General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help with identifying interior color from trim code

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2020, 01:07 PM

Help with identifying interior color from trim code

Hi all,

Getting back into giving some TLC to my 1972 VC. I started by building a carport for it, and with that out of the way, I'm ready to replace the carpeting, which has suffered from a few years of leaky glass in the roof.

Long story short-ish, I'm having some trouble figuring out which color carpet to order. Seems like it's not a very common color, and some sites sell nothing like it, and some sites have a few variations it could be. I'm going to order some samples, but in the event someone can help with the trim tag decode, I'd appreciate it. The paint and interior codes are both 63. Paint seems to be Saddle Bronze from what I've found here, and I see several varieties of Saddle carpet at different vendors, but they all seem too light to match what looks like a dark rusty/reddish brown carpet.

Thanks for any help!

-John
Old February 11th, 2020, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by frozencaveman
The paint and interior codes are both 63.
I don't think you're reading the cowl tag codes correctly. It would help if you would post a clear photo of the tag. The two codes on the far right in the second line to the left of PNT, which is where those numeric codes appear, are exterior colors, not interior, with the first code being the lower body color and the second being the upper body/vinyl top/convertible top color. In your case, code 63 is saddle bronze poly. So your car was originally all one color, and it was this color.

The interior trim code is on the far left of the second line. It usually has "TR" in front of it, and it's always a 3-digit number.

You might find this page useful. Note that all of the trim combination numbers are three digits.

Below is a trim tag for a '69 442. Note that the interior trim code, to the right of the TR, is 940, which corresponds to a black interior. The two paint codes to the left of PNT on the right side are 52 and A. The 52 is the lower body color, which in this case is crimson, and the A is the convertible top color as this car is a convertible. "A" means black, so this car has a black convertible top.

Old February 11th, 2020, 02:31 PM

Ah, of course - that makes sense. Thanks so much for posting the pics and clarifying the correct location for the code I need. My trim code is 999, which corresponds to Dark Saddle on the interior colors sheet. I saw 999 on my trim tag and was worried it was meaningless or some sort of custom number.

Interestingly enough, my build week might be the same as yours. All I have is a 5C and it looks like the first number got covered by the rivet, though it's pretty dirty and about all that would be revealed by wiping it briefly in the parking lot. Would that be 3rd week of May?

Old February 11th, 2020, 02:34 PM

Jeez, in my posted picture, it looks like someone drove a railroad spike through my trim tag! :P
Old February 11th, 2020, 02:38 PM

Actually, the trim tag I posted is not from my car. I just found it on the web. Also, the date code is hard to read, but it's actually 6C, which would be 3rd week of June. Your code of 5C is third week of May 1972.

The 999 is dark saddle as you say. Below is a carpet sample in that color.

The other two codes on your tag, A52 and V55, refer to other options your car came with. A52 is, I believe, bench seat, and V55 is a roof luggage rack.

This page is useful in decoding those tags, at least through the 1972 model year.

http://automotivemileposts.com/oldsmobile/rpocodes.html

Last edited by jaunty75; February 11th, 2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:27 PM

You've been very helpful, thanks!