rebuilt in near future. Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by cutlass47; April 17th, 2009 at 07:36 AM.